The Dragon Knows the Sphinx?

How did Aemon Targaryen know about Alleras at The Citadel, as well as "his" actual identity as Sarella Sand? As far as I can tell, Marwyn might be the only one at the Citadel to know Alleras' true identity. Does this mean that Aemon and Marwyn were in close contact? Is this something worth reading into?

Interesting...I never gave that any thought prior to this.

Someone would have had to read the messages from Marwyn to Aemon since his vision is gone...and as of late it was Sam.

So maybe he dreamed it? :dunno:

Lucky Guess?

I'm due for a re-read...it's been too long now.

"He spoke of dreams and never named the dreamer, of a glass candle that could not be lit and eggs that would not hatch. He said the sphinx was the riddle, not the riddler, whatever that meant." - AFfC p. 522

Just because Aemon was talking about sphinxes does not mean he knows anything about Alleras.

That being said, Alleras might have dabbled in using the glass candles and somehow got into Aemon's dreams.

Why would this be something that he is dreaming about, though?

He may have dreamed it but not known what it meant.

If he dreamed of a Sphinx...he probably was thinking along the lines of of JCRB said. But the message was intended to be pointed towards Alleras.

It just seems odd that these two would be connected in some way, no? Why do you think GRRM put this in at all?

Technically, they both have Valyrian/Targaryen blood. Aemon likely has more, but Alleras/Sarella has some through her father.

But to reiterate, just because Aemon was talking about sphinxes does not mean he knows anything about The Sphinx, Alleras.

Marwyn tells Sam that he already knows most things, but that some small things might have escaped him so he tells Sam to tell him everything. It seems possible that Marwyn/Alleras were using the glass candles on Aemon, as the only use we have been told they have is to enter someone's dreams.

Technically, they both have Valyrian/Targaryen blood. Aemon likely has more, but Alleras/Sarella has some through her father.

But to reiterate, just because Aemon was talking about sphinxes does not mean he knows anything about The Sphinx, Alleras.

It seems like much too large of a coincidence to me, though. Plus Alleras is a riddle with the name reversal, right?

It seems like much too large of a coincidence to me, though. Plus Alleras is a riddle with the name reversal, right?

Again to reiterate, that being said, Alleras might have dabbled in using the glass candles and somehow got into Aemon's dreams.

Aemon is fevered, he might be getting magical feedback from Alleras using the glass candle, but Aemon might not completely understand the fever/glass candle dreams.

Marwyn tells Sam that he already knows most things, but that some small things might have escaped him so he tells Sam to tell him everything. It seems possible that Marwyn/Alleras were using the glass candles on Aemon, as the only use we have been told they have is to enter someone's dreams.

Not really, we know they can be used to talk across great distances because that's almost certainly what Quaithe did to Dany, who was never dreaming when it happened. In fact I don't recall them ever saying you can enter dreams with them outside of the tone of what is basically a rumor

^ Not trying to be a dick but I think you got that wrong, Dany was always asleep when Quaithe came to her in Mereen, she was awake when she met Quaithe in Vaes Tolorro and Qarth because Quaithe was actually there. I'm also pretty sure that when we were told the Valyrians used the glass candles to communicate over great distances that were told it was done in dreams.

^ Not trying to be a dick but I think you got that wrong, Dany was always asleep when Quaithe came to her in Mereen, she was awake when she met Quaithe in Vaes Tolorro and Qarth because Quaithe was actually there. I'm also pretty sure that when we were told the Valyrians used the glass candles to communicate over great distances that were told it was done in dreams.

No, Dany is always awake in Meereen because Missandei hears her talking. Quaithe says no one else would see her if Dany told them to look

Quaithe never comes to Dany in dreams aside from possibly near the end of ADWD, and we never see anyone using glass candles to communicate in dreams nor are we given textual evidence of it happening with Aemon

Archived