Maester, Brother of the Night Watch, Kings Guard, Knight or something else

devilish

Imagine yourself being the only bastard son of a nobleman. He's powerful, well respected by everyone including the King and a good family man. Nevertheless his wife doesn't really like you very much and she hold great influence on your half brother who doesn't hate you but may be tempted to consider you as a threat. Your father calls you one day and asks you what you want to become. He offers you a number of options

a- a farm and fertile lands. You'll be fairly rich there nevertheless you'll still under the thumb of your brother once your father is dead.

b- a small keep and training from the best knight in his lands. That will make you a great knight but still under the thumb of your brother once your father kicks the bucket

c- training from the best knight in the lands and enough money to live the rest of your life as a well estabilished hedge knight/mercenary. Who knows? With a bit of luck you might as well build your own mercenary army

d- the opportunity to become a maester. Your father is well connected so this can be done. You'll live the rest of your life in your father's castle and your brother wont see you as a threat anymore.

e- your father is the kings best friend and your half sister will soon marry his son. He'll certainly not refuse you the chance to join the Kingsguard especially since you're good with the sword.

f- A brother of the Nights watch. Ok life is tough at the wall but your training and your connections are enough to guarantee you a couple of promotions. In 4-10 years time you might end up becoming Lord commander.

What would you choose?

I'd go to the Citadel. Because "Science, bitches!". :-P

After becoming a maester, I'd serve under some unknown lord somewhere. Then, when my father summons me to court to serve the crown, I'd refuse to sit on the small council and go to Dragonstone instead to serve my eldest half-brother. When he dies, I'd go back to the Citadel until I'm summoned again to King's Landing, where (after a succession crisis) I'm being offered the crown for some reason. This I'd quietly refuse as well, letting my younger half-brother sit the throne. Then I'd get my ass up to the Wall, where I'd serve for many many years, until a young Lord Commander sends me off on a ship voyage back to Oldtown again.

Yes, my name is Aemon Targaryen. Only in this tale, I'm a bastard. :-)

b then d. Safe, stable a good degree of autonomy being that my brother cant keep tabs on me fulltime ruling his own lands and all. and as crazy as life is ya never know, you might end up being that lord anyways and youll already have a small army and made enough connection to press your claim.

Maester isnt too bad either as long as you luck into a decent location, and who doesnt want to learn about magic and science?

b- And btw dad, can you throw in our valyrian steel ancestral sword in to sweeten the deal? Honest to gods, I won't use it as an excuse to rise in rebellion against my brother after you die. :devil:

See what you did there. ;)

b then d. Safe, stable a good degree of autonomy being that my brother cant keep tabs on me fulltime ruling his own lands and all. and as crazy as life is ya never know, you might end up being that lord anyways and youll already have a small army and made enough connection to press your claim.

Maester isnt too bad either as long as you luck into a decent location, and who doesnt want to learn about magic and science?

Strictly speaking your brother can have you killed once he's lord. Someone like Robb wouldn't do that however you may end up with Joffrey as your half brother.

Given that you're talking about Jon it had to be the NW. He loved/loves his family and probably the North but his position as a bastard would always make him an outsider. By joining the NW ironically he was actually more free to become a part of the family despite his vowing to forsake such ties. The only thing close would be KG but that was in KL which is remote, foreign, and from what we now know of the court would have been despised by Jon. All the other choices keeps him as a threat to the true born which would maintain the wedge and latent animosity between him and his half-siblings. Really there wasn't anywhere else for Jon to go but for the NW. Maybe if he had known Robb would be KitN he might have held on for his KG but that couldn't have been foreseeable.

Archived