Septon Meribald Appreciation Thread

Ser RoddyRuinuous

Septon Meribald is cool and deserves some appreciation! His travels with Bri & Co provide a nice respite from the war and killing and torture plus his simple, basic humanity is refreshing. He is of course, a broken man, but one who has found a way to heal and serve.

He and the EB are the 'broken man' bookends. SM provides the story for the psychological damages that come from war and violence that can break a man, and the EB tells us of the physical and near death damages from war that can break a man. Both aspects are important and each deserves the chapter given to them.

When SM or the EB is compared with, say, the High Sparrow or some of the other militant religious folks in the story, I'm glad GRRM included them. Their compassion and humanity show brightly against the darker type of authoritarian punishment based approach of the HS. Makes for quite a contrast.

I hope we see Septon Meribald and Dog again!

:)

Yeah, Meribald is a pretty cool dude.

As mentioned above, Podrick Payne is a pretty good guy as well.

The only character that I can think of that kind of compares is the guy that shares his cave and food with Bran, Hodor, Meera, and Jojen.

Archived