Small Questions v. 10098

Rhaenys_Targaryen

A place for small questions that you feel don't need a thread of their own...

Trying to find a quote, but don't have ebooks? Try here.

A list of all Small Questions threads of the past:

A Thread for Small Questions 08-02-09 (ISO8601 thread start YY-MM-DD)

A Thread for Small Questions II 09-12-27

A Thread for Small Questions III 10-05-19

A Thread for Small Questions IV 10-09-01

A Thread for Small Questions V 10-11-22

A Thread for Small Questions VI 11-02-10

A Thread for Small Questions VII 11-04-11

A Thread for Small Questions VIII 11-05-19

A Thread for Small Questions IX 11-06-13

A Thread for Small Questions X 11-07-01

A Thread for Small Questions XI 11-07-28

[ADWD SPOILERS] Small Questions (ADwD I) 11-07-31

Small Questions on ADwD II (ADwD II) 11-08-24

Small Questions XII 11-10-10

A Thread for Small Questions XII 11-10-10

Small Questions for ADwD III (ADwD III) 11-11-11

A Thread for Small Questions XIII 11-12-13

A Thread for Small Questions XIV 12-02-04

Small Questions for ADwD IV (ADwD IV) 12-03-09

A Thread for Small Questions XV 12-03-11

A Thread for Small Questions XVI 12-04-09

A Thread for Small Questions XVII 12-05-01

A Thread for Small Questions XVIII 12-05-29

A Thread for Small Questions XIX 12-06-23

A Thread for Small Questions XX 12-07-15

A Thread for Small Questions XXI 12-08-01

The thread for small questions, version XXI 12-08-01

Thread for Small Questions v. xxii 12-08-14

Again With the Small Questions 12-09-04

More Small Questions, Really? 12-10-12

This Small Question Thing 12-11-06

Small Questions v.10000 (1000 zero) 13-01-01

Small Questions v.10001 (1000 one) 13-01-20

Small Questions v.10002 (1000 two) 13-02-01

Small Questions for ADwD, v.V. (ADwD V) 13-02-10 still running

Small Questions v.10003 (1000 three) 12-02-25

Small Questions v.10004 (1000 four)

Small Questions v.10005 (1000 five)

Small Questions v.10006 (1000 six)

Small Questions v.10007 (1000 seven)

Small Questions v.10008 (1000 eight)

Small Questions v.10009 (1000 nine)

Small Questions v.10010 (100 ten)

Small Questions v.10011 (100 eleven)

Small Questions v.10012 (100 twelve)

{version number jumps one for obscure reasons}

Small Questions v.10014 (100 fourteen)

Small Questions v.10015 (100 fifteen)

Small Questions v.10016 (100 sixteen)

Small Questions v.10017 (100 seventeen)

Small Questions v.10018 (100 eightteen)

Small Questions v.10019 (100 nineteen)

Small Questions v.10020 (100 twenty)

Small Questions v.10021 (100 twenty-One)

Small Questions v.10022 (100 twenty-two)

Small Questions v.10023 (100 twenty-three)

Small Questions v.10024 (100 twenty-four)

Small Questions v.10025 (100 twenty-five)

Small Questions v.10026 (100 twenty-six)

Small Questions v.10027 (100 twenty-seven)

{version number jumps 50 for obscure reasons}

Small Questions v.10078 (100 seventy-eight)

Small Questions v.10079 (100 seventy-Å„ine)

Small Questions v.10080 (100 eighty)

Small Questions v.10081 (100 eighty-one)

Small Questions v.10082 (100 eighty-two)

Small Questions v.10083 (100 eighty-three)

Small Questions v.10084 (100 eighty-four)

Small Questions v.10085 (100 eighty-five)

Small Questions v.10086 (100 eighty-six)

Small Questions v.10087 (100 eighty-seven)

Small Questions v.10088 (100 eighty-eight)

Small Questions v.10089 (100 eighty-nine)

Small Questions v.10090 (100 ninety)

Small Questions v.10091 (100 ninety-one)

Small Questions v.10092 (100 ninety-two)

Small Questions v.10093 (100 ninety-three)

Small Questions v.10094 (100 ninety-four)

Small Questions v. 10095 (100 ninety-five)

Small Questions v. 10096 (100 ninety-six)

Small Questions v. 10097 (100 ninety-seven)

Don't feel like reading through all those previous threads to find the answer to your question? Try this new feature:

Most Frequently asked Small Questions

On The Winds of Winter:

When will "The Winds of Winter" be published? What's the latest news?

Nobody knows. Current rumours say October 2015, but so far every rumor has been wrong.

The best bet is to follow GRRM's blog.

GRRM himself has expressed in December, 2014:

Look, I've said before, and I will say again, I don't play games with news about the books. I know how many people are waiting, how long they have been waiting, how anxious they are. I am still working on WINDS. When it's done, I will announce it here [on GRRM's site]. There won't be any clues to decipher, any codes or hidden meanings, the announcement will be straightforward and to the point. I won't time it to coincide with Xmas or Valentine's Day or Lincoln's Birthday, the book will not rise from the dead with Jesus on Easter Sunday. When it is done, I will say that's it is done, on whatever day I happen to finish.

I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

What's the material that has already been published from The Winds of Winter?

Spoiler tagged for obvious reasons

• Barristan I, published in 2013 paperback edition of A Dance with Dragons
  • Tyrion I, read at Miscon 2012
  • Victarion I, read at Miscon 2012
  • Barristan II, read at Boscone 50 in 2012
  • Tyrion II, released in the 2014 update of A World of Ice and Fire, the official app
  • Theon I, released on GRRM's website in 2011, also released in the back of several A Dance with Dragons paperback editions
  • Arianne I, released on GRRM's website in 2013
  • Arianne II, read at Worldcon 2011
  • Mercy, removed from A Dance with Dragons, placed in The Winds of Winter, released on GRRM's website.
  • Aeron I, mentioned by GRRM on his blog to have been removed from A Dance with Dragons in 2010, reserved for The Winds of Winter
  • Alayne I, removed from A Dance with Dragons, placed in The Winds of Winter. Recently posted on GRRMs website, currently available for reading.
  • Prologue, featuring an appearance by Jeyne Westerling. It is currently unknown who the POV will be for this prologue.
In total, we know about 11 chapters

On the tales of Dunk & Egg, and links to the main series:

How many Dunk & Egg stories have been published? Where are they published in?

Three Dunk and Egg stories are published at the moment. For now, they are

• The Hedge Knight

A short story to be found either in "Legends, edited by Robert Silverberg" or in "Dreamsongs II by George R.R. Martin"

There is also a rendition as a graphic novel by the same name: "The Hedge Knight".

• The Sworn Sword

A short story to be found either in "Legends II - Dragon, Sword and King, edited by Robert Silverberg" or in ...

There is also a rendition as a graphic novel by the same name: "The Sworn Sword".

• The Mystery Knight

A short story to be found either in "Warriors, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois" or in the paperback "Warriors 1, edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois"

No graphic novel... yet.

Two more Dunk & Egg stories yet to be written have already been described. They are known as "The She-wolves of Winterfell" and "The Village Hero". Both of these are working titles, though, not final titles.

Will the Dunk & Egg tales be published in one book?

The first three tales of Dunk and Egg will be published in one book, titled "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms", to be released in english on 6-10-2015. In some other languages, however, it has already been published. "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" will contain pages filled with artwork, which the other versions don't have.

Was Dunk ever knighted by Ser Arlan?

In spoiler tags:

No. Whether he was knighted later in life, is unknown, but likely, given his status as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

Are any descendants of Dunk still alive in the main series today?

Yes. GRRM has expressed that we'd meet one of Dunk's descendants. Brienne of Tarth finds the shield Dunk owns in The Hedge Knight. Hodor is often heavily suspected to be a descendant of Dunk's due to his enormous size, and the fact that people believe the young girl and the "knight as tall as Hodor" in the vision Bran sees in A Dance with Dragons are Old Nan (in her youth) and Dunk, and that the event is to take place during The She-Wolves of Winterfell.

Small Paul (from the Night's Watch) has also been suggested to be a descendant of Dunks, due to his size and the mention of "thick as a castle wall", which is also used to describe Dunk.

On the main series:

When was Robert Baratheon declared King?

Around the time of the Battle of the Trident.

What is the right of the first night?

The right of the first night, better known as droit du seigneur (which only looks French, although it is English usage, the French use different terminology) or jus primae noctis is a medieval custom that has been abolished in Westeros (by Jaeherys I & Septon Barth) as in the real world (apart from a few small islands in the English channel).

It allows the lord to be the first to consummate any marriage before the husband, thus potentially to sire numerous bastard children. In the real world, husbands would pay a fee to their lord for not making use of this right.

What is "guest right" and why is it so important?

The guest right is a sacred law of hospitality. When a guest, no matter the station of birth, eats the food and drinks the drink beneath the host's roof, the guest right is invoked. Bread and salt are the traditional provisions.

When invoked, neither the guest is allowed to do harm to his host, nor is the host allowed to do harm to his guest for the length of the guest's stay. For either to do so would be to break a sacred covenant that is believed to invoke the wrath of the Gods both old and new. Both the teachings of the old gods and the Faith of the Seven hold to this. Even robber lords and wreckers are bound by the ancient laws of hospitality.

Guest gifts can be given when the guests depart, ending the guest right. House Manderly practises this tradition in A Dance with Dragons.

Breaking the guest right is seen as a terrible thing. The example stated in the books concern the Rat Cook. A cook in the Night's Watch who killed the kings son, and cooked the son in a pie he served to the king, leading to the unknowingly eating his own son. The gods punished the Rat Cook, by turning him into a giant rat who could only feed by eating its own young. The gods did not punish the cook for feeding the king his own son, but for killing a man beneath his own roof.

Does the Wall block warging?

It appears so. Jon Snow isn't capable of connecting with Ghost anymore, when they have the Wall in between them, nor can Jon, warged in Ghost, feel Summer when Summer is north of the Wall, and Jon and Ghost south.

Whether this is the same for each warg/skinchanger, or depends on the strength of the individual, is a matter of discussion. It does appear that Bran, warged into the weirwood net, can see south of the Wall, whilst being north of it.

What's the kindness Jaime never did?

Jaime is referring to Tysha, and how Tyrion believed that Jaime bought Tysha's services to make Tyrion into a man (making him lose his virginity). Jaime never paid Tysha, however, as Tysha wasn't a whore. In other words, a kindness that Jaime never did.

In A Dance with Dragons, Septon Chayle is at the Wall. Wasn't he the septon at Winterfell? Didn't he die in A Clash of Kings?

Indeed. This is an error., Septon Cellador is the Septon at Castle Black. Septon Chayle, as far as is known, is dead.

If the gates in King's Landing were closed, how did Arya get to the harbor? You need to cross a gate...

A well known issue. People have tried to find explanations for it, but most have not yet been satisfied. Here's the most recent given explanation.

How come Cersei and Margaery need a Kingsguard Knight to defend them in their trials in A Dance with Dragons, while Gregor Clegane, not a Kingsguard Knight, was allowed to defend Cersei in Tyrion's trial in A Storm of Swords?

Because in Tyrion's trial, it wasn't Cersei who stood accused.. Tyrion was accused, Cersei the accuser. Tyrion didn't necessarily need to use a Kingsguard knight in that trial because he isn't royalty.

In Cersei's case in Dance (and in Margaery's case, should she opt for a trial by combat, should her first trial fail), Cersei is the Queen Regent, Margaery the Queen. They are royalty, and it is them who stand accued. They are not the accusers. Thus, they need a Kingsguard to defend them.

If knights are custom of the followers of the Seven, why there are knights in the North (Old Gods) and in the Iron Islands (Drowned God)?

There aren't many. So far we know of a single Ironborn knight. Knights from the North spring forth from a few sources:

• White Harbor and the Manderlys

The Manderys in White harbor brought the new gods and Southern customs along, so knighthood is more common there.

• Houses near the Neck

Houses who have business with the South may have a few knights, as customs mingle.

• War returnees

Some Northerners simply get knighted by Southern nobility during war time, it cannot be helped. Ser Jorah Mormont is an example.

• Hedge Knights and Freeriders

People living the life of a hedge knight or freeriders in service in the South might face the same treatment, when the do too many chivalrous deeds, although an example is missing here.

Who can make a knight?

Any knight can make a knight. As knighthood is a form of distinction, the higher in renown or social status the maker, the better for the image of the knight made. Kings can also knight people, but lords cannot (unless they have once been knighted themselves).

So for example, King Robert Baratheon, knighted in his youth, can knight people (and has) because he is a knight himself, and because he is a king. King Baelor I, a king, but not a knight, could have knighted anyone he wanted to. Lord Eddard Stark, never knighted himself, can't knight anyone.

Which Targaryens had deformed children?

• King Maegor I Targaryen (multiple malformed children by multiple wives)
  • Daemon Targaryen (a malformed son by Lady Laena Velaryon)
  • Rhaenyra Targaryen (a malformed stillborn daughter, Visenya, by Prince Daemon, according to Mushroom)
  • Daenerys Targaryen (a malformed stillborn son, Rhaego, by Khal Drogo)

How big do dragons grow?

Dragons seem just to grow if they get enough food and space.

How old are Dany's dragons as of the end of Dance?

Born in early 299 AC, the dragons are currently around 1,5 years old.

Who is Jon Snow's mother?

Have a look into the first post of the current (fixed) R+L=J thread in the General ASoIaF forum. It links to collections of theories on Jon Snow's parentage.

What is a masterly house?

Masterly houses are beneath lordly houses. They cannot dispense justice, and they technically do not own the land, they administer it. Deepwood Mott is a masterly house I believe, they administer the Wolfswood but cannot dispense justice.

Who are the marcher lords?

Marcher lords are powerful lords who guard region near border with Dorne, known as the Dornish Marches. They have large keeps and maintain large forces, to defend lands of the Reach and Stormlands in case of Dornish attack.

Marcher lords:

- in the Stormlands:

House Selmy, House Dondarrion, House Swann, possibly House Caron

- in the Reach:

House Tarly, possibly House Peake

Any other questions:

Is The Ice Dragon part of the asoiaf universe?

No, it is not.

Continue

I've made a half-page long post about Yandel's historical accuracy, and when I tried to post it I got 'You can't reply to locked threads". I'm nearly as unlucky as Edd Tollet.

So, to sum up my lost post ( from this day I'll write longer posts in Google Docs ;) )

Yandel's testimony about sack of King's Landing is messy and generaly weird IMO ( "It's not known who killed Rhaegar's children. It's sad that innocents die during wars. Maybe Aerys ordered his grandchildren killed, maybe it was princess Elia who smashed Aegon's head, to avoid him being captured by her dead husband's enemies"

By @TheCreepingKnight

What is with all the godamn smarky winking in this thread

In my case it's a remnant of forum game on one board ( if I remember correctly in this game you had to make stories using emoticons). From this time I use a way too many of them....

Would there be a reason for the lack of husbands and wives that exists in ASOIAF. Is no one married? You think it'd at least be mentioned in appendices or something. I mean if the author can make up 30 odd of the Slavers Bay names (which doesn't require much imagination), surely wives could make it in.

Besides Forley Prester and Alysanne Lefford, and of course the major families, any spousal info? Thanks in advance.

Just a note: The right of the first night/droit du seigneur/primae noctis actually has no evidence of ever having existed in medieval Europe, though it may have existed in a few communities elsewhere in the world. The fee that was paid to a lord along with his permission is theorized to have been a way to prevent serfs from marrying and entering the service of another lord. It's a legend used to villainize countries, kings, cultures, etc. but it never existed in medieval Europe, so you may want to change that answer.

Just a note: The right of the first night/droit du seigneur/primae noctis actually has no evidence of ever having existed in medieval Europe, though it may have existed in a few communities elsewhere in the world. The fee that was paid to a lord along with his permission is theorized to have been a way to prevent serfs from marrying and entering the service of another lord. It's a legend used to villainize countries, kings, cultures, etc. but it never existed in medieval Europe, so you may want to change that answer.

It did exist in Europe: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho_de_pernada

Just a note: The right of the first night/droit du seigneur/primae noctis actually has no evidence of ever having existed in medieval Europe, though it may have existed in a few communities elsewhere in the world.

It still exists in Europe in the Duchy of Normandy on Alderney and other dependent Islands, the travel guides, tell. Still, the wikipedia article linked to tells about missing evidence.

The fee that was paid to a lord along with his permission is theorized to have been a way to prevent serfs from marrying and entering the service of another lord. It's a legend used to villainize countries, kings, cultures, etc. but it never existed in medieval Europe, so you may want to change that answer.

It lives on elsewhere in the teethes you have to pay your lord when you register your marriage.

Best to add: there is no proof that it ever was in use in Medieval Europe, other than as a means of derogatory propaganda.

It still exists in Europe in the Duchy of Normandy on Alderney and other dependent Islands, the travel guides, tell. Still, the wikipedia article linked to tells about missing evidence.

It lives on elsewhere in the teethes you have to pay your lord when you register your marriage.

Best to add: there is no proof that it ever was in use in Medieval Europe, other than as a means of derogatory propaganda.

Can you link me something about that? I can't seem to find anything about it :S

How long doesn it take for an egg to petrify into stone? (I trust that isn't a FAQ.)

I know people have posted on here that it can occur surprisingly fast, under the right conditions. Here's something I found after googling:

How long it takes for petrification to occur depends on a lot of factors

like pH and temperature, but all things being equal, groundwater saturated

with calcium carbonate(calcite)acts the fastest because calcite is more

soluble than silica or other petrifying minerals. In the parking garage

where I work, which is only 3 years old, 4 inch stalactites have already

formed from rainwater leaching calcium carbonate out of the concrete

floors.

So if we accept the fact that petrification occurs as a continuum (in other

words, a gradual process from partial to complete

replacement/recrystallization/permineralization), and we assume the

replacement material is calcite under ideal chemical conditions,

petrification can certainly occur just a few hundred years or even less.

As to the size of the White knife as comparable to other rivers. When Tyrion is at part of the Rhoyne he is unimpressed and says that the Mander was wider, and that the Blackwater was deeper. He does not mention the White Knife, so I don't think we can make any actual comparison based on what's in the books. Since we have a pretty detailed account of Tyrions only trip to the north, we can be pretty sure he has never crossed the White Knife anywhere near its mouth, he would have crossed very close to its starting point near Winterfell.

Edit: Just to be clear later on Tyrion realizes he was wrong and that the Rhoyne dwarfs any river in Westeros.

As to the size of the White knife as comparable to other rivers. When Tyrion is at part of the Rhoyne he is unimpressed and says that the Mander was wider, and that the Blackwater was deeper. He does not mention the White Knife, so I don't think we can make any actual comparison based on what's in the books. Since we have a pretty detailed account of Tyrions only trip to the north, we can be pretty sure he has never crossed the White Knife anywhere near its mouth, he would have crossed very close to its starting point near Winterfell.

Edit: Just to be clear later on Tyrion realizes he was wrong and that the Rhoyne dwarfs any river in Westeros.

Didn't the Winterfell Septon say that he learned to swim in the White Knife?

Archived