TTTNE 452: The Spam Ball.

N/A

greetings spamlanders

more

party

food

just in time for st. paddy's day...corned beef meat pie...mmm...mmm...good

i made a salmon quiche last night for the girls...canned salmon, broccoli, swiss and sauteed onion...excellent finger food, i agree

and my mother used to make "fried pies" - which were rounds of pie crust (about 5 inches in diameter) with a spoon of her homemade fruit preserves or pie filling (sweet potato is the best), then folded crimped and baked or fried...easy to hold, easy to east and oh so good!

hey hair looks great, Lany ;)

I have made similar little pies before. I made these little mini pies too---called them "Bubbly Pies from Pern" :lol: I even entered then in a cooking contest once and won the grand prize :D

Congrats Taters :cheers:

Went to get my hair done...totally NOT happy with it. While I generally don't like to say bad things about people, the girl who did it was rather dumb. She seemed upset that I only gave a $5 tip...well I was upset that she ignored just about everything I said. I am trying to style it now, maybe that will help.

Meanwhile, back at the homestead, I left Alex with a list of things to do while I was gone, including "empty the recyclables" (we have a small bin in the house, when it gets full, he empties it into the large bin outside) He locked himself out of the house :lol: I was gone over 2 hours. (no worries, he went to the neighbors' house until I came home)

:lol: at Alex locking himself out. Least he used his common sense and went to the neighbours.

Don't blame you for not tipping much. I wouldn't tip at all :p but I'm mean like that, I never tip anyone since they are just doing their job. I wouldn't tip a doctor, or a cashier, or a bin collector, so I'm not tipping a waiter, hairdresser or whatever either.

Love me some quiche!

But we are having a pizza pie for dinner tonight :P

ok, here is the attempt to make my hair acceptable. I guess it will be better after it is washed a few times *sigh* I do like the length though (looking for the possitive)

Your hair looks lovely!

What is pizza pie btw?

Nice ball!

What film is it from?

Thank you! It's the Masquerade Ball from Phantom of the Opera, linked in my first post this thread

:lol: at Alex locking himself out. Least he used his common sense and went to the neighbours.

Don't blame you for not tipping much. I wouldn't tip at all :P but I'm mean like that, I never tip anyone since they are just doing their job. I wouldn't tip a doctor, or a cashier, or a bin collector, so I'm not tipping a waiter, hairdresser or whatever either.

Your hair looks lovely!

What is pizza pie btw?

Thank you! It's the Masquerade Ball from Phantom of the Opera, linked in my first post this thread

Thanks!

Tipping rules are very different here. Problem is so many people in the service industry here are way underpaid. I actually feel a little guilty since I apparently have a lot of hair, even if it seems thin (thinner than it used to be anyway) to me.

Some areas of the US simply refer to pizza as pizza pie...or even just "pie" it is very much a colloquial thing.

Love me some quiche!

But we are having a pizza pie for dinner tonight :P

ok, here is the attempt to make my hair acceptable. I guess it will be better after it is washed a few times *sigh* I do like the length though (looking for the possitive)

Whatever you did the result is great and you look cute.

But I'm confused. It looks longer here than when you were getting your brown belt a couple days ago. Must be the angle?

eta

whups. Got distracted as usual.

What I came over here to say is that I think Google is a quicker path into the ASOIAF wiki than the wiki's own search bar which doesn't tolerate my typos as well as google does. Has anybody else found that?

Whatever you did the result is great and you look cute.

But I'm confused. It looks longer here than when you were getting your brown belt a couple days ago. Must be the angle?

Thanks. My hair was rather sweaty the other day, and I was pushing it back behind my ears, but you can see the length in the back. The sides were just barely trimmed, but she cut about 2 inches off the back. Seems the back was growing faster than the sides, and I was working on a mullet :lol:

I have made similar little pies before. I made these little mini pies too---called them "Bubbly Pies from Pern" :lol: I even entered then in a cooking contest once and won the grand prize :D

when it comes to bubbly pies i am Piemur...best eaten so hot they burn your lips...number one niece is big pern fan and even has recipes from one of the companion books that was published... :D

when it comes to bubbly pies i am Piemur...best eaten so hot they burn your lips...number one niece is big pern fan and even has recipes from one of the companion books that was published... :D

So do I! Did you see they are making a movie? I think I would rather a tv series, but I am looking forward to this.

I actually got a book signed by Ann at the LA Con. (The Girl Who Heard Dragons----as a present for my daughter, who had a (invisible) pet dragon from the ages of 3-6---the book might be here somewhere)

Well I've just been to visit my uncle in the hospital, and I think it's the last time I'll ever see him; he's been deteriorating for a long time and had an episode two years ago where he attempted suicide and the doctors told us he wouldn't survive, and if he did he would be braindead. He turned out to still retain most of his mental functions with bouts here and again and the doctors were thankfully proven wrong. He really helped spark my creative bug by telling me about my great great grandfather, Jesse E. Grinstead, after my mother told him I wanted to be a writer. He wrote western novels, some even being made into movies. I take my pseudonym after him even though I write little these days. He gave me some of his handwritten manuscripts and stories he typed himself as well as a copy of a magazine he was published in in 1934. They're pretty good too, one is about a man who takes a steamboat and has to pilot it after a conman convinced the boat owner he could do so and failed; another is about a guy that travels the country breaking horses and falls in love with the daughter of the ranch owner.

It was one of the things to give me the confidence to begin trying to make things of my own and that being a writer or artist was a real possibility. He had great stories like when he and his friends toured an abandoned mineshaft; he was kicking around a box for a few minutes when suddenly the man who owned the property grabbed his arm and told him he was kicking dynamite. It was the first time I ever really considered what a story could be and gave me pride in the legacy that had been passed down. A story didn't have to be about heroes and villians or in a far place, it could just be about people. Him and my mom got the ball rolling for me, and now both are gone with so many questions unanswered and things untold; I share my middle name, Brooks, with him, who was my great uncle, a man who loved to fish but hated the taste of fishes so he gave them all away. He signed the envelope with the stories:

"For Nick Long's eyes only - You must return these or lose your 1st Born Son -

Signed

Keeper of the Name"

He was a badass who lived hard and stood up for his family; taught me a lot about my roots, hopefully I can collect some of his anecdotes and get them written down. I never returned the stories so I guess I owe him my firstborn son. He was in ICU on life support so we didn't get to converse, but I said some things I thought he'd like and didn't dwell on the now. I told him I remember and that I wouldn't forget, and promised I'd collect all the stories and record them.

Sorry if I'm babbling but if I didn't get this off my chest somehow I don't know how I'd sleep tonight.

:grouphug: I'm really sorry about your uncle.....he seems like an adventurous and cool guy.

I hope you start writing, I mean...maybe you could keep your uncles stories going on.....(but I hope he gets out of there, and recovers!)

Its crazy how we were just talking about this stuff earlier today!

ETA

Morning Rhae :D

Thanks guys, I feel a lot better just being able to vent a bit. I know I'm not quite a regular here but you've made me feel very welcome. I leave you with a traditional staple of TTTNE

:grouphug:

As is tradition, as is tradition

Archived