Daenarys controversial but Stannis isn't?

Im not sure if this entire debate is a troll but I will give my two sense

Dany Pros- Blood, cares for the little people, caring, kind,

Dany Cons- shortsighted, vengeful, unforgiving, intentionally ignorant,

Stannis Pros- Blood, Just, strong, experienced.

Stannis Cons, Unforgiving, cold, Red God, unbending.

Stannis is a proven leader with serious baggage

Dany is an inexperienced child with great ideas but no follow through.

Neither are perfect rulers and both have many supporters and detractors among the fandom.

As a side note

For many the most beloved character in the series is The Ned.

Stannis- Praises him, helps his "son", trys to rebuild the Dynasty, defends the north and fights the boltons, freys and lannisters.

Dany- hates him, desires his death, refuses to listen to those that come to his defence.

For many this is a deciding factor

Post #14 and we are there... You almost broke a record...

One has to love how everything boils down to this argument...

I think he's joking. But some people do dislike Dany for being a "emotional" girl (while give other male characters excuses when they act the same way) and other praise Stannis for being The Mannis.

Edric might not have been burnt, but that was only because Davos was the only person on Dragonstone which wasn't a religous zealot willing to sacrifice a child.

Actually there are quite a few. They're called Kingsmen. A few of them helped Davos get Edric off Dragon Stone. I think you're getting the tv series mixed up with the show.

Im not sure if this entire debate is a troll but I will give my two sense

Dany Pros- Blood, cares for the little people, caring, kind,

Dany Cons- shortsighted, vengeful, unforgiving, intentionally ignorant,

Stannis Pros- Blood, Just, strong, experienced.

Stannis Cons, Unforgiving, cold, Red God, unbending.

Stannis is a proven leader with serious baggage

Dany is an inexperienced child with great ideas but no follow through.

Neither are perfect rulers and both have many supporters and detractors among the fandom.

As a side note

For many the most beloved character in the series is The Ned.

Stannis- Praises him, helps his "son", trys to rebuild the Dynasty, defends the north and fights the boltons, freys and lannisters.

Dany- hates him, desires his death, refuses to listen to those that come to his defence.

For many this is a deciding factor

Stannis absolutely does not praise Ned. More like backhanded compliments.

Stannis and Selyse must be the most loving couple in Westeros....

I doubt he despised her when they married. Certainly not like Dany's feelings about marrying a slaver. I couldn't see him be willing to marry Cersei to end the war for example.

I doubt he despised her when they married. Certainly not like Dany's feelings about marrying a slaver.

Hizdahr at least doesn't make you puke just by looking at him and it's not Hizdahrs fault that he was born into the shitty Ghiscari culture. We know Dany had the option to choose whether or not to marry Hizdahr, we don't really know about Stannis and whether it was some sick joke that Bob was trying to play that Stannis was forced to go along with or not. Also Hizdahr is less prone to giving people migraines and brain aneurysm when he speaks.

And seriously House Florent? Besides the fact that he has several of his own vassal houses to choose from (one of them renown for producing some of the most beautiful consorts for the Targaryens), if there was nobody eligible they could have had him marry into a powerful family in Essos which from a strategic standpoint could benefit the Baratheon regime in case Viserys had any funny ideas.

The Florent marriage is in my opinion one of the stupidest things the Baratheons agreed to.

They are both controversial!

What I think is funny is that most Stannis' fans hate Dany and most Dany's fans hate Stannis when I actually think they are pretty similar: they are both really stubborn, they both see ruling as a duty and as a right, they do care about the well being of their people, they both committed atrocities in the name of justice but are not bad people, they both think that they are better than they actually are etc!

Sometimes I think about them as the severe father and the rebel daughter haha! :ph34r:

"Only a fool would doubt his honor or his honesty"

How is that backhanded

Well you left out the "he was no friend of mine" part of that quote. Which even if true, wasn't really necessary to say. He was obviously jealous of Robert's relationship with Ned.

Hizdahr at least doesn't make you puke just by looking at him and it's not Hizdahrs fault that he was born into the shitty Ghiscari culture.

It is his fault he is amused by things like throwing dwarves to lions though. It's pretty ridiculous to suggest Selyse being unattractive is on the same level of disgusting as someone like Hizdahr.

They are both controversial!

What I think is funny is that most Stannis' fans hate Dany and most Dany's fans hate Stannis when I actually think they are pretty similar: they are both really stubborn, they both see ruling as a duty and as a right, they do care about the well being of their people, they both committed atrocities in the name of justice but are not bad people, they both think that they are better than they actually are etc!

Sometimes I think about them as the severe father and the rebel daughter haha! :ph34r:

Whenever I see Show Dany I feel like pinching or poking her cheeks. Especially when it's one of those silly photos of her giving those speeches.

Does that count as love or hate?

They are both very controversial, but I think that Dany's is more often commented on because whilst we had the whole of AGOT spent with characters building up Stannis to be a cold, brutal, ruthhless battle commander, she began as an innocent young girl. Therefore, Stannis has not changed much from our opening perceptions of him (and has arguably gotten better), Dany has actually become more controversial. So in my opinion, Dany seems more controversial because both characters are compared to each other based on where they started, and then judged on their journeys throughout the books.

Now that is a bullseye. Straight up perfect.

They're both controversial. I don't know how one could argue that a character such as Stannis doesn't divide opinion. Some of the most intense debates ever waged on this forum were in Stannis-centered threads.

To name a few controversial aspects of Stannis

-His relationship with Renly

-His flight to Dragonstone

-His relationship with Mel

-His burning of prisoners

-His military record

-His aptitude as King

-His general personality (ie his one liners, which some consider funny, others offensive)

There's many more, I'd say. All of the above listed are sources of great contention when it comes to discussing Stannis. I wouldn't say Stannis gets as much blind hate as Dany, though.

It is his fault he is amused by things like throwing dwarves to lions though. It's pretty ridiculous to suggest Selyse being unattractive is on the same level of disgusting as someone like Hizdahr.

Her personality is definitely more repulsive than her looks, imo.

Archived