Drive from London to NYC in a car

zelticgar

These GenChatters wouldn't understand that reference.

King Aerys was full of schemes, boasting about his grand plans, then quickly forgetting about them in less than a moon's turn. Aerys boasted upon his coronation about invading the Stepstones and adding them to the Seven Kingdoms. When Lord Rickard Stark of Winterfell visited King's Landing in 264 AC, the king hatched a plan to build a new Wall hundreds of miles north of the current one and claim all the lands in between. After complaining about the stink of King's Landing in 265 AC, Aerys wanted to build a new city of white marble on the south bank of the Blackwater. In 267 AC, after a dispute with the Iron Bank of Braavos, Aerys claimed he would build a war fleet and bring the Titan of Braavos to its knees. When he visited Dorne in 270 AC, he told the Princess of Dorne that he would build an underwater canal and make the deserts bloom. Nothing ever came from any of these grandiose schemes, as Aerys was changeable and grew as bored with his ideas as quickly as they came to him.

As soon as I read this I just envisioned the swarms of environmental protestors that will likely argue against this :dunno:

That has been one of the more major issues with the Alaskan projects. The permitting process takes hell and forever (decade plus). And the environmentalists make some legit points. But the mineral deposits are just far too tempting. Plus, expensive as building a road would be, it is far cheaper than flying goods and people in to many remote settlements, as is the case now.

My view is a railroad would probably be the best option environmental wise, especially if its electric (Alaska, at least, has a *lot* of untapped hydro-electric potential).

Archived