Does Brynden Rivers counts as deserter?

Well dont you think BR was lured there by someone just as he is luring Bran? yes a replacement. .....Oh are you saying that he was taken to the cave against his will and is now trapped there forever until someone comes to take his place?

:) Sounds like LOST and pushing the button.

"What did one snowman say to the other snowman?"

I think of it more as in "Dune."

There is an order of holy women, called "Sayyadinas" and they have to undergo a life-threatening ritual to reach the status of "Reverned Mother," so when the old Reverned Mother dies, her powers and memories are passed on to the new one, but, she can't move on until the right person with strong enough power can take her place.

I kind of the think that is the situation for BR, but of course his replacement can't be just anyone, and it would make sense that he has been watching for Bran.

That is true, but I wonder whether he would have had to die.. No word of such has been spoken to Bran, for instance..

I tend to think that some sort of rebirth has to take place to become one with the weirwoods, which is why I think that does take Bran out of the running as any king or lord. He has a darker destiny.

Well dont you think BR was lured there by someone just as he is luring Bran? yes a replacement. .....Oh are you saying that he was taken to the cave against his will and is now trapped there forever until someone comes to take his place?

:) Sounds like LOST and pushing the button.

"What did one snowman say to the other snowman?"

"Smells like carrots."

To seriously answer the question, I think (as others) it depends on BR's aims as a cave tree, so the discussion is pretty much moot.

I am interested in the tangent on what's the punishment for desertion as a (sworn) maester? Pure speculation time - I don't think it would be nearly as harsh as the NW, and definitely not execution. This is why Aemon is sent to the Night's Watch upon Egg's coronation despite already being a maester. I would think it'd just be more of a scarlet letter type thing, and if you were high born perhaps you would not be welcome back home. As we can see with Maribald, there is kind of a loose definition of septons on the bottom rungs of the order, and my intuition is it'd be pretty similar at the citadel. Alternatively, perhaps maesters are only sworn when there's a specific job lined up - allowing Leo the Lazy, since he's a Tyrell, to continue to 'train' for as long as he wants. Comparatively, the KG would have much fewer instances of desertion just based on numbers, but at least it seems that those on the Quiet Isle aren't too concerned...

Until we get more explicit commentary from Bloodraven on the circumstances of how exactly he got to and remained in the cave, I wouldn't call it desertion. That said, given his power and knowledge I'm skeptical of the idea that he was or is being held against his will. More likely than not he discovered the singers, felt that enhancing his greensight was more important than remaining on the Wall, and simply vanished deliberately. Now since he is still technically serving the realms of men and (so far as we know) never deliberately foreswore his vows the situation is murkier. Of course, this raises the question of whether or not ever single Lord Commander elected since 252 AC is invalid given that Bloodraven is still technically alive.

It is extremely revelant to the arcs of both Bran and Jon; as Bran learns more about his mentor I suspect we'll get more information about why the singers/children were interested in Bloodraven and how that relates to his apparent 'desertion'. And given that Bloodraven almost certainly nudged things here and there to ensure Jon's election as Lord Commander, Jon and Bloodraven have an institutional (not to mention familial) connection that may very well become important.

And he's not a tree; he's quite possibly one of the most powerful beings on the planet, akin to a demigod. This is the guy who is the ultimate spymaster who has been pulling strings since AGOT. His affinity with the tree is textually explicit a way to sustain him "beyond his mortal span" in addition to enhancing his union with the old gods.

• 1 month later...

Technically he's the same as Mance. Mance is trying to save humanity as well, I don't think that's why he left, but in the end, he did try to save the North of the Wall humans, even if it did lead to a massive war with those South of the Wall.

And we frankly don't know what relationship the Singers have with the Others, a crap ton of Wights standing outside their cave is awfully convenient when they don't seem to mind a wolf or any other animal wandering around outside. I hesitate to say that the Singers created the Others, but I won't be surprised if they aren't exactly enemies. So, with that in mind, Brynden is a deserter, why he left probably doesn't matter to the King of Justice, Stannis.

Archived