The best names.

Planetos is awash with dozens of names stretching from very simple 'real life' names with a twist to some completely made up ones. Focussing solely on names and not the characters themselves what do you think are the best ones?

My persona favourite is the name Tywin. An incredible choice from GRRM, it's such a commanding name and you can instantly feel that the person behind the name is of importance.

Victarion is another in the same vein as Tywin, a badass name that sounds like it'll be given to complete hard asses and leaders.

Honorable mentions;

Sandor Clegane

Lady Stoneheart

Daario Naharis

“Nymeros Martell” is the most badass fucking surname ever. Not that I’m biased or anything... :blushing:

I always thought “Rhaegar” sounded cool.

And “Ashara Dayne” has that Tolkienesque “cellar door” like quality to it.

Stannis Baratheon

It's really the perfect martial name. Do a fill-in-the-blanks with the first name of any other character in the series with this phrase and tell me which one inspires the most dread:

"_________ is coming to kill us all."

HINT: the answer is Stannis.

Stannis Baratheon

It's really the perfect martial name. Do a fill-in-the-blanks with the first name of any other character in the series with this phrase and tell me which one inspires the most dread:

The Greatjon sounds pretty good too ;)

Stannis Baratheon

Tywin Lannister is coming to kill us all.

Vermithor. To me it sounds like the perfect name for a dragon... more like something Maegor would call it than Jaehaerys I though. Heh, if the Wiki is correct in its calculation, Vermithor would have been born during the reign of Aegon I and likely could have been named by Maegor or even Aegon himself.

Archived