What religion are you?

Bendubz

I believe in Science!, which is not a human construct, but rather something divine. Its only tenet is:

2Φ= 0

brought to us by the prophet Laplace.

Once I accepted its central dogma, Science! led me to many revelations such as the flow of water through pipes, propogation of light through media and why Al Gore is pondering a run for President (just kidding about the third one, thats still a mystery to me).

I am not a religion.

You never know. There might be a debate among the mitochondria in your cells about whether there is some grand unified entity that transcends their mundane daily tasks and gives their lives meaning. Maybe you only exist because they believe in you.

Eyron,

Good catch. :)

It was low hanging, but I'm not picky!

You never know. There might be a debate among the mitochondria in your cells about whether there is some grand unified entity that transcends their mundane daily tasks and gives their lives meaning. Maybe you only exist because they believe in you.

:o

I must be the crappiest deity ever in that case. My poor followers, I have failed you. I have poisoned you and made you work way too hard for survival. It's time I gave something back. Like... Good health? *turns inner ear to listen for hurrahs*

Leap, I captured your religion in a song.

I grew up with atheist parents, but I went to church on my own to get baptised and confirmed as a teen, to learn and give it a shot. I can't say I was bitten and I can't do organised religion. But I am still as I was as a kid, always wondering and feeling like their is something. I don't need a religion for it and I don't know if it's god I'm thinking of. The universe is amazing and mysterious enough for me.

It's enforcing one's belief on another person believing that theirs is superior that I don't agree with. It is one thing to inform people who are interested and another to force them. Although sometimes the line is hard to draw and the distinction between information and coercion can become blurred.

Very well said, this is indeed how I feel too. I'm personally agnostic I guess, but I respect that other people have certain beliefs. I don't appreciate when people try to force their beliefs on me though, and feel it would also be wrong if I was to force my indifference towards religion onto them, or if someone were to try and force their "there is no God only science" or whatever else onto them.

That said, there are times when I will actively seek out information/instruction in other people's faith. I think it is important to understand these things about the people you interact with.

ETA: Only one of my family members is really religious in any way, and that is my paternal grandmother. I know she prays for me, and when I was a little girl and she looked after me from time to time she would tuck me into bed and say a prayer over me. I would never dream, nor would my parents, of telling her she is wrong for doing so.

With regard to prayers, I take them by their intention, which is usually good. If someone wants to express their feelings for me through their religion, who am I to say it's wrong? It doesn't affect me in any way that I'm aware of, and if it did so happen to do some good, then that's great.

In the same breath, someone praying for my "salvation" is the same as them forcing their religion on me. I can't stop them from doing it, but you can bet I'll have something to say about it.

Atheist.

With a background of growing up in a Roman Catholic influenced environment, so one who happily will light a candle in remembrance when visiting a church.

I believe there might be a god/goddess/some force out there. Since moving to Colorado, I've really enjoyed spending time out in nature, especially out here. Its so beautiful, spiritual and peaceful. I guess I could equate every hike, walk or run I take to going to church.

With regard to prayers, I take them by their intention, which is usually good. If someone wants to express their feelings for me through their religion, who am I to say it's wrong? It doesn't affect me in any way that I'm aware of, and if it did so happen to do some good, then that's great.

In the same breath, someone praying for my "salvation" is the same as them forcing their religion on me. I can't stop them from doing it, but you can bet I'll have something to say about it.

Oh, of course, I see the difference there definitely. But my grandmother used to say the Lord's Prayer and then her own: "And look after Helena, and Paul, and Brian...etc. etc," but yeah, I can understand saying something if the prayer is a not-so-subtle dig at my lack of faith...

Actually, come to think of it we used to have to pray in Primary school, which I guess was kind of odd since it was not a Catholic school

They could even fight Holy Wars about which mitochondria have the correct interpretation of you. Of course, (probably have my biology wrong here) the wars are really about ATP transfer, but religion makes a nice cover.

Agnostic, tending towards weak deism, with a mild belief in reincarnation (evidence is not all that great for reincarnation, but is still stronger than for any other 'afterworld' system except maybe those that deny an afterworld, which puts them in the 'proving a negative' category). Anthromorphic principle is also a bit spooky, hence the 'weak deism.' But mostly far too many unknowns and uncertainties to be making absolutists judgments.

The 'belief-o-matic' usually tells me I'm a 'Theravada Buddhist,' what ever that is.

Okay, I'm sorry but why is Science seen as some sort of an antagonist to religion and faith and vice versa ? I mean I get it that back in the day the Church persecuted Coppernicus and Galelio for their findings but that was more because they challenged the Church authority and power right ? Not so much because religion is some sort of 'Anti-Science'.

Archived