Possible release of cut content?

Lord Varys

Considering that TWoIaF is out for awhile now I'm wondering if it is possible that the authors/publishers can release the cut stuff on line in some sort of special feature.

I'm not (necessarily) talking about 'Fire and Blood' related things but stuff from the Ancient History, Seven Kingdoms and Beyond the Sunset Kingdoms sections. It seems to be very likely that the pieces that were cut from those are never going to see the light of day in any published form, so this might be a good fan service. That is, if there isn't an extended version of TWoIaF published someday. It makes little sense to assume that deleted or condensed paragraphs would be published in any other way, I think.

Stuff like that has been done before. For instance, with material that did not find its way into 'Star Wars - Essential Guide to Warfare'. This can be even turned into a working marketing campaign if it is properly sold as 'uncut secret information' or something like that.

I imagine that this could turn out to be tedious enterprise if done, as cutting, editing, comprising and rewriting tend to be blur together and stuff, but still there should be quite a few people interested in those little gemstones.

Aziz and Ashaya did a good a job on restoring the Westerland section to its 'full glory' working with the notes they had taken at the reading. And this gave us all a decent impression that some interesting tidbits may be missing elsewhere as well.

Any thoughts on that?

I would love to see that happen! And I agree, it seems unlikely to be worked into any other book, so it would seem like the publishers don't have much to lose by putting it out there. However, I think they will look at what they have to gain by doing so - maybe it could happen as part of a promotional tie-in (drum up interest by releasing it in drips in the lead up to a 'surprise' announcement about tWoW in a year's time maybe?).

Thank you. But Arantaniello, yolkboy, and my girlfriend greatly contributed to this thing as well. I was just the poor guy who typed up this stuff late at night ;-).

To my knowledge George read the Conquest at another convention - which we have fully in TWoIaF - as well as 'The Sons of the Dragon'. And the Westerland section where Aziz and Ashaya were. That's it.

The Sons of the Dragon write-up was much appreciated :)

I find this a good idea.. It might not be enough to fill a book (or perhaps it is, I don't know how much got cut). The Westerlands part that was written down from the reading but did not make the cut in the end, had so many interesting tidbits in it, and I can't help but wonder what was cut from the chapters on the other Kingdoms..

I guess that the stuff that is currently not mentioned in the chapters of the reigns of the kings, will be released in more detail in Fire and Blood, so patiently, I'll wait.. But, if my memory serves right, Fire and Blood, is supposed to be Gyldayns work, right? So then, stuff on the other Kingdoms, or Essos, Sothoryos etc., will not be in there..

If this is released in any form, though, I think it should be available to every reader.. not, for example, released on the app alone, as that is not available to quite a lot of people, due to release rights and such..

I'm definitely in favor of this.

The Sons of the Dragon write-up was much appreciated :)

I find this a good idea.. It might not be enough to fill a book (or perhaps it is, I don't know how much got cut). The Westerlands part that was written down from the reading but did not make the cut in the end, had so many interesting tidbits in it, and I can't help but wonder what was cut from the chapters on the other Kingdoms..

I guess that the stuff that is currently not mentioned in the chapters of the reigns of the kings, will be released in more detail in Fire and Blood, so patiently, I'll wait.. But, if my memory serves right, Fire and Blood, is supposed to be Gyldayns work, right? So then, stuff on the other Kingdoms, or Essos, Sothoryos etc., will not be in there..

If this is released in any form, though, I think it should be available to every reader.. not, for example, released on the app alone, as that is not available to quite a lot of people, due to release rights and such..

Do you have the links to the Sons of the Dragon and Westerlands write ups/discussions? I'm not sure if I saw them.

The guys making this Star Wars Guide I mentioned just seemed to have released deleted material on a web/blog page continuously for some time. Essentially they faced the some problems as in the world book. Too much written count for the word content, and the artwork makes the layout sort of fixed.

One could either think about releasing the full and unabridged text of George's accounts - if I remember then 'Ten Thousand Ships' and other stuff was merely somewhat condensed by Ran/Linda rather than rewritten in a condensed version (which seems to have been with the parts of the Targaryen history based on Gyldayn) or simply release cut paragraphs or sentences (this is why I such a project could be very tedious work ;-)). A middle ground could also work if stuff was changed while it was rewritten/condensed. Say, with the alternative version of Lady Ellyn's death in the reading and in the worldbook (which gives the canonical manner of the death we already knew from the books).

But I'm pretty sure everyone here would appreciate it.

KCenturion,

that would be most likely the best idea. One could make 1-2 years or so until the book has continued to sell decently, and then release this stuff.

While I find it unlikely, I think its a great idea! I think it's more likely to happen before Fire and Blood. The extended stuff from the Faith Militiant is terrific. A blog (in world? I'd hope not) would be ideal!

I mean if it didn't make it into World of Fire and Blood, will it ever be seen? I think it should be. Perhaps it will become publicised after the series or Fire and Blood's completeon.

A tumblr or livejournal would be the perfect platform for such a thing.

Whatever was cut from the various sections that do not concern the Targaryen reign all that much should not be published in any other form, I think. For that, George would have to make another more in-depth book about all the stuff TWoIaF covered that will not be featured in 'Fire and Blood'.

George has talked on his NAB about publishing unpublished material - i.e. cut/abandoned chapters from the main series - but that's another deal. Although if there was to be a sort of 'History of Westeros' series - like 'The History of Middle-earth' series edited by Christopher Tolkien - such tidbits could also be included in there.

Depending on what was cut from the Seven Kingdoms sections some light could also be shed on 'Fire and Blood' stuff as every section dealt with events during the Targaryen era, but that would only be bits and pieces, I imagine.

If this was done on the net, the fans who own the books could piece the things, restoring the full picture. But as I've said, this could be a very tedious work depending on the amount of editing/rewriting that was done.

E and L said in Reddit that they have cut some material from Dothraki and Yi Ti and Regent Wars.

Do you have a link? I'm just curious if they used the phrase "Regent Wars." I can't find a source for that term anywhere.

Oh yeah the Regent Wars! I was really excited about that but in the end we didn't get much. Regent Wars is used by the wiki. I'm pretty sure it's a thing.

And it's not being saved for Fire and Blood since they got the info so idk whats going on there.

Yeah it's on the wiki, but the name does not appear in any books or SSMs. I don't think it's on the app either. There clearly was an era when various regents vied for power, I just don't think The Regent Wars is a canon name for it. It's also sorta misleading, since as far as we know it never broke out into open warfare.

Do you have a link? I'm just curious if they used the phrase "Regent Wars." I can't find a source for that term anywhere.

No they don't use the "Regent Wars". Link

For some reason I feel like I have read something like the Regent Wars in the book. weird :stillsick:

Tbh they don't need an open warfare to call it the Regent Wars. :dunno:

Archived