If Stannis raised Sam?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Stannis and Randyll Tarly have a lot in common: Both are harsh, stern no nonsense men who take don't take back sass from anyone.

My question is, would Stannis have done a better job raising Sam, or would the end result have been the same?

Im inclined to think Stannis would do a better job. While he is harsh, biting, and insensitive, he seems to have less of the deliberate emotional cruelty of Randyll, and is unlikely to say someone deserves to be raped. He is also more of a shrewd intelligent person, and more inclined to value people who aren't necessarily red-blooded, muscular, war-like alpha males.

Unlike Stannis, I am not sure that Randyll is really all about "justice." He is not just as much as he is harsh and unmerciful, and doesn't necessarily think about giving people what their due.

It's going to be better.

1. Stannis while likely a capable warrior is not obsessed with the martial traditions like Randyl Tary, Robert etc.

2. Stannis feeling the way he does about Storm's End is not going to try and screw Sam out of his inheritance.

3. Stannis has a healthy respect for maesters and history

4. Stannis is not above utilizing people with less than conventional skills. His chief advisers are a smuggler and a foreigner priestess.

I can see Sam being a lord like Rodrik the Reader. Wise. Knowledgeable. With his own type of non martial courage.

Stannis is intelligent enough to see Sam as no warrior early on and would then concentrate on Sam's intelligence,not saying it'd be an easy ride though as stannis can be sharp with that mouth o' his, but I can't see him being malicious.after all he's not a cunt with shireen.imagine tarly with a daughter like that?

Stannis and Randyll Tarly have a lot in common: Both are harsh, stern no nonsense men who take don't take back sass from anyone.

My question is, would Stannis have done a better job raising Sam, or would the end result have been the same?

Im inclined to think Stannis would do a better job. While he is harsh, biting, and insensitive, he seems to have less of the deliberate emotional cruelty of Randyll, and is unlikely to say someone deserves to be raped. He is also more of a shrewd intelligent person, and more inclined to value people who aren't necessarily red-blooded, muscular, war-like alpha males.

Unlike Stannis, I am not sure that Randyll is really all about "justice." He is not just as much as he is harsh and unmerciful, and doesn't necessarily think about giving people what their due.

This is what happens when an author takes 5 years to write a book

Stannis would definitely realize that focusing on martial skill would not be wise, but he would not want him to become a maester, especially if he had no other male children. I think the primary reason Sam got fat was the abuse he suffered from his father, and having a mental block on enjoying physical activity, especially since so many popular physical activities at that time are the kind of thing Sam finds unpleasant. Sam seems to be good with maps and caring towards living things, he could be encouraged to spend time hiking through the wilderness mapping and cataloguing his father's domain. That with some steward-like responsibilities around the castle to keep him busy enough to miss meals when he's not in the field and Sam could become a very fit and capable man.

He would keep him close and expose him to his future role as a leader from a young age, just like Ned Stark. I doubt Sam Baratheon would be very squeamish, as he would witness the justice of Stannis on a regular basis growing up. He'd probably be at least as good an archer as Theon as Stannis would be perceptive enough to pick up on his inherent ability with archery. He would be shaping up to be an awesome lord about the time Stannis sacrificed him for favorable winds or something like that.

Stannis is the man who posted Onion Knight as his Hand. And look what a badass Hand Davos is. Stannis will have raised Sam better,

although if Sam had King's blood Stannis would have not hesitated to burn him, either.

But take that away, Stannis would know exactly to deal with a misfit, himself being one amidst Robert and Renly's merry irresponsible ways.

is it sad that Sam would be better off at DS with Patchface than with Randyll. He would also get along with Edric Storm, Shireen,and Davos. Stannis read more books than his brothers and Sam is a bookworm.

I do you one better. what if Brienne sided with Stannis over Renly, I don't see Stannis saying means thing like Randyll said to her.

Archived