Wow, I never noticed that... v. 11

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Wyman may not know that it's Rickon who went to Skagos... he may think that he sent Davos for Bran... after all he says "bring me back my liege lord" when Bran is still alive Rickon can't be "his liege lord"

Good call! I never noticed. I reread to confirm, Wyman cannot know wether Bran or Rickon went to Skagos. Now believing both Stark boys live, he sends Davos to Skagos to bring back his liege lord: Bran.

eta: Oh yes, he does. I stand corrected by @Rhaenys_Targaryen who pointed out Wyman knows Bran is crippled and cannot just walk with Osha. Since apparently Bran's legs (Hodor) walked northwards, Wyman knows he is sending Davos to find Rickon

Davos understood. "You want the boy."

"Roose Bolton has Lord Eddard's daughter. To thwart him White Harbor must have Ned's son ... and the direwolf. The wolf will prove the boy is who we say he is, should the Dreadfort attempt to deny him. That is my price, Lord Davos. Smuggle me back my liege lord, and I will take Stannis Baratheon as my king."

ADwD 29 Davos IV (end of chapter)

Actually, thinking feudal customs, the last sentence is very tricky... should Bran or any other true liege lord to Wyman return, Wyman ows him fealty (and still does, when he does not return, but not overcomplicate things here). Next Wyman accepts king Stannis as king of the 7 kingdoms, but imagining Bran might swear fealty to some other king, maybe some king in the North, oh my...

Could he think both went?

No.

"He listened. The six did not linger long amongst the ruins of Winterfell. Four went one way, two another. Wex stole after the two, a woman and a boy. [...]

"He knows where they went," Lord Wyman said.

ADwD 29 Davos IV (end of chapter, just before the previous quote)

eta: minimised the last quote.

Varys stole a couple of pages out of Lann the Clever's book.

When the dragonlords foresaw that Lannister gold would destroy them, was that prophecy later filled by the Kingslayer? Or is a Lannister going to whack Daenerys and Jon?

Definitely the kingslayer.

The latter, who can tell? Maybe we know more after TWoW.

Well, as long as Wex wasn't closeby enough to hear Bran and co discuss that they were going north of the Wall (and he can't have been closeby enough to hear, as the wolves would have smelled him if he had), he can't have known about it, and thus Wyman can't...

For Wyman it is simple. There are two sons of Ned Stark still alive, and he knows the location of one of them. Naturally, you first search for the one you know the location of.

And in that case, it won't matter to Wyman which of the two boys he's about to get delivered. Either Bran is delivered to him, and Rickon will come once he learns that House Stark rules again, or Rickon is delivered, and Bran comes back once he learns that House Stark rules again (in Wyman's mind, because of course, Wyman can't know that Bran has gone beyond the Wall, nor that he has gone with a very specific mission and the idea to remain there).

All Wyman needs, is a male Stark to get ahead of the Boltons, who have "Arya". He won't care too much which Stark he gets then.

And Wyman knows that Bran was crippled. And that Hodor was Bran's legs, most likely. In the chapter, they say that Wex only knows "yes" and "no", and that asking the right questions can bring you a long way ahead. Asking Wex about Hodor, and which boy accopanied the big man, will help Wyman realise which boy he's about to send Davos after.

So I guess that Wyman is very much aware which boy he will get.. And in the end, it might be Wyman doesn't think it matters... Bran can't father children, so Rickon would inherit in the long run...

Asherah in Semic mitology is a mother godess. Her name means "she who walks in the sea".

Ashara Dayne is supposed to die by drowning in the sea...

I've noticed during my reasearch for House Dayne re-read project.

Talking about names, the meaning of your name in the modern German language:

• Blutiger = Bloody one (noun or name)

or

• blutiger = bloodier (adjective)

And to reverse it and translate it by meaning, not semantics, an English Blue tiger would make a German Blautiger forever that's worth. There are no blue tigers in Germany though.

I never noticed before that Gregor Clegane was married thrice. I wonder if he ever got a child on one of his wives.

Gregor has a one daughter which I think is the one who currently rules Fang Tower.

Gregor has a one daughter which I think is the one who currently rules Fang Tower.

That is not canon info. Maybe something from one of the video game mods? They have to fill in a lot of blanks with made up stuff.

Jon in his first conversation with Sam:

"Sometimes I dream about it," he said. "I'm walking down this long empty hall. My voice echoes all around, but no one answers, so I walk faster, opening doors, shouting names. I don't even know who I'm looking for. Most nights it's my father, but sometimes it's Robb instead, or my little sister Arya, or my uncle."

in AGoT 26 Jon IV (The chapter introducing Samwell Tarly and Jon as Sam's saviour)

As early as that, we learn that dreamwise Jon goes looking in the crypts of Winterfell times for

• his father,
  • Robb,
  • Arya,
  • Benjen

without luck. Combine that with the "I don't even know who I'm looking for." from the quote and the mnemonic
"You know nothing, Jon Snow".

We know he is aching to know who his mother is: He is looking in the right place.

The three eggs for Jeor's breakfast in Jon IX, Game 70 are symbolic of the three heads of Rhaegar's dragon, Jon being one of them. And notice they were served with wrinkled plums.

And if you believe that Jon is the prince that was promised you can see allusions to that too in the passage.

In aCoK the two Walders in Winterfell play the game Lord of the crossing where one has to ask for permission to cross the bridge by unnoticedly saying mayhaps. In the bread and salt scene before the red wedding Lord walder mentioned to Robb that he hadn't said mayhaps back in aGoT - foreshadowing the RW

Tyrion V, A Storm of Swords

Joffrey should have met the Dornishmen himself, he reflected as he sat waiting, but he would have mucked it up, no doubt. Of late the king had been repeating little jests about the Dornish that he’d picked up from Mace Tyrell’s men-at-arms. How many Dornishmen does it take to shoe a horse? Nine. One to do the shoeing, and eight to lift the horse up. Somehow Tyrion did not think Doran Martell would find that amusing.

Later in that same chapter

He could see their banners flying as the riders emerged from the green of the living wood in a long dusty column. From here to the river, only bare black trees remained, a legacy of his battle. Too many banners, he thought sourly, as he watched the ashes kick up under the hooves of the approaching horses, as they had beneath the hooves of the Tyrell van as it smashed Stannis in the flank. Martell’s brought half the lords of Dorne, by the look of it. He tried to think of some good that might come of that, and failed. “How many banners do you count?” he asked Bronn.

The sellsword knight shaded his eyes. “Eight... no, nine.”

Tyrion V, A Storm of Swords

Joffrey should have met the Dornishmen himself, he reflected as he sat waiting, but he would have mucked it up, no doubt. Of late the king had been repeating little jests about the Dornish that hed picked up from Mace Tyrells men-at-arms. How many Dornishmen does it take to shoe a horse? Nine. One to do the shoeing, and eight to lift the horse up. Somehow Tyrion did not think Doran Martell would find that amusing.

Later in that same chapter

He could see their banners flying as the riders emerged from the green of the living wood in a long dusty column. From here to the river, only bare black trees remained, a legacy of his battle. Too many banners, he thought sourly, as he watched the ashes kick up under the hooves of the approaching horses, as they had beneath the hooves of the Tyrell van as it smashed Stannis in the flank. Martells brought half the lords of Dorne, by the look of it. He tried to think of some good that might come of that, and failed. How many banners do you count? he asked Bronn.

The sellsword knight shaded his eyes. Eight... no, nine.

Impressive. Most impressive.

in A Feast for Crows - Samwell I

Sam: "Pyp says that Lady Melisandre means to give him to the flames, to work some sorcery."

Jon: "Pyp should learn to hold his tongue. I have heard the same from others. King's blood, to wake a dragon. Where Melisandre thinks to find a sleeping dragon, no one is quite sure. It's nonsense. Mance's blood is no more royal than mine own. He has never worn a crown nor sat a throne. He's a brigand, nothing more. There's no power in brigand's blood."

:cheers:

The preceding "King's blood, to wake a dragon. Where Melisandre thinks to find a sleeping dragon" is noteworthy, too. You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Or just for making fun of it: "Where Melisandre thinks to find a sleeping dragon, no one is quite sure."

What does Arya know of Melisandre's plan?

:cheers:

Compare...

...and in ancient days Joramun, who blew the Horn of Winter and woke giants from the earth.

Jon III, Clash 23

With...

And the old gods stirred, and giants awoke in the earth, and all of Westeros shook and trembled. Greatcracks appeared in the earth, and hills and mountains collapsed and were swallowed up. And the seas came rushing in, and the Arm of Dorne was broken...

The Breaking, TWOIAF

Archived