RIP Terry Pratchett

Werthead

Enough said.

:(

It is with immeasurable sadness that we announce that author Sir Terry Pratchett has died at the age of 66.

Larry Finlay, MD at Transworld Publishers:

"I was deeply saddened to learn that Sir Terry Pratchett has died. The world has lost one of its brightest, sharpest minds.

In over 70 books, Terry enriched the planet like few before him. As all who read him know, Discworld was his vehicle to satirize this world: he did so brilliantly, with great skill, enormous humour and constant invention.

Terry faced his Alzheimer's disease (an 'embuggerance', as he called it) publicly and bravely. Over the last few years, it was his writing that sustained him. His legacy will endure for decades to come.

My sympathies go out to Terry's wife Lyn, their daughter Rhianna, to his close friend Rob Wilkins, and to all closest to him."

Terry passed away in his home, with his cat sleeping on his bed surrounded by his family on 12th March 2015. Diagnosed with PCA1 in 2007, he battled the progressive disease with his trademark determination and creativity, and continued to write. He completed his last book, a new Discworld novel, in the summer of 2014, before succumbing to the final stages of the disease.

We ask that the family are left undisturbed at this distressing time.

All enquiries: Lynsey Dalladay, Publicist [email protected] T: 0208 2316793 M: 07920 712543

A Just Giving page donating to the Research Institute to the Care of Older People (RICE) has been set up in his memory: https://www.justgiving.com/Terry-Pratchett

Unfortunately the forums are playing up, so I can't see whether my post in the Pratchett thread went through (didn't know whether it was more appropriate for Gen Chat or Literature).

But RIP to one of my favourite authors of all time. Very sad.

I just saw this and I'm gutted. :( I can't even begin to describe how much I've enjoyed his work over the years. I knew this was coming eventually, but I'm incredibly sad anyway.

Rest In Peace, Mr Pratchett. And thank you.

I just saw the news. I never shed tears for celebrities, but he wasn't just a celebrity. He was an amazing writer- one of the best satirists of our time. My husband and I twice traveled to see him speak on his book tours- once at Yale, and again at Harrisburg, PA. He has and will always be one of my favorite writers of all time.

Seems only appropriate:

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”

Close to tears now in a way I have never been at the death of someone I have never met. He died far too early. Rest in peace!

This is how I feel too, though I did meet him once, at a book signing.

*sad*

On twitter @Pete Etchells found another apt quotation:

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away - Reaper Man."

Archived