Daenarys controversial but Stannis isn't?

Why so many people had problem with Danny is that GGRM gives her too much favor, her victories were so easily won regardless how ridiculous of her act

P.S that "A princess who is younger and prettier" BS is so junior high

One was burned on orders of Selyse, while Stannis was away, the other is alive and well.

Edric might not have been burnt, but that was only because Davos was the only person on Dragonstone which wasn't a religous zealot willing to sacrifice a child.

Stannis is much more problematic than Dany. He is a good ruler, b ut if he takes the Iron Throne a great turmoil will happens. He is too inflexible and don;t know how to play the political game and probably he will seek revenge against the Tyrells and other houses and can make more enemies.

But, the main problem is Mellisandre and her Red God. The faith will never accept him and now with the Faith Militant he will suffer a lot. When he propose to Jon Snow to legitimize him he order to Jon take down the weirwood as part of the agreement and I no doubt he will force other noble houses to do the same, burn weirwoods, destroy septs and persecute the infidels. It is by far much worse than Dany could do. And no, she have no sign of the Targaryen madness.

Stannis is much more problematic than Dany. He is a good ruler, b ut if he takes the Iron Throne a great turmoil will happens. He is too inflexible and don;t know how to play the political game and probably he will seek revenge against the Tyrells and other houses and can make more enemies.

But, the main problem is Mellisandre and her Red God. The faith will never accept him and now with the Faith Militant he will suffer a lot. When he propose to Jon Snow to legitimize him he order to Jon take down the weirwood as part of the agreement and I no doubt he will force other noble houses to do the same, burn weirwoods, destroy septs and persecute the infidels. It is by far much worse than Dany could do. And no, she have no sign of the Targaryen madness.

Dear Gods! Are you suggesting Danny is somehow more flexible than Stannis?

No, Stannis KNEW nothing of the sort. He abandoned the capital to save his own life, because if he tried to save Robert's by telling him of his suspicions of the twincest either the Lannisters or Robert himself would've killed him. And the Lannisters weren't planning anything besides maintaining the power they already had. Which pretty much every person in a position of power does.

They can't maintain their power while Robert is alive as long as someone (read, Stannis) knows. They are not going to keep Robert around if news of the incest could erupt any day now, in fact, at the beginning of AGoT, Cersei is already looking for ways to kill Robert, the melee was one such plan if I recall correctly.

By fleeing to Dragonstone, where he was safe from any Lannister assassin, Stannis doomed Robert.

Stannis is significantly worse than Dany.

Stannis let his older brother die so he could claim the throne is his by rights.

Stannis burns people to death in order to fuel his blood magic.

Stannis feigns compassion for the NW and the North just to get them to support him in his further conquest of Westeros.

Seriously Stannis needs to die soon.

I made this thread to deal with this ridiculous assertion:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125830-on-stannis-fleeing-to-dragonstone-and-not-telling-robert/

As for your third point I will quote Jasta11

There's a difference between maintaining a healthy skepticism and blindly dismissing anything a player says. Is that Stannis's sole motivation, very probably not, but it doesn't mean it was a bald faced lie and/or that he's completely fooling himself. A core point of Stannis's character is that he's torn between his desires and (what he sees as) his duty, sometimes reconciling them in his head when it's convenient for him sure, but that doesn't mean it's not a driving point for his character nevertheless. Dismissing that as only self-serving BS does a disservice to his character, I think.

Similarily, why wouldn't Renly believe his rule would be better for the 7K? He sure as hell can't do worse than Joffrey. As above, it's almost certainly not his sole motivation, but it doesn't mean it's not some sort of motivation still. People can have several motivations for what they do, I understand this is what makes them complex characters even.

I loathe to bring Dany in this for obvious reasons, but she still provides a good example; her taking the Unsullied is self-serving, whatever she says. It allows her to obtain a very disciplined and loyal army at practically no cost to herself, a massive boon in her quest for the IT. But we are in her head, so we know a big reason she does it is to liberate the slaves an end a system she abhors. Both motivations can easily exist together even if they seem contradictory, because people are like that. Why should we assume otherwise for Stannis or Renly? Because we're not in their heads?

They can't maintain their power while Robert is alive as long as someone (read, Stannis) knows. They are not going to keep Robert around if news of the incest could erupt any day now, in fact, at the beginning of AGoT, Cersei is already looking for ways to kill Robert, the melee was one such plan if I recall correctly.

By fleeing to Dragonstone, where he was safe from any Lannister assassin, Stannis doomed Robert.

Read the thread I linked to below your post, I lay out why this claim is false.

It should be particularly obvious that this isn't true from our perspective as readers, because we know that there was not a Lannister assassin at all; the Lannisters didn't poison Jon Arryn.

Excuse me, Your Grace. You've been here for half a year, have about two hundred posts under your belt, and are under the impression that Stannis isn't controversial?

Now I've seen everything.

Frankly, old timer, number of posts means nada.

Edric might not have been burnt, but that was only because Davos was the only person on Dragonstone which wasn't a religous zealot willing to sacrifice a child.

Don't discredit Rolland Storm, Maester Pylos and those other top notch lads who's names I can't remember right now.

Oh and Stannis is incredibly controversial right now, if there is one reason he gets more credit than Dany (he doesn't) right now, its because comparatively he is on more of an upswing, while she is on a downswing.

What about Davos' co-conspirators?

And what if Stannis told Robert of the incest without proof, after Jon died? At best Robert gets angry at him and dismisses him from the council, and everything end with that, at worst he is killed by the Lannisters. There's no way Robert would believe him.

They are both very controversial, but I think that Dany's is more often commented on because whilst we had the whole of AGOT spent with characters building up Stannis to be a cold, brutal, ruthhless battle commander, she began as an innocent young girl. Therefore, Stannis has not changed much from our opening perceptions of him (and has arguably gotten better), Dany has actually become more controversial. So in my opinion, Dany seems more controversial because both characters are compared to each other based on where they started, and then judged on their journeys throughout the books.

People hate Dany because she is a woman. People love Stannis because he is a man.

Now that that is said. We can all walk out of here alive.

Post #14 and we are there... You almost broke a record...

One has to love how everything boils down to this argument...

Archived