Watch, Watched, Watching: The D Is Silent

Nox Irradiata

I think there may well be a correlation between how much people like Buffy and how much they like Veronica Mars because there are definitely similarities in the writing styles and sensibilities of Joss Whedon and Rob Thomas and the connection is most obvious with Buffy out of Whedon's shows because they're both set in a High School in a small Californian town. Veronica Mars even makes reference to this in the film having a character visiting Veronica's old school and commenting 'this place really is built on a Hellmouth'.

I really like the way the mystery unfolds over the first season, aside from a few weak episodes early in the season it's a great example of how to pace a storyline over 22 episodes.

Yeah, the mystery is really well done. Lots of twists without being convoluted and lots of well-placed red herrings. What I loved about the series was its uses of traditional hard-boiled and noir tropes and themes- seedy aristocracy, corrupt law enforcement and social system and so on- and modernized them while removing the weird conservatism you find in Hammett or Chandler. It's like Raymond Chandler as written by Joss Whedon.

I am watching Camelot, which is an ok show that somehow managed to land Eva Green, and Bloodline, which has Coach Taylor.

Watched Powers, new superhero series with Sharlto Copley as a Power who lost his abilities and is now a cop working in the Powers Division of LAPD; Noah Taylor and Eddie Izzard as villains; and Michelle Forbes as Retro Girl (not sure if she's just guest starring in a few episodes or is a regular). It's based on a comic book. Streams on Playstation. Apparently Sony released the pilot for free on Youtube, but it looks like they've already removed it.

It's good so far.

Spoiler
Apparently it's possible for a normal human to leech some power from a Power by exchanging bodily fluids... So unlike Heroes, where Silas was early on hinted at eating brains to steal powers but they pulled back from that, this show actually has a character called The Wolf that eats Powers to steal their powers. But it seems that ability is not unique to the Wolf, since if you give a blowjob to a power, you have his powers for a few seconds.

Spent the afternoon swimming at the beach (and cut my hands on a coral reef! :(). Now it's time to chillax with a pizza and a Netflix marathon.

First up: Killing Them Softly

ETA: Got about halfway through Killing Them Softly and wasn't feeling it at all. Any favorite hit-man movie recommendations?

ETA: Got about halfway through Killing Them Softly and wasn't feeling it at all. Any favorite hit-man movie recommendations?

The Professional, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Ghost Dog, Road to Perdition. I haven't seen Collateral, yet, but people on this forum seem to like it.

There's an awful lot of Japanese and Chinese ones that get a lot of hype; I don't know specifics as I haven't seen many but I'd look into that scene. I know a chap with good taste recc'd me Fallen Angels aaaaaaages back but I never managed to watch it. Will have to do that at some stage...

A Bittersweet Life from Korea is pretty good.

Of the Western ones I've seen, Leon: The Professional is easily the best, and on top of those already mentioned, I'd also recommend Mr and Mrs Smith (for something a bit more comic), Hanna, and John Wick.

I am sort of bummed that I'm not digging it. Same thing has happened with Buffy. It's a loss of some good cultural currency as I'll continue to never get the references.

Speaking of not getting references, I should have brushed up on recent history before watching Good Morning Vietnam.

First up: Killing Them Softly

It's not at all a hit-man movie in the way you'd normally expect. That said, I'd totally try to finish it off if you don't hate it cause the ending is easily the best part of the movie.

Yeah, the mystery is really well done. Lots of twists without being convoluted and lots of well-placed red herrings. What I loved about the series was its uses of traditional hard-boiled and noir tropes and themes- seedy aristocracy, corrupt law enforcement and social system and so on- and modernized them while removing the weird conservatism you find in Hammett or Chandler. It's like Raymond Chandler as written by Joss Whedon.

The best part about the mystery to me is it all makes perfect sense in the end once you have all the information. The minute you get that last piece it all snaps into place.

It does a good job of not making you feel either cheated because the answer was being hidden from you but not the characters or like the characters are morons cause the guilty party is so goddamn obvious.

I thought the Lego Movie was good but not as great as all the praise given to it. Interesting there are four sequels / spin-offs in production: The Lego Movie 2, a ninja-lego one called Ninjago, a Jason Segel written one called the Billion Brick Race, and of course Lego Batman.

I thought the Lego Movie was good but not as great as all the praise given to it. Interesting there are four sequels / spin-offs in production: The Lego Movie 2, a ninja-lego one called Ninjago, a Jason Segel written one called the Billion Brick Race, and of course Lego Batman.

I thought this was a joke I was missing and googled and now can't stop laughing at the fact that these are real things being produced.

Archived