Small things that annoy you ?

TheLightning Lord

It doesn't help the Arianne chapter, The Princess in the Tower, reads as if it were ghost-written by someone trying to parody Martin's style.

How could you say that! The Princess in the Tower is one of my favourite chapters in the series.

Someone should start a companion thread to this entitled 'small things that amuse you in asoiaf'

That would be funny because I could copy half the things people said here, paste it in that thread and it would be totally true for me.

The names also bother me. I know we aren't meant to like the Ghiscari, but at least act like you try to care about them.

Hizdhar is a cool name. But Reznaq and Galazza? Lay off the Z's.

I also can not see any variation between the cities?

Although the names quite bothers me because I can barely distinguish one character from the other one (when Daenerys decided to marry Hizdahr, I was like "who? did he appeared before?", it took me quite some time to remember his name and it is the only Ghiscari name I can recall), I quite like the idea of a completely different culture whose members can be identified thanks to their names. It reminds me of RPG game Morrowind, in which there were 10 different races of NPC and you could easily guess the race of a person just based on the name. I just dislike the excess of R's, Z's, Q's, H's in the names. But good try, GRRM! :)

But what bugs me a bit then is that the Slaver's Bay seems to be the only place in the ASOIAF universe to have their own unique way of creating names. Look how large Westeros is, look how large Essos is. Yet, there is only the Slaver's Bay. You can find some traces of it in Tagaeryens' names and in Dothrakis' names but that's it.

Were the hell are all the other Starks? How is it even possible that there was only one family left?

You ask this after all that happened in the books?

Rickard - cooked alive in his armor

Brandon - strangled

Lyanna - died of chilbirth*

Benjen - MIA

Eddard - Executed

Robb - Murdered

TL;DR - Starks love to die.

I totally agree about Dany loving Drogo, she knew the guy for a few weeks and all of the sudden he was the greatest man ever. I get it he took her V card and was the only guy to treat her as a person, but it still was a forced marriage.

I think the Stockholm angle was entirely sure to Viserys. IIRC, Dany continued to love Drogo even after he killed Vis, maybe cuz he finally freed her from living in his shadow.

Were the hell are all the other Starks? How is it even possible that there was only one family left?

Yeah, that's right. Although we can assume that all women were married to some other lords and they help to continue their Houses and that some of the men died in battles, from diseases, during accidents, still there should be some who survived and who had their own families. But this comes to all Houses, not only Starks. Excluding the Freys, the Lannisters seem to me to be the only House with a lot of members.

Yeah, that's right. Although we can assume that all women were married to some other lords and they help to continue their Houses and that some of the men died in battles, from diseases, during accidents, still there should be some who survived and who had their own families. But this comes to all Houses, not only Starks. Excluding the Freys, the Lannisters seem to me to be the only House with a lot of members.

We just don't know all members of let's say House Dustin...

Also we know that Tyrells are very big family...

8000 years old houses.

... and they actually live in the same house castle as their ancestors thousands of years ago.

I'd "hand wave it" to the story being set in a fantasy world but we have so many examples in the books of one major conflict (Wo5K, RR, Aegon's Conquest, Blakfyre Rebellion ...) leading to the total annihilation of families who chose the wrong side.

Barathenos, Tullys and Arryns are currently all more or less one person from being extinct despite being in fairly good state mere few years ago. Starks have lost good portion of their members and their dominion over the North at the same time. Whents were a numerous, prestigious and very rich house at the time of Robert's Rebellion but are extinct now. House Darry, Reyne, Tarbeck, Gardener, Darklyn, Hollard etc. are but a few more examples.

The even more bizarre is the idea are the distinctive loos of the families which they have been able to preserve for hundreds if not thousand of year. When we hear about the "Stark look" of Ned, Arya, Jon, Brandon or Lyanna, it presumably is the same as the statues in the crypts, which depicts the former Lords of Winterfell and Kings of the North. Yet most of the current Stark kids look more like Tullys and should Robb had children with Jeyne and continued the line, the quintessential Stark look would be lost within couple generations.

We do not know why Ashara, Gerold or Edric Dayne have purple eyes but it's probably not because Ashara's granddad married a woman from Lys. We are meant to think that the Daynes always have purple eyes, same as the Baratheons always have black hair and blue eyes. How on earth can you keep a trait like that over more than just few generations?

The even more bizarre is the idea are the distinctive loos of the families which they have been able to preserve for hundreds if not thousand of year. When we hear about the "Stark look" of Ned, Arya, Jon, Brandon or Lyanna, it presumably is the same as the statues in the crypts, which depicts the former Lords of Winterfell and Kings of the North. Yet most of the current Stark kids look more like Tullys and should Robb had children with Jeyne and continued the line, the quintessential Stark look would be lost within couple generations.

We do not know why Ashara, Gerold or Edric Dayne have purple eyes but it's probably not because Ashara's granddad married a woman from Lys. We are meant to think that the Daynes always have purple eyes, same as the Baratheons always have black hair and blue eyes. How on earth can you keep a trait like that over more than just few generations?

The answer is magic. A wizard did it .

Seriously, that’s was the author said.

Probably was already mentioned - the chapter titles that are not just characters' names. After so many time, it's still annoys me.

From the show, the extremely minor thing that annoys me is actor's hair being wrong. It kinda annoys me that Dany remained with her long hair, that Stannis is not bold, that Tyrion's hair color was wrong, that Jaime's hairstyle was changing every season and every season it was wrong... Wow, I'm shallow :mellow:

Me too. I have a thing with hair. Don't know why.

I have a thing against show Dany's eyebrows. I think most everyone does. I have mad respect for Emilia Clarke, and at least the producers have clearly told her beforehand to tone down the cute, but very distracting, eyebrow wiggling thing she otherwise does whenever she's talking. But they are the totally wrong colour in relation to her hair. Someone with hair that colour would have the same colour of eyebrows and pubic hair. Emilia hasn't shown the latter, which is after all her choice: but you can clearly tell she has very dark eyebrows that do not match the character's colour of hair.

I have a thing against show Dany's eyebrows. I think most everyone does. I have mad respect for Emilia Clarke, and at least the producers have clearly told her beforehand to tone down the cute, but very distracting, eyebrow wiggling thing she otherwise does whenever she's talking. But they are the totally wrong colour in relation to her hair. Someone with hair that colour would have the same colour of eyebrows and pubic hair. Emilia hasn't shown the latter, which is after all her choice: but you can clearly tell she has very dark eyebrows that do not match the character's colour of hair.

The whole wig is wrong it's like a white blond when Dany has silver hair with gold, that annoys. The clothes seem like from all kinds of different eras and so does the buildings.

"Broke their fast..." It's mostly in GoT but it annoys me.

"My Lord Father...", "My Lady Mother...." It must be incredibly annoying to write that out every, stinking, time. It's annoying to read every stinking time. You'd think the characters would just say Father or Mother, especially when talking casually.

AND, (this is a problem with a lot of fantasy), the idea that these people have been living and going about their business for thousands of years and their technology has never gotten better. Often, there's a sense that the ancients knew more than they do, that knowledge has been lost long ago. I mean, 8 millenia and no one has figured out indoor plumbing??

Perhaps magic has something to do with it, like why would you invent the car when you could ride a dragon? Just not economical to put in the effort lol.

For what it's worth I think Where do whores go? is one of the best lines in the series. It's Perfect for Tyrion and his state of mind at that point. He's trying to use humor to distract himself from the fact that at that point he is kinda as screwed as he's ever going to be. And for the reader, it's funny but also sad, because it reminds us of all the love Tywin never had for Tyrion.

Archived