"HBO Wants 'Game Of Thrones' To Have More Than 7 Seasons"

Led

This to me is a strong indication that HBO would put money into a Roberts Rebellion miniseries after GoT ends

They don't have the rights to it and George has said he doesn't want them to do it. They might change his mind through the medium of money, but I think GRRM's preference would be for Dunk and Egg (which they don't have the rights to either, but it sounds like GRRM would be happier to discuss it with them).

It is rare rare rare for any television series to maintain quality past 5 seasons, at least if they are long-form, scripted arc series.. 7 seasons are really pushing it.

This show is a little different since the writers are also the producers. Usually it's difficult to hold on to your writing talent, and ideas start running out, but this show has plot for at least two more seasons already mapped out.

I would say it's too late for season 6...they are already starting work on it, and I don't see Martin finishing the book before they start writing the scripts (which will probably be any day now, if they haven't already begun).

Not from what I heard.

I heard that

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is spreading rumors that GRRM is putting finishing touches on TWOW and its going to be released this fall, and I didn't really give it any credence, till GRRM said on his blog that he will not be attending San Diego comicon 2015 (July) and World Sci Fi convention in Saratoga (early November) UNLESS he finishes and delivers TWOW before these cons. Which means its REALLY close to completion, otherwise he wouldn't be saying that - its the final stretch for Son of Kong!

AND he had another meeting with D&D recently. Want to bet they have whatever he finished for the TWOW?

I think it will be 7 season but have a season 7A and 7B with 5 or 6 extra episodes similar to what the Sopranos did at the end.

I suspect this as well. The publishing and republishing of all these interviews confused the issue. D&D interview with comment "We don’t want to add 10 hours to that." that everyone keeps quoting as their final decision, came way before March 11th revelation that HBO REALLY wants 10 seasons, if D&D are interested. After that D&D didn't give any new comments,

They don't have the rights to it and George has said he doesn't want them to do it. They might change his mind through the medium of money, but I think GRRM's preference would be for Dunk and Egg (which they don't have the rights to either, but it sounds like GRRM would be happier to discuss it with them).

Oh please. They have the rights to ASOIAF, and once all the books are published the books will have all the information about Robert's Rebellion. So, through the rights to ASOIAF they could produce it. It's not like RR is a separate entity or book such as Dunk & Egg.

Dunk & Egg would be exceedingly boring on screen.

Of course HBO want more seasons, they're no different from any other greedy TV company who have ruined countless shows by dragging them on too long.

On the other hand, seven seasons is potentially restrictive, particularly given that we have two very large (admittedly unwritten) books worth of content to fit into remaining seasons. Personally, I'm very partial to season 7 part 1 and 2 idea (eg about 16 episodes instead of 10, but split over two years). Gives them a little more to work with, without having to fill up extra episodes with unnecessary content.

Vaguely related, I'm also partial to a 2 hour series finale, so that we don't have the final episode entirely filled with wrap-up and tying up loose ends, which could happen otherwise.

Of course HBO want more seasons, they're no different from any other greedy TV company who have ruined countless shows by dragging them on too long.

On the other hand, seven seasons is potentially restrictive, particularly given that we have two very large (admittedly unwritten) books worth of content to fit into remaining seasons. Personally, I'm very partial to season 7 part 1 and 2 idea (eg about 16 episodes instead of 10, but split over two years). Gives them a little more to work with, without having to fill up extra episodes with unnecessary content.

Vaguely related, I'm also partial to a 2 hour series finale, so that we don't have the final episode entirely filled with wrap-up and tying up loose ends, which could happen otherwise.

Two 8 hour Seasons? No.

I don't recall anyone at HBO pushing for more than seven seasons until recently. Last year HBO programming president Michael Lombardo said, "I think they do feel bullish enough that there’s enough story to deliver through season 7. I hate to sound greedy, but our longest shows have gone 7 or 8 seasons, so seven is a nice long run for us.” But since then GoT has only increased in popularity, and HBO's other programming prospects have dimmed. They only have one other hit show, True Detective, and its showrunner said it will probably only last for three seasons. The upcoming Westworld seems promising, but it's an unknown.

To be fair GoT would benefit from longer run. It's not HBO ruining it by making it go on too long, there is material that's getting cut because of 'no time' argument. It's the writers who are ruining the show by oversimplifying anything and blaming it on time constraints

I don't recall anyone at HBO pushing for more than seven seasons until recently. Last year HBO programming president Michael Lombardo said, "I think they do feel bullish enough that there’s enough story to deliver through season 7. I hate to sound greedy, but our longest shows have gone 7 or 8 seasons, so seven is a nice long run for us.” But since then GoT has only increased in popularity, and HBO's other programming prospects have dimmed. They only have one other hit show, True Detective, and its showrunner said it will probably only last for three seasons. The upcoming Westworld seems promising, but it's an unknown.

According to George he says it was as early as season 1. I think he got mixed up on that and meant season 2 , still I think it may have been early on. Lombardo may not have said anything about that if GOT had not of broken HBO records.

I don't know what happens now if season 5 breaks records again.

Seems to me True Detective , which I like, really has only three seasons, actually season 1 left a lot hanging in the air and they are not revisiting it, I guess.

I didn't like Westerworld the first time around , pedestrian science fiction, I don't know can it be fixed up HBO style?

The problem with keeping this show going past 7 seasons = Daenerys storyline

Im sorry but the moment they introduced that character they Painted themselves into a corner

people are not going to wait around 10 years just to see Dany finally get to Westors and D&D are smart enough to know that.

I find it surprising that HBO would announce wanting (or being open to) more seasons. This is a story with a clear end in sight, and adding in another 10 hours would likely distort some of the timelines.

I mean, clearly I have no idea what will happen, but adding/stretching out some timelines might adfect others, as they're all tied in together now. Davos goes MIA for a year? No Rickon for 3 years? No Bran? Dany in the Dothraki Sea for who knows how long? I just don't see it.

I'd love to see many more years of this show, but not at the expense of quality story.

I'm not pretending I know anything about making a Television Show, but I do think they should go past seven seasons if they can. I love the show, I'm not like a lot of people here regarding that. It's not the best television show ever, but it is definitely the most captivating for me.

I'll be happy with whatever they do.

I think it's too late to go for 10 seasons now. They are already working towards the end. Danny 4-5 years longer in Mereen and the others still being a threat without actually going south for another 4-5 years would be too long.

I'm not pretending I know anything about making a Television Show, but I do think they should go past seven seasons if they can. I love the show, I'm not like a lot of people here regarding that. It's not the best television show ever, but it is definitely the most captivating for me.

I'll be happy with whatever they do.

I love the show, too...but it's clear that there's a 'stopping point' around seven seasons. They've been working for that since the beginning, and I think it's too late to change that now. And really, I think they've found the sweet spot where it's not too much and not too little, which is probably a good point to stop.

Archived