GRRM confirms we're seeing... [spoilers for tWoW]

Well, I always felt like we will be in Highgarden in the next 1 or 2 books, coz as I remember a big part of the Reach's army is at King's Landing with Randyll Tarly, the Ironborn planning to attack the Reach, the Golden Company is in the Stormlands next to the Reach and I think it's possible that the Golden Company will make an alliance with the Stormlands and they invade the Reach.

What you guys said that Aeron Greyjoy is missing so maybe he went to the Reach to alarm them could be a solution for having a POV there, but guys, Aeron is an Ironborn, a priest of the Drowned God, don't you feel like he would abandon his god if sneaks to the Reach to tell them everything, so they can prepare, and thus Aeron causes more Ironborn deaths? I am not an Aeron fan, but if this happens he will become one of the shittiest characters to me.

So I was/am waiting for Jon Connington or Lady Olenna(!) POV in Highgarden.

I would also like something to happen in Sotheros, but that seems very unlikely unless Dany's dragons misbehave and take her there.

No, please!

Not another deviation! When in she supposed to arrive in Westeros? Book 12, maybe? :(

Back in topic, if he said he can't wait to write it, I'd bet it's in the epilogue or the prologue, and I'd really like something like the citadel in AFFC, "spotted" in the prologue and then "POVed" by the end of the book.

In any case, if the POV is by the end of the book, it can be anyone, from Sam (who I bet won't stay long in the citadel) to Aryanne and JonCon (either as conquerers or guests to a marriage), from Aeron (I hope not, the less I read of him, the happier I am) to Dany and her party (she's going to fly to Westeros by the end of the book, most likely we'll see her landing in the continent too).

Hopefully, it's someone who knows much and likes nothing of the castle and the Tyrells!

From the existing POVs, I think Sam has the greatest chances to visit Highgarden:

I suspect we'll witness sack of Citadel by Eurons forces and the survivors will escape to Highgarden (Could be vice-versa though) but I guess burning of centuries old books at the citadel by Ironborn "barbarians" would make more compelling scene than just a fall of a beautiful castle.

From the existing POVs, I think Sam has the greatest chances to visit Highgarden:

I suspect we'll witness sack of Citadel by Eurons forces and the survivors will escape to Highgarden (Could be vice-versa though) but I guess burning of centuries old books at the citadel by Ironborn "barbarians" would make more compelling scene than just a fall of a beautiful castle.

As survivors? How about as captives? The Tyrells, Martells, and Tarlys all have family studying at the Citadel, Euron would be a fool to not take them as hostages.

Cercei gets freed, Goes totally batshit crazy, marches on highgarden and then gets defeated.

My guess is the Tyrell's try to marry of Margery again again again to Aegon.

the combination: Cersei gets freed, Tommen dies, she blames the Tyrrells and Margery flees back home just in time.

Cersei marches on highgarden for revenge and is defeated there. In the meantime virtually anyone can sack King's Landing

Good to hear

Given we apparently aren't getting any new POV characters, and the Porlogue will feature Jeyne Westerling so that presumably will take place in the Westerlands

My money is on Jon Con leading forces into the Reach after taking Storms End and presumably aligning with the Dornish, so makes sense to take the food supplies of the Reach, supplanting the Tyrells and putting the Florents back in power perhaps before marching on KL. Would have expected Euron Greyjoy but he probably has his eye on Oldtown more

Only question there is if the Reach gets hits from two fronts, eg what happens if JonCon clashes with Euron?

Looking forward to seeing Casterly Rock too

Just to be sure.. Willas is the older brother of Garlan, isn't he? So Highgarden smashing Cersei wouldn't fulfill the Valonqar..

While Garlan is the younger brother who's calling his bannerman to start pushing back the Ironborn in AFFC? So, if he's succesful at deflecting the Ironborn away from the Shield Islands, Mander, and Highgarden (which are to the north of his Brightwater Keep), which btw leaves Oldtown unprotected in the southern Reach, then that would leave the road open for JonCon to sweep into Highgarden afterwards, while Euron peers his gaze on what's south of Brightwater Keep, Oldtown.

I agree with Victarion Chainbreaker that Areo Hotah should be given consideration. He is geographically closer to Highgarden than Jon Con and Arianne, and we definitely do not fully understand what is going on with him and his plot line. I also think that a Willas Arianne marriage is not off the table, and may have been foreshadowed by Ariannes failed attempt at the marriage in the past.

Here is a crazy idea, what about Sansa last we knew she was leaving the eirie to tour the vale but it could be possible for her to go see highgarden seeing as Littlefinger Is friends with the tyrells

I know that Sansa from the show seems set to go to winterfell, but it's not unheard of for book and show to go in different ways.

What would Sansa do in Highgarden that would be relevant for her endgame? Go through with the SansaxWillas marriage? First Sansa would have to marry Harry, and then he would need to kick the bucket as well, in order to secure the Vale behind Sansa..

And if I were Willas, I definitely wouldn't by that point... Sansa would be worse then freaking Marge by then:

- Married off to a Lannister, never did the deed, so can be unnulled.

- Married off to a distant heir of the Vale, when surprisingly all closer heirs seem to drop like flies, and lo and behold, he does as well.. Vale goes to Sansa..

- Marries to a Tyrell.. North, Riverlands, Vale, Reach-Alliance is formed?

What's next? Sansa marries Trystane Martell? And thereby consolodating most of Westeros?

He also said that the Red Wedding was the hardest scene he ever written, so he kept postponing it. Hence, your example is not really a good example of his standard writing process..

No, it's really a fine example. It illustrates that the difficulty of writing a chapter has an effect on when he writes it.

Another example: He outlines Tyrion chapters, and comes back to them several times to 'perfect' his witty banter.

Also, Blue Tiger was correct when he speculated GRRM does write POVs in chunks, at least to some degree. I don't recall specific examples for this one, but I'm pretty confident he's said that before in interviews. He said something about that process making it easier to 'stay in the head' of his POVs.

EDIT: Crixus brings up another good point, which is we have no clue how heavy future material is going to be. Even if the RW was a 'special case' (which it isn't, it's just a more harsh example on a spectrum) for all we know there will be scenes almost as heavy/just as heavy to come.

Archived