What if Stannis had stayed loyal to the Targs?

Robbie7707

I was re-listening to book three on audible and something stood out to me... Stannis told Davos It was a hard choice when he chose to follow Robert in his rebellion. Now imagine...what if Stannis had stayed loyal to the Targs? We know that at least three stormland houses...Fell, Grandison and Cafferen stayed loyal to the Targs...what if they had a Baratheon to follow? How many houses across the kingdoms would have second thoughts about Robert if even his own brother wont take him for a King?

I was re-listening to book three on audible and something stood out to me... Stannis told Davos It was a hard choice when he chose to follow Robert in his rebellion. Now imagine...what if Stannis had stayed loyal to the Targs? We know that at least three stormland houses...Fell, Grandison and Cafferen stayed loyal to the Targs...what if they had a Baratheon to follow? How many houses across the kingdoms would have second thoughts about Robert if even his own brother wont take him for a King?

He might have been given Storm's End and other rewards if the loyalists won. But Stannis wasn't really popular and has always been known as too much of a Dudley-do-right so I doubt him staying loyal to the Targs would have made a significant impact on the rebels backing his brother.

Didn't all the major houses and banner-men that swore fealty to the Baratheons choose to support Renly's claim over Stannis'es even though he obviously had the stronger case?

That should tell you a lot about his lack of popularity and charisma.

I don't think it would have done much in terms of weakening Robert's power but Stannis would have indeed been an excellent ally to King Aegon.

Might have even saved him from the sack of King Landing by sailing over from Dragonstone.

Fuck it maybe even Tywin would have chose to remain neutral for longer than he did.

Fuck it maybe even Tywin would have chose to remain neutral for longer than he did.

Or SHORTER!

Stannis is not a popular figure, no doubt, but rebellion is a big deal. Surely, the Stormlands would have viewed Robert more as a traitor if Stannis held for the Targs. And THAT would have made a difference IMO. If Stannis stayed red&black, the siding of the Stormlands to Robert's rebellion would have been much a much more dificult choice. and that would have made a big difference for the outcome. Shoot, Robert may have been assassinated when he tried to muster up his army.

Or SHORTER!

Stannis is not a popular figure, no doubt, but rebellion is a big deal. Surely, the Stormlands would have viewed Robert more as a traitor if Stannis held for the Targs. And THAT would have made a difference IMO. If Stannis stayed red&black, the siding of the Stormlands to Robert's rebellion would have been much a much more dificult choice. and that would have made a big difference for the outcome. Shoot, Robert may have been assassinated when he tried to muster up his army.

Good point.

Robert's first opposition came from his own lands already.

He crushed them handily but it would have definitely been a more competitive battle with Stannis involved on the opposing team- with his tactical wits and all.

Maybe Robert wouldn't have even got past the Stormlands and Stannis would have been rewarded with lordship over it after the rebellion was crushed.

Archived