Confirmed, HBO show will spoil the ending of series

Dragon Seed

Here you go...

From D&D:

Showrunner David Benioff confirmed in a talk at Oxford Union that book and show storylines will "eventually, basically, meet up at pretty much the same place where George is going; there might be a few deviations along the route, but we're heading towards the same destination.
"I kind of wish that there were some things we didn't have to spoil, but we're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. The show must go on ... and that's what we're going to do."
They met with GRRM and have the complete layout of the story:
Last year we went out to Santa Fe for a week to sit down with [Martin] and just talk through where things are going, continued Benioff. Because we don't know if we are going to catch up, and where exactly that would be if you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it. And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we sat just down with him and literally went through every character and said, "So what's the destination for Daenarys? And Arya?"
They are working toward the ending George gave them:
So last September at a seaside park grove in Croatia, inside a dim tent full of camera monitors, we asked the duo: You know Georges ending for the saga. A lot of fans have wondered whether its going to pay off in a satisfying way. Non-specifically, do you feel the sagas ending is creatively satisfying? Is it an ending youre excited to work towards?

Their replies were immediate and emphatic.

Benioff: Absolutely yes.

Weiss: 100 percent.

Thanks!

Off topic, but I hope that in season 6 if they bring Bran back he will have gotten rid of the childish bangs, that Jon will have a wig of long hair like Ned's and Benjens, and that Dany will unbraid that hair and place a ruby red drangon crown on her head.

If the show runs 7 seasons, that's 3 years. A lot can happen is 3 years.

Watching the season 4 DVD's for instance, I asked myself who is this Locke and why is Bran at Craster's? I'm going to enjoy the show, and I'm hoping to eventually read WOW and ADOS.

Off topic, but I hope that in season 6 if they bring Bran back he will have gotten rid of the childish bangs, that Jon will have a wig of long hair like Ned's and Benjens, and that Dany will unbraid that hair and place a ruby red drangon crown on her head.

If the show runs 7 seasons, that's 3 years. A lot can happen is 3 years.

Watching the season 4 DVD's for instance, I asked myself who is this Locke and why is Bran at Craster's? I'm going to enjoy the show, and I'm hoping to eventually read WOW and ADOS.

S6 will be WoW. So yes Bran will be back.

...So last September at a seaside park grove in Croatia, inside a dim tent full of camera monitors, we asked the duo: You know Georges ending for the saga. A lot of fans have wondered whether its going to pay off in a satisfying way. Non-specifically, do you feel the sagas ending is creatively satisfying? Is it an ending youre excited to work towards?

Their replies were immediate and emphatic.

Benioff: Absolutely yes.

Weiss: 100 percent.

Yeah, that's great, but I don't think they could have said anything other than that really, could they?

"What do you think of the ending?"

"It's lame and convoluted, which is where the adapting really comes in handy."

Yeah, that's great, but I don't think they could have said anything other than that really, could they?

"What do you think of the ending?"

"It's lame and convoluted, which is where the adapting really comes in handy."

What is your point?

The question was, whether they were excited to work towards the ending and they answered yes they are excited to work towards the ending George gave them.

Also confirmed: "A Dance with Dragons" will be released in July 2011.

Or, in other words, I'm genuinely surprised that anybody considers that "news". Hello! The series will wrap up in the next two-three years, and GRRM hasn't released the 6th book yet, let alone the 7th. Yes, HBO will beat the writer to the finish line, it's been inevitable for some time now.

In the words of the charming ladies from "Chicago", "He had it coming, he had it coming, he only has himself to blame..."

Far from it. In fact using math based on info we have about manuscript page numbers, conservative estimates place it around early 2019, and optimistic estimates say maybe March-June 2016. Late 2016-early 2017 is most "probable."

Writing isn't a math problem, for sure, but there's almost no way it's landing for another year at least.

Since when did it take him 8 years to finish a book?, unless we are assuming that an increase in writing time for the last 2 books can be plotted on a linear graph, which is ridiculous.

Unlike AFFC and ADWD he has had no major story issues that he has had to work out, and his main source of delay has been side projects, which have mostly been cancelled, finished or put on hold at this point. He thinks his completion within 4 months or so is a real possibility.

Optimistic would be November to January 2016, March to June might be fairly likely.

What is your point?

The question was, whether they were excited to work towards the ending and they answered yes they are excited to work towards the ending George gave them.

The point is: they could not say anything else, so it means about nothing.

Why not? They own the rights. They can technically say whatever they want, and Martin cannot just walk out with his script. Martin could get fussy about it, but that would have little affect on the outcome.

If they wanted, they could take us all the way to the final episode and have the screen go black. Then Bran opens his eyes with Cat looking down on him.

What is your point?

Er, the first question there is whether or not the ending is creatively satisfying, isn't it?

And my point is that go-team cool aid sharing is par for the course with this corporate stuff. The whole thing's a mega love in so they're hardly likely to say anything negative about the conclusion of the ouevre, or confess to finding the adaptation process stultifying (If they thought either of these things, of course ).

As noted above they could have said whatever they wanted but it's not even about that, it's about the fact that they are working towards the ending that George gave them, so whether they are excited or not is irrelevant to this conversation. What is relevant is the fact that they know the ending and are working towards it.

Er, the first question there is whether or not the ending is creatively satisfying, isn't it?

And my point is that go-team cool aid sharing is par for the course with this corporate stuff. The whole thing's a mega love in so they're hardly likely to say anything negative about the conclusion of the ouevre, or confess to finding the adaptation process stultifying (If they thought either of these things, of course ).

See above.

I don't mind. We will know about how the general story ends and about how the main characters end up, but there will be plenty of story untold and most of it will be told differently anyway. I expects loads of "Craster's Keep journeys" in the remaining seasons.

Sansa in Winterfell this season seems to be one of such. And Jaime in Dorne... show!Dorne in general.

GRRM has already told D&D the ending of the series as well as the end game for all the major characters. He's not going to hold back, HBO owns the rights to the story.

Honestly. I dont understand, why is so hard for people to grasp. If either Dany or Jon for instance, end up as a king or queen in the show. The exact same thing is going to be occuring the later book.

I guess im just frustrated that having been told this, by the author and show creators, that this is the case; people still think that Martin is going to change something major.

As noted above they could have said whatever they wanted but it's not even about that, it's about the fact that they are working towards the ending that George gave them, so whether they are excited or not is irrelevant to this conversation. What is relevant is the fact that they know the ending and are working towards it.

See above.

Woah, I'm confused..So was the question you were answering when replying to my first post: 'Do they (the TV dudes) know the ending of the book, and are they working toward it?'

I didnt know that was up For debate! Doesn't the original post of this thread more or less just state that fact?

:bawl: will he have those bangs? I'm playing around. :devil: I understand that people don't want to be spoiled.

I know the bangs need to go, especially if he is starting to become some sort magical being. I mean the hipster/emo look only fits Jon....Bran needs to develop some sort of "I'm going to make your brain explode from inside a tree" sort of look.

Woah, I'm confused..So was the question you were answering when replying to my first post: 'Do they (the TV dudes) know the ending of the book, and are they working toward it?'

I didnt know that was up For debate! Doesn't the original post of this thread more or less just state that fact?

Yes, it was the original question I was answering.

Some people in the thread were questioning the fact that we will see the same ending in the show as in the series.

I think our wires might have gotten cross. :cheers:

Archived