Exercise and Fitness - Pursuit of Excellence (or improvement, for start)

baxus

Ep, we have a small foam thinging you can slip onto the bar which would cushion the bar against you spine. :)

It's like a small pool noodle.

Ya. You're going to lose some CrossFit street cred, but get a pad for that shit.

You want to avoid beating the shit out of your c-5 if you can help it.

After 2+ weeks of being sick (and only did my karate test during that time) I am back to the gym :commie: Been easing back into it this week and had a much lighter than usual work out today (and I will repeat it on Sunday)

Did full karate (2.5 hrs) on Tuesday, bootcamp class Wednesday, karate Thursday (1.5 hrs) and today I did 10 minutes on the treadmill, 5 minutes of nice slow rowing, and basically 5x5 bench press (45 lbs +5 each set), 5x5 squats (45 +10 each set), 20 walking lounges holding 25 lbs over head, 10 pushups and 10 assisted pullups.

I hate that I have had to start all over, but hopefully I will be back to where I was before I got sick pretty quickly

Stego and Balefont get access to some 20lb dumbbells.

Would really like to hear from you both about you doing 3 sets 100x20lbs, 3 minutes between sets.

Thanks for the laugh haha.

eta: that's 3 sets for each arm.

What the fuck is going on here?

When did this become a T-Nation board?

Listen TBW, we appreciate the input, we do, and we try to keep it positive in this thread… so I hate to say this.. but what the fuck are you on about? We've got some pretty knowledgeable people around here with regards to fitness (trainers, competitors, athletes, act) all wondering the same thing.

You're not really bring any thing to the conversation. What are we laughing about? Do people really still do GVT/Century sets? And to what end? Smells of bad programming to me.

Did a 13km run yesterday. First 5km were rather slow (5'50" per km) because I ran with a teammate who's been away from practice for a while but after that he decided to do a bit of walk/run so I picked up speed and did next 8km under 5' per km which is my desired pace for the half-marathon next month.

It went great and now I'm more confident of getting a PR in my hometown half-marathon (under 1:45:40 or so).

It's still a long way away but I'm on the right track.

After that, I played ball hockey for the first time in 5 years or so.

A group of friends I played ball hockey and floorball (unihockey, innebandy etc.) with and lost touch with, contacted me and we played ball hockey with some Canadians working in embassies in Belgrade and Zagreb.

A great group of guys, of various ages, skill and fitness levels.

Had great fun playing with them as well as sharing a post-game beer in an embassy bar.

The bad part is, I haven't done anything like ball hockey (short sprints, twists and turns, stick-handling etc.) for years and I'd get out of breath in a minute or so. Sure, I'd recover in time for my next line change but still I thought I wouldn't tire so easily even with doing a training beforehand and doing an as different a sport from what I'm used to as possible.

As a bonus, this morning I'm aching all over. :D

I thought my lower back and legs were quite strong and fit, but the moment I changed up my routine my muscles started complaining. :D

It does make a lot of sense and I expected it, but it does kind of ruin my confidence fitnesswise :D

This ball hockey thing was kind of a one off.

I don't think we could gather in significant numbers to play it without those Canadian guys.

Even if we did, I'm not sure I'd like to play with that crowd since they have a history of starting fights and doing other stupid stuff like that during the game.

As for variety, I'll probably go to a crossfit class with some friends of mine next week to try that out.

Even so, I don't see myself cutting back rowing and I just don't have time for additional workout.

I weighed myself for the first time in over 6 months and man oh man have things gotten out of control. Way back in late 2009, the body weight and fitness thing had gotten so bad that I was prompted to start Crossfit. Over the course of about 1 1/2 years of intermittent dieting and working out like 4-5 days a week, I dropped something like 45-50 lbs. Then something weird happened: for some reason I just lost my motivation. I guess I got tired of the constant struggle. I think part of it was that I started a new job, which I ended up hating, and now I'm in a new job that I also don't like a whole lot.

The situation I'm in now is that I've basically gained back all of the weight that I lost. Actually, it's worse than it was. When I first started Crossfit, I didn't track my weight that closely, so I don't know exactly what my starting point was. But, looking back at my journal entries, I can infer a reasonable guesstimate that when I first started Crossfit in December of 2009, that my body weight was right around 270 lbs. I get that number by looking at my first recorded weigh-in on March 7, 2010, which put me at 256.0 lbs, and remembering that it was right about that time that I had to buy new clothes because my old stuff had gotten too baggy.

I weighed myself this morning because this time around, I want to make sure that I record my starting baseline. I'm 5 years older now, so it will be harder. On the other hand, beneath the bulge there is a fairly strong human. Despite letting my workouts really slide for the last few years, I've retained most of my pure strength. For instance, in just the last few months, I've managed a back squat at #305, whereas my recorded max for that lift is #325 just a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure that this underlying strength is the only thing that keeps me going in my workouts today. My endurance is shit, because there's simply too much of me, but for a fellow in his mid-40's, carrying as much weight as I am, it's in some ways surprising how much I can still do in my workouts. I attribute that entirely to strength. I've never been especially athletic, but I am strong. I've at least got that going for me.

Tried doing hand stand pushups for the first time in more than 20 years. Was going to be happy if I got one in the 8 minute cap - ended up getting 13. First 5 were strict, then the rest kipped.

I have a strict press close to my bodyweight, but had no clue if I could translate that to the HSPU. And in between those the cleans I had to do were in a lot better form than I had been doing previously, so pretty happy with that as well.

^wut

Yeah, why? Whatever dude. Different goals and shit.

I believe in working muscle systems and not isolating for looks. YMMV

PS Hahaha, he has no idea how muscular Stegs is. lawl

Tried doing hand stand pushups for the first time in more than 20 years. Was going to be happy if I got one in the 8 minute cap - ended up getting 13. First 5 were strict, then the rest kipped. I have a strict press close to my bodyweight, but had no clue if I could translate that to the HSPU. And in between those the cleans I had to do were in a lot better form than I had been doing previously, so pretty happy with that as well.

That's awesome! 15.4 looked rough but then again, they all do. :P

Does anyone use some kind of padding for back squats and overhead squats? Apparently I have a funny place where my spine sticks out below my neck that keeps the bar from resting where it should.

I have similar problems with the bar causing pressure/pain on my spine. I've tried a towel and foam noodle, and both helped but not enough. I recently started using a squat collar made by Manta Ray. I found it to be much better. It distributes the weight across my traps instead of one point on the spine.

http://www.amazon.com/Advance-Fitness-Inc-4662-Manta/dp/B0017DGBY8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1427121839&sr=1-1&keywords=manta+ray

I agree with Balefont about diet being the main factor in body fat %. Workouts obviously are needed for muscle tone and burning calories but if you really want to cut body fat then check your diet. For the past two months I have finally been more consistently disciplined about avoiding dessert (I was eating a brownie or ice cream almost every night -- a carry-over from stress eating). I already don't drink alcohol or sugary beverages. And I'm eating less carbs in my evening meal. In that period I have seen my abs go from discernible to cut and detailed with obliques well defined too. Hopefully another couple of months will get me to Grand Canyon levels and I'll need a new crutch for self-esteem.

I'm getting good benefits with lots of rest days. I only actually hit the gym 2-3 times per week but the combination of cardio and weights followed by a day or two of rest is working quite well. And my schedule is unpredictable so I have to vary which days and what time I exercise.

Baxus - the last time I rowed, I did 3k straight (previously I was taking breaks after each kilometre) and maintained a steady 30spm throughout with good form. It felt good although my lower back was getting fatigued toward the end. I'll try to push that up to 5k next time. I usually only row when my legs are too heavy to run, e.g. a day or two after leg weights.

Last Thursday was a fast treadmill run then bench press, pull-ups, upright rows and cable rows. Saturday was another run (legs a bit heavy but still did 2 miles in 16 minutes) then shoulder press, wide lat pull down and shoulder flies. I always do a couple of sets of biceps and triceps to finish after all the heavier exercises. Hopefully I'll get back to the gym tonight for either a legs day or a bench press and rowing day, depending on how I'm feeling.

Baxus - the last time I rowed, I did 3k straight (previously I was taking breaks after each kilometre) and maintained a steady 30spm throughout with good form. It felt good although my lower back was getting fatigued toward the end. I'll try to push that up to 5k next time. I usually only row when my legs are too heavy to run, e.g. a day or two after leg weights.

I would never consider rowing as a leg rest workout, but to each their own. ;)

I'd suggest doing 2x2km a few times before going for 5km, but whatever fits your schedule, goals etc.

The weekend in Moab was a lot of fun, and so were the first 10 miles of the half marathon. I was with some friends, and we were talking about all running 10 min/mi, but one woman fell behind to a pace that was awkward for me - so for a while I was walking through the water stations and looking behind me to see if we'd regroup, but around mile 6, I just started running at my own pace. At mile 7, a different friend caught up and we ran most of the rest of the way together. Around mile 10, my non-sprained-ankle foot started to cramp up, possibly from over-compensating. I've been trying not to favor either foot - the sprain only bothers me now if I get too far on my inside arch, although I have to make sure not to start rolling to the outside. I told him to take off without me at mile 12 and he hauled through the last mile, I kept the same pace.

I finished at 2:02 (9:19 pace). The good thing is that after taking 3 weeks off all exercise and having a long run of 6 miles, it wasn't hard to run 10 miles, and it wouldn't have been hard to run 13 if my feet had held up. I was fairly surprised about that. Part of me wants to get into better running shape and part of me thinks I'm pretty much finished with running for a while. The friends I went with are doing the Bolder Boulder on Memorial Day, but I haven't committed yet.

The weekend in Moab was a lot of fun, and so were the first 10 miles of the half marathon. I was with some friends, and we were talking about all running 10 min/mi, but one woman fell behind to a pace that was awkward for me - so for a while I was walking through the water stations and looking behind me to see if we'd regroup, but around mile 6, I just started running at my own pace. At mile 7, a different friend caught up and we ran most of the rest of the way together. Around mile 10, my non-sprained-ankle foot started to cramp up, possibly from over-compensating. I've been trying not to favor either foot - the sprain only bothers me now if I get too far on my inside arch, although I have to make sure not to start rolling to the outside. I told him to take off without me at mile 12 and he hauled through the last mile, I kept the same pace.

I finished at 2:02 (9:19 pace). The good thing is that after taking 3 weeks off all exercise and having a long run of 6 miles, it wasn't hard to run 10 miles, and it wouldn't have been hard to run 13 if my feet had held up. I was fairly surprised about that. Part of me wants to get into better running shape and part of me thinks I'm pretty much finished with running for a while. The friends I went with are doing the Bolder Boulder on Memorial Day, but I haven't committed yet.

2:02 is a great time for someone with a recently sprained ankle running with a group of people who required an in-race change of plans, with foot starting to cramp up and all that.

Good job!

As for "I'm glad but I think I'm done for a while", it's a pretty normal reaction to puttin your body through a not-so-normal effort of running 21km. ;)

Archived