ASOIAF Phrase Guessing Game VOL.9 Bran/ASOS

Aderyn

:bowdown:*

Sorry, I totally forgot to check this game last night.

e?

And may I just add a geeky aside? I love the way Martin constructs his sentences. I lack the knowledge of grammar to break down exactly what he does that is different, but take that first sentence. A more usual way to say the same thing would be, "He also had a pack, once." The way Martin says it gives you a little punch in the gut. His first six words give and the last one takes it all away. I know I'm not explaining it well, but that's how it strikes me.

It's what Martin tries to do and succeeds at so well. He sets the reader up with certain expectations then takes them away. He must have gotten a huge rush out of seeing the online reactions to the RW. It doesn't get better than that for a writer I would think.

3. E

4. E

5. E, E
7. E

9. E

12. E

14. E

Yeah I know what you mean, he definitely knows what he's doing with the language. I don't always notice it when I'm reading since more often than not I focus my attention on the thematic content, but the language totally deserves to be noted as well. I study English but I feel like I still lack the technical knowledge for that lol. Still, there are times when it strikes you as a reader just like you described, when you read a sentence that just works so well and you're left thinking there really isn't a better way to say this.

Btw, one thing that "frustrates" me with this game over and over again is the fact that GRRM's sentences are longer than a gorilla's arm so I'm often forced to cut them short. :P

:bowdown:*

Sorry, I totally forgot to check this game last night.

e?

And may I just add a geeky aside? I love the way Martin constructs his sentences. I lack the knowledge of grammar to break down exactly what he does that is different, but take that first sentence. A more usual way to say the same thing would be, "He also had a pack, once." The way Martin says it gives you a little punch in the gut. His first six words give and the last one takes it all away. I know I'm not explaining it well, but that's how it strikes me.

It's what Martin tries to do and succeeds at so well. He sets the reader up with certain expectations then takes them away. He must have gotten a huge rush out of seeing the online reactions to the RW. It doesn't get better than that for a writer I would think.

So let me get this straight. You cut the sentence to reach 17? :)

As I was saying S

1. S
2. S
3. E

4. E, S

5. E, E
7. E, S

9. E

11. S

12. E, S

14. E

15. S

Were you trying to quote me TOaFK? :) IIRC this sentence was originally between 20-30 words so yes I shortened it a bit...

Yeah I know what you mean, he definitely knows what he's doing with the language. I don't always notice it when I'm reading since more often than not I focus my attention on the thematic content, but the language totally deserves to be noted as well. I study English but I feel like I still lack the technical knowledge for that lol. Still, there are times when it strikes you as a reader just like you described, when you read a sentence that just works so well and you're left thinking there really isn't a better way to say this.

Btw, one thing that "frustrates" me with this game over and over again is the fact that GRRM's sentences are longer than a gorilla's arm so I'm often forced to cut them short. :P

So let me get this straight. You cut the sentence to reach 17? :)

Were you trying to quote me TOaFK? :) IIRC this sentence was originally between 20-30 words so yes I shortened it a bit...

"Longer than a gorilla's arm" - love that expression. :)

Yes, exactly.

I "may" have chopped a sentence once or twice because I wanted to get the content in, but rarely. For example the Ned thought bubble where Rhaegar gives the QoLaB crown to Lyanna. I wanted to use that so badly, but it runs on for like 40 or 50 words! There was no way to get that content in without cutting it. I ended up using something far less memorable.

d?

1. S
2. S, A
3. E

4. E, S, A, L

5. E, E
7. E, S

8. A, D

9. E, A, L, L, D

10. D

11. S

12. E, S