Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets

JonCon's Red Beard

Things I would be very happy to never heard about again: Sansa's sexuality and Sansa's empowering. I wish those things have corporeal forms so I could punch them on the face.

I like the Wall as a solution. "Duuuude... we have people coming to our part of the world, what do we do?"."get a wall? :dunno: ". Simple and effective :lol:

They do have a form and you know what their names are.

They made it out of ice to trick the Others. "Oh shit that must be one of ours, we must have gone the wrong way again. I know but after 8000 years you would think we could find the south."

Doran's prowess at "playing the game" is vastly overrated.

I found the entire section of "The Targaryen Kings" in TWoIaF to be tedious as hell.

The potential king foreshadowing relating to Jon does not imply King on the IT, KiTN, or king beyond The Wall but rather King of Winter.

Dany, not Drogon, is TSWMTW

Varys poisoned Tywin for exactly the same reasons he killed Kevan

Three "heads" has the dragon refers to one person (TPtwP) and not three dragon riders.

The Hooded Man = Hallis Mollen.

Dragonlord blood is a minimum requirement for dragon bonding and A+J = T. Get used to it.

Martin should refrain from writing sex scenes or, at the very least, not attempt to go into too much detail. He isn't very good at it.

1. Doran is not playing the game, he is playing with himself.

2. King of Winter may have another title.

3. What is a TSWMTW? Or did you just hit random letters to confusse me? She is actually KAJFFAFEM, see I can do it to.

4. Probably

5. It actually as multiple meanings if you know what to look for, it's layered. It's about more than people too.

7. The best thing about Martin sex scenes is that people often think the characters having sex are bit off, that something is wrong with them. It's actually Martin and people need to except the fact that he is a bit of a creepy, freaky perv. Remember all that Bolton stuff comes from within him.

I'm angered by people who think it is for them to judge what counts as filler and what is good and bad characterisation.

Criticising the author's descriptions; fine.

Criticising the author's worldbuilding and realism of plots; sure, I certainly do it.

Criticising the author's pacing and how the chapters are split up; fine.

Criticising the author's characterisation and plot threads; is crossing a line, these criticisms are basically saying "I know the plot/characters better than GRRM does", which you don't because they're his characters and his plotlines.

And whilst I am ranting about the fandom, I might as well get this gripe that I have had for a while off my chest.

Why is it that some posters are totally incapable of appreciating multiple characters and factions? I like Stannis, but my liking of Stannis does not prevent me from enjoying and rooting for the Starks, and despite liking those two factions I still rank Theon, Jaime and Tyrion as amongst my favourite characters.

I find it very frustrating when I see Lannister fans explaining why every character who is not a Lannister or associated with them is dumb, a traitor, evil, worthless or poorly written, likewise it is incredibly frustrating to see Stannis fans saying how anyone who isn't Stannis or currently with Stannis is useless or a traitor, or a Stark fan saying how everyone but the Starks, northmen, and a few Riverlanders are evil oppressors of the north.

Bottom line is; judge characters based in their own actions, personalities and contributions to the story, and not based on their relations to another character who is already your favourite/least favourite.

Criticising the author's characterisation and plot threads; is crossing a line, these criticisms are basically saying "I know the plot/characters better than GRRM does", which you don't because they're his characters and his plotlines.

Yeah, you lost me at that. I get what you're saying about filler, namely that it's theoretically impossible to tell what's filler until the series is done (although, from the perspective of plot progression I'd argue that it's quite possible to tell which plot strands lead to plot movement. For example, im terms of plot we all know Sam's storyline was leading to Oldtown, not to the Cinnamon Wind), however criticizing =/= presuming to know more than the author

Like, I have no definite way of knowing where GRRM is taking Cersei's character, but I can still be critical of her characterization in aFfC, especially Maggy the Frog. I don't know where Tyrion's story is going, but I can still be critical of his Slaver's Bay plot.

Why? Because I live in the present, I form opinions about what's written right now, and my opinions don't have to be subject to potential future events. In other words, I can judge a book on its own merits rather than withholding my opinions until the sequel comes out. That's nuts. It's like Michael Bay saying, "Wait, wait, hold your reviews of Transformers 1 until you see Transformers 2".

Now, if it turns out that like Pretty Meris is Lyanna in disguise and that defines the rest of the series, then I'd obviously look at Quentyn's chapters differently (though it doesn't mean I couldn't criticize other things about them), but until then I'll work with what I have

My unpopular opinions are:

-This series will not have some BS story book ending, that people love to predict. Despite the probable threat of the Others, the kings, queens and lords of Westeros will not be uniting to fight them. These are people who have deep seeded hate and mistrust of each other and some would be more than happy to watch their rivals die at the hands of the Others.

-If the Starks regain power, they will be in open conflict with Dany.

-Tyrion is a total POS and deserves to die.

-I dont want Jon to ride a dragon, but kill them off.

-Arya will die.

-Jaime will live.

-Asha Greyjoy is amazing and the Iron Islands would be much better off with her ruling, instead of her useless Uncles.

-Cat is my heroine.

Crackpot:

-The first time we hear Ghost's howl, the Wall will fall. He is the real Horn of Winter.

3. What is a TSWMTW? Or did you just hit random letters to confusse me? She is actually KAJFFAFEM, see I can do it to.

Likely The Stallion Who Mounts the World.

-Asha Greyjoy is amazing and the Iron Islands would be much better off with her ruling, instead of her useless Uncles.

My unpopular opinion is that Asha is just as useless as all the male Greyjoys. Her KM Proposal is hardly unique with Theon and even Balon making similar proposals if only slightly more ambitious then hers. Additionally, in AFFC and ADWD she makes some similar mistakes that Theon did in ACOK.

Another opinion; I don't care what Robb's will says both Bran and Rickon are his legitimate heirs as the will was made under the false impression that they were dead.

Also, Daario > Val as at least he has a memorable personality.

Another opinion; I don't care what Robb's will says both Bran and Rickon are his legitimate heirs as the will was made under the false impression that they were dead.

I agree with this with limited knowledge of the specifics of inheritances in Westeros.

I'm angered by people who think it is for them to judge what counts as filler and what is good and bad characterisation.

I find 90% of Dany chapters to be filler. Also, I think her character is bad. On top of that Dany will die when she falls off Drogon over the Narrow Sea on her way to Westeros.

Have some random thoughts coming into your mind while reading?

Thought of a crazy theory but you can't prove it?

Some lines gave you a hunch that you're certain might happen but you have no evidence?

You think X is an idiot and need to tell the world?

Fear no more. We all been there. No discussions. No evidence. Just... random thoughts.

(not mix up with small questions or I never noticed that)

~~~~~~~

I'll start.

I have zero problems with Maegor's cruelty. Troubled times, hard solutions. I have more problems with his idiocy. Didn't he realise he was NEVER going to find anyone willing to build anything for him again after he killed all of the builders of the Red Keep?

I think Aegon is not a Blackfyre, but V and I are making the GC believe he is. Double Triple Quadruple gambit.

Guilty admittance. I think Ny Sar is a nod to Sansa and Arya. Try to "unjumble" their names in Ny Sar and you'll see the pattern. The river is only mentioned twice in ADwD, at least one time (or both?) referencing the Mother (i.e. Mother Rhoyne) uniting with her daughters. It might be foreshadowing Sansa and Arya reuniting with LS or reuniting at Winterfell.

Another "stretch" that I've made is that the names Lemore and Mordane are a portmanteau-reference to who Lemore really is, that being Lemore Dayne, per my theory. In my own defense though, I came up with Lemore Dayne as a possibility before noticing the similarities in the septas names.

And don't forget my newest guilty pleasure: R+L=A+J. (See signature.)

Daario is a Blackfyre. Come at me, bro.

I hate all the Greyjoys. Not a fan of the Martells either, really.

I am still absolutely convinced that Tyrion is just a poor, misunderstood little boy who wants to be loved and that finding Tysha will make him the greatest human to ever live in Westerosi history.

Jon Snow for King Beyond the Wall!

I've wondered this myself. I also wonder sometimes if he and/or Brown Ben Plumm might somehow be the "mummer's dragon."

This looks pretty similar to Confessions thread. Not that it's a bad thing, quite the opposite :)

I'll say that I loath Pycelle more and more every time he opens his mouth and find destroying Rhyonars one of the worst thing ever happening in Martinverse.

Likely The Stallion Who Mounts the World.

My unpopular opinion is that Asha is just as useless as all the male Greyjoys. Her KM Proposal is hardly unique with Theon and even Balon making similar proposals if only slightly more ambitious then hers. Additionally, in AFFC and ADWD she makes some similar mistakes that Theon did in ACOK.

Also, Daario > Val as at least he has a memorable personality.

Oh god totally brain farted on the stallion.

Oh the will I would not stress it that much, it would really come down to Jon casting down his family to take Winterfell, which would be heavily out of character. I mean you never know but it would seem unlikely if he knew they were alive that he would do that, he might make sure they have a regent for someone like Bran or Rickon but that is about it.

I find denial of Dany as the Stallion ridiculous because it requires one to believe that prophecy is very literal while also insisting it's vague (if Drogon or Rhaego are put forth as the real one.)

Me too. The Stallion that Mounts the World that "rest/grows inside her" is her own self.

This looks pretty similar to Confessions thread. Not that it's a bad thing, quite the opposite :)

I'll say that I loath Pycelle more and more every time he opens his mouth and find destroying Rhyonars one of the worst thing ever happening in Martinverse.

Looks? I thought that was what this was. :)

This is a long post where I add little to the conversation. Sorry

that Alyssa velaryon, manged to flee a fully guarded garrison {who know what maegor will do to them if they fail so epically} with dark sister

(wtf did she go to Visenya personal chambers and just take the thing?) in tow with two dragons, and mange to get a ship to take her to storms end.

i'm sorry GRRM but that's just absolute :bs:

I know, I tried to imagine that Visenya actually let her escape because she realised her imbecile/brain damaged son was going to die soon and him being king was a terrible idea.

This line still gives me nightmares. When I was reading it for the first time, I was like "he can't mean that, can he? It's not what I think, right? ... Sh..! it is."

LOL. It was so cringe. Ugh... I avoid that conversation whenever reading that part. That character just bugs me. Sansa slitting his throat would be the greatest Christmas present, regardless of the time of the year.

My unpopular opinion is that the story of ASOIAF has more to do with character development and showcasing the cruelty of human nature than about plot points like iron throne, this vs that, magic, real heritage etc.

:thumbsup:

I found funny the fact Griff wanted to gain Rhaegar's love, and, after all of those years, he kinda felt it didn't happen because he lost, not because Rhaegar was not probably into guys. Unless he knows something we don't know...

:lmao: I don't know what I want more as something real, JonCon's delusion or bisexual / in the closet Rhaegar.

1) Doran's prowess at "playing the game" is vastly overrated.

2) I found the entire section of "The Targaryen Kings" in TWoIaF to be tedious as hell.

3) Martin should refrain from writing sex scenes or, at the very least, not attempt to go into too much detail. He isn't very good at it.

1) I wasn't even aware he was "playing the game" I just thought he had an elaborate revenge scheme going to avenge his dead sister and her dead children but okay...Maybe I'm thick.

2) Oh my god... The Targ section was so tedious to me. I do not give a flying rat about the Targaryens!!!!! When I heard about Fire & Blood in the future, my reaction was "thanks but no thanks". Now an entire book about the Rhoynar and Dorne's melting pot of Rhoynar, Andals and First Men? I am in.

3) Emphatic Nod

Why is it that some posters are totally incapable of appreciating multiple characters and factions? I like Stannis, but my liking of Stannis does not prevent me from enjoying and rooting for the Starks, and despite liking those two factions I still rank Theon, Jaime and Tyrion as amongst my favourite characters.

Bottom line is; judge characters based in their own actions, personalities and contributions to the story, and not based on their relations to another character who is already your favourite/least favourite.

I'm in love with your bottom line. I am tired of trying to discuss the finer points of a person's morality/motivation and receiving a "well X,Y or Z is worse so..." response. Like two people both being insufferable gits is a statistical impossibility :rolleyes: .

My unpopular opinions are:
-This series will not have some BS story book ending, that people love to predict. Despite the probable threat of the Others, the kings, queens and lords of Westeros will not be uniting to fight them. These are people who have deep seeded hate and mistrust of each other and some would be more than happy to watch their rivals die at the hands of the Others. :agree:

-The first time we hear Ghost's howl, the Wall will fall. He is the real Horn of Winter.

I want your crackpot to be real because...reasons.

I don't really care about Essos worldbuilding, only what characters are doing and when the hell are they coming back to Westeros.

I had the same opinion at first. But I think there's something larger at hand that will bring purpose to this world-building, and it deals with more than just the "why" as to "why Dany stayed in Meereen."

(I'm of the opinion that Illyrio and Varys are repeating a Blackfyre Rebellion, but something more along the lines of the 5th Blackfyre Rebellion where wealthy merchants and pirates banded together to carve up kingdoms for themselves. (Search "War of Ninepenny Kings" for reference.) Aegon might be the son of Illyrio, or Illyrio and Varys might simply be "up to their old tricks" and be stealing an item (Aegon) and selling it back to its owner (Westeros) at a larger price. But that's a topic for another thread.)

Archived