What If Aegon the Conqueror was born female

Doubt it.

I'm not sure that we know enough about circumstances at the time to know how this would change the Conquest, assuming that it still happens. However, one of the Targaryens would probably end up as Queen Regnant or something similar because they're the ones riding the dragons.

At most, Orys would be a Prince Consort or whatever is closest to the title of the Targaryen that he marries, assuming that he marries one.

Visenya probably would've inherited Dragonstone, since she would've been the eldest of the Targaryen daughters. Though it likely wouldn't result in the end of the Targaryen line, since the children of the Targaryen daughters would probably take the Targaryen name. Especially if the Conquest still happened.

Visenya probably would've inherited Dragonstone, since she would've been the eldest of the Targaryen daughters. Though it likely wouldn't result in the end of the Targaryen line, since the children of the Targaryen daughters would probably take the Targaryen name. Especially if the Conquest still happened.

Pretty much agree. Or regarding the name issue, the Targaryens chicks could always marry some bastard to ensure there's no question regarding the name, I think at least it would work so.

Perhaps the Targaryen dynasty becomes matriarchal. OTL Aegon continued the practice of incest as a proof of monarchy's superiority to the Faith and traditions, so the Targaryen sisters could do the same By dictating that only women can sit on the Iron Throne.

I mean, they have Orys, yes, but why should the three most powerful women in Westeros give their rulership over to a mere bastard?

For one thing, a lot of potential for dynastic marriages open up with the Seven Kingdoms. Not sure how involved Orys would be considering that he seems to have mainly been (male) Aegon's friend.

Interesting thought - and game! What 3 Houses would you marry into to complete the conquering of Westeros? I guess you'd have to eliminate the Vale unless you have lotsa patience, but let's say the other six (Stark, Lannister, Durrandon, Gardener, Hoare, and...Nymor Martell) were willing to wed no matter what?

Tough call..I'd go Gardener, Stark, and Martell and kill the rest.

Marrying into the Starks, the Durrandons, and the Gardeners might be the best combination; the Targaryens are able to check most regional rivals while marrying across enough geographically-disparate places to lull the rest of the kingdoms into a false sense of security. In this I'm assuming that dragons are still part of the equation.

Orys, if he indeed was their paternal bastard half-brother, could probably be used in a multitude of ways. If Visenya legitimized him he could marry all three female Targaryen siblings. Or he could try to marry Argella Durrandon or Sharra Arryn outright.

Regardless, I still think the War of Conquest happens, but the Targaryens by necessity become more invested in the politics of dynastic intermarriage from the beginning.

Archived