Heresy 158

Black Crow

Just instinct. He's been kept out of the way, readers have almost forgotten him, it would fit GRRM's style to be saving him for something big, Davos is on his way to find him. Moreover, he will wind up the head of House Stark, if not King in the North. Robb is gone, Bran is sure to be gone one way or another, Jon even if legitimated by Robb is going to be gone one way or another. As for the women, they can't be head of house. I have no prediction for Arya's windup, but I think Sansa will wind up happily married to Tyrion as the lady of House Lannister, the lion and the wolf united.

Some thoughts and old quotes of mine about Bran, three-eyed crow/greenseeing and identity.

The three eyed crow business... I think it is more than a person, it is the harbinger of the third eye. It is a force of nature and creation, maybe even something from the o.g. old gods. It's a part of the greenseers, the greendreamers, the weirwoods and knowledge. Also death and second life(s). A guide for the visually inclined.

The weirwood calling to Bran would be like calling to like.

We know Bran has been around the Heart Tree his entire life. I believe the weirwood tree was calling Bran to become part of the ''weirnet' since he was born. Bran had a subconcious connection to the weirwood long before his fall. After the fall, he sees the three-eyed crow urging him to fly and later, the weirwood calling to him. Yet, while in his coma, he is able to realize he has a third eye to open.

(Note: 'the Crow' = the three-eyed crow)

I see the weirwood as a conduit. The green dreams and greenseeing power (gonna call these greenvision to make it easier) are connected to the trees.

The third eye is greenvision.

The greenvision manifests as the Crow.

The Crow is similar to a spirit guide, but this spirit guide is the same for everyone with greenvision.

All of this greenvision power, the Crow and third eye business is tied to the weirwood,

Therefore all the folks that use greenvision are tied together through the Crow to the weirwood, leading me to see it as - the Crow is the third eye.

See how the Crow put its beak in Bran's forehead. A part of the Crow became Bran.

This is similar to the warg bond. A part of you in the wolf and a part of the wolf in you. But the wolf is you.

Yes I can recall some pretty heavy discussion we had on this, at one time comparing the speech patterns of Bloodraven and the crow. There was a feeling that there is no such individual as the the crow, but that just as ravens are used to carry messages in the waking world so crows may do so in the dreaming world.

Just instinct. He's been kept out of the way, readers have almost forgotten him, it would fit GRRM's style to be saving him for something big

He is much like Howland Reed in that way

Some thoughts and old quotes of mine about Bran, three-eyed crow/greenseeing and identity.

There it is. Thanks for reposting this. I think this 3EC=3rd eye thing is a pretty cool idea

He is much like Howland Reed in that way

True, except that Rickon has already been shown as having hidden in the crypts.

Howland's residential status in Lyanna's crypt, lo these past seventeen years, remains as a wonderful revelation for WOW.

How he managed to cope with the Balrog, I have no idea. Maybe he tricked the Balrog into thinking he was a fellow supernatural entity? -- by covering himself with Lyanna's dragon-spangled wedding cloak from the Isle of Faces?

True, except that Rickon has already been shown as having hidden in the crypts.

Howland's residential status in Lyanna's crypt, lo these past seventeen years, remains as a wonderful revelation for WOW.

How he managed to cope with the Balrog, I have no idea. Maybe he tricked the Balrog into thinking he was a fellow supernatural entity? -- by covering himself with Lyanna's dragon-spangled wedding cloak from the Isle of Faces?

Lol I guess we haven't seen stalker-style creepiness in the series yet. Howland spending 17 years cuddling with Lyanna's corpse would be a great way to start. I think you've just spoiled the next prologue!

Just instinct. He's been kept out of the way, readers have almost forgotten him, it would fit GRRM's style to be saving him for something big, Davos is on his way to find him. Moreover, he will wind up the head of House Stark, if not King in the North. Robb is gone, Bran is sure to be gone one way or another, Jon even if legitimated by Robb is going to be gone one way or another. As for the women, they can't be head of house. I have no prediction for Arya's windup, but I think Sansa will wind up happily married to Tyrion as the lady of House Lannister, the lion and the wolf united.

I'm happy with a reconciliation between Tyrion and Sansa and agree that would fit with the synopsis, which also heavily implies that Jon and Arya will get it on. Likewise I agree that one way or another Bran aint coming home, but neither I think is Rickon. He wasn't part of the original synopsis so that whilst he undoubtedly exists I really don't see a major role. Rather I'd be more inclined to suspect him turning savage and having to be put down, which would also contribute to the advertised bittersweet ending.

I'm happy with a reconciliation between Tyrion and Sansa and agree that would fit with the synopsis, which also heavily implies that Jon and Arya will get it on. Likewise I agree that one way or another Bran aint coming home, but neither I think is Rickon. He wasn't part of the original synopsis so that whilst he undoubtedly exists I really don't see a major role. Rather I'd be more inclined to suspect him turning savage and having to be put down, which would also contribute to the advertised bittersweet ending.

Well, could be. In which case Sansa and Tyrion's son would be heir to both Casterly Rock and Winterfell. A big deal indeed. But I think Rickon has a major role now even if he didn't in 1993. Hey, he didn't even exist in 1993, did he? There must be a reason for inventing him later.

Jon and Arya may well get it on, I can't say that's been scrapped yet. They might well die together while winning the Last Battle - or would that be too corny?

Bitter: Jon & Arya die in victory. Sweet: Tyrion & Sansa make a new life together.

That sort of pairing for Jon and Arya I can see, but not a romantic one. I think BC thinks/wants it to happen, but I'm of the mind their physical relationship will never move beyond hair-mussing.

As for Tyrion and Sansa making a new life together... are we talking about the same books?

I'm getting an image of Atticus Finch with a deer rifle. Surely poor Rickon deserves better, even if he is drooling white foam.

It it wrong to like this for Rickon? It seems much more Martin's taste than having him emerge from Davos' boat wearing a crown. Osha, after all, is one of the only characters in the series to offer a true coup de grace.

That sort of pairing for Jon and Arya I can see, but not a romantic one. I think BC thinks/wants it to happen, but I'm of the mind their physical relationship will never move beyond hair-mussing.

Certainly not into pubic hair mussing.

Is it wrong to like this for Rickon? It seems much more Martin's taste than having him emerge from Davos' boat wearing a crown.

GRRM has any number of options. For instance, if the Popsicles are melted for good and all, and the Watch is no longer a formal body, Rickon could become a dominant lord of what had been a beyond-the-Wall territory (though needing a regent in the short run).

Or, if the Popsicles remain a potential threat and the Watch/Wall are preserved, Rickon could be tagged for a future role similar to Benjen's.

It's hard for me to imagine GRRM writing much about him, though, given the endless number of more major and more probable items on his To Do list. We're down to the last two books.

It's hard for me to imagine GRRM writing much about him, though, given the endless number of more major and more probable items on his To Do list. We're down to the last two books.

Exactly so. I think he was probably brought in to round off the family and hold up a mirror to the grief and tension in Winterfell and then ultimately will serve as an exemplar of the madness that results from letting the dragon, sorry wolf, take over.

Archived