No GRRM Script for Season 6

Westeros

• Cultural necessity. GOT is a cultural phenomenon, and for better or for worse pretty, typical water cooler conversation

You can keep talking about "separate entities," and I agree that they're not the same story at this point, but the resolutions will be "similar," meaning there are legitimate plot spoilers that will have meaning to book readers.

Kind of a continuation of #2, but given its prevalence in our society (especially social media), the risk of being spoiled for readers who don't want to be is incredibly high...almost impossible to avoid, actually. Many would rather at least watch how the "story" unfolds with some context (albeit changed from the books), rather than reading a tweet about King Jon or something.

Those three are the crux of the matter. Specially number 3. In this time and age it is impossible not to be spoiled by a show as populas as GoT. You'll read spoilers at twiter, you'll hear spoilers in loud discussions about it at bars, you'll stumble into internet memes with spoilers. You won't be safe anywhere on the net, and in few places at RL.

Those three are the crux of the matter. Specially number 3. In this time and age it is impossible not to be spoiled by a show as populas as GoT. You'll read spoilers at twiter, you'll hear spoilers in loud discussions about it at bars, you'll stumble into internet memes with spoilers. You won't be safe anywhere on the net, and in few places at RL.

And how sweet of a poetic justice it will be for the annoying book fans who have lorded it over the show watcher friends. Sublime!

You may be hate-watching the show, but I will be grabbing popcorn for the inevitable purist reaction on social media.

Started reading the books when I was 14. That's 13 years waiting for an ending. So yeah, I feel the pain, I understand it.

I've only watched season one and half of season two, I don't like the show, but I don't go around talking shit about it. My choice.

Am I a purist? Probably. Do I think people should stop watching the show? No, reading a series like asoiaf isn't for everyone (not trying to sound condescending)

But talking about poetic justice? That just makes me sad...

Anyway, not posting to get in a lost war.

My reason for posting here is a very simple question: What's the last time George wrote a script?

Started reading the books when I was 14. That's 13 years waiting for an ending. So yeah, I feel the pain, I understand it.

I've only watched season one and half of season two, I don't like the show, but I don't go around talking shit about it. My choice.

Am I a purist? Probably. Do I think people should stop watching the show? No, reading a series like asoiaf isn't for everyone (not trying to sound condescending)

But talking about poetic justice? That just makes me sad...

Anyway, not posting to get in a lost war.

My reason for posting here is a very simple question: What's the last time George wrote a script?

Perhaps GOT Season 4, Episode 2: "The Lion and the Rose"

When GRRM first came out and said he would not be writing an episode for the sixth season, my first instinct felt like he was pouting. I mean first it was all of this talk about 10 seasons and then came all of the talk about a movie. This was followed by the show writers saying their plan was for 7 seasons, because they wanted to hit that sweet spot. I am not being critical of GRRM. To be honest it sounds like something I would say. O.K., well you have made me mad so I am going home and taking my toys.

I love the books and I enjoy the show tremendously. I enjoy long winding stories with lots of characters. I like the familiarity of revisiting my characters. It gives the feeling of visiting with family and friends you have not seen for awhile. Another poster stated that he did not feel like everything can be wrapped up in just 2 more books, or in 3 more seasons and I agree with that. However I do feel like it can go on too long. There is a danger of drawing things out too long and it loses its spark.

In my opinion, I feel that GRRM has gotten lost in the minutia of all of the characters, back story and world that he has created. While I do enjoy all of these characters, I also believe that it is a lot easier to invent a new person and give them a complete history and interesting surroundings then it is to make those characters actually do something to move the story along. While I love speculating on what things could mean and if characters are really someone else, there is no way all of these things are going to actually mean anything at all.

Gosh, since Book 1 has come out.

1. We've had three different Presidents (Clinton, Bush and Obama)

2. Congress went from Republicans, to Democrats back to Republicans

3. Steve Yzerman played for the Red Wings and is now GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning

4. The SEC has dominated the BCS era . . .

5. LGTBQI marriage has become legal federally and in many staets.

6. Rec. marijuana use is legal in Colorado, Alaska and Washington

7. The Tampa Bay Bucs have won a Super Bowl

8. The California Angels, Red Sox and White Sox have won world series titles.

9. There were no, "Fast and Furious" movies.

10. Dave and Dan were in high school.

I know this is a grim way to look at things, but evey year that passes before Winds is published makes it more likely that Dream of Spring will never get published. That's why I'm praying we get good news THIS year.

TWOW will be another 5-10 years after ADOS with Martin's usual pace. I'm going to be in my late 30s shopping around for last minute christmas presents in a book store when I come across a book that makes me stop dead in my tracks. I will pick it up, read the back and remember how awesome the books were and all the controversy around the show finishing first. I'll think to myself "Remember how they cut all those characters out, time to find out what really happened".

9. There were no, "Fast and Furious" movies.

Ahhh those were some good days. Although I am going to see the new one later haha

Today's release from GRRM just confirms my initial feeling that he is pouting. Today the story is he has thought of a new plot twist for a character that the showrunners cannot possibly replicate on the show because they have already gone in a different direction for that particular character. How childish and petty.

Would GRRM write several episodes for season 7 instead? When finished book 6 when he hopes to finish it, I guess the writings for season 7 will start. That could be just in time for him to write the final 3 or more episodes for season 7.

Yes, he is pouting. Why mention the show at all if he wasn't miffed about it.

How is it pouting? He's well within his rights to not want the show to spoil his books. If he's managed to come up with a natural feeling twist to help prevent that then that's great.

How is it pouting? He's well within his rights to not want the show to spoil his books. If he's managed to come up with a natural feeling twist to help prevent that then that's great.

It has always been fully within his control to prevent the show from finishing the story. Jesus, they inked the HBO deal in 2007, 8 years ago. Since then, he has managed to get ONE book out. He knows how TV works.

And while I wouldn't call it pouting, I would call it some kind of passive/aggressive reaction to the crap situation that his own procrastination has created, why else would he keep saying how he's changing things from what the show has done/will do?

I don't know about D&D's vision of the show. At the Oxford interview one person asked them a question about out of all the non POV characters in the books, which one did they enjoy expanding their role in the show. They said Sam, the actor who plays him had to remind them that Sam is a POV in two books. I know it's nit picking, but that showed me that they are not on point in honoring original source materials as they did in the first two seasons. I believe the show is going to whitewash characters for fan service purposes and not have the guts to be different from other TV shows.

Yes, he is pouting. Why mention the show at all if he wasn't miffed about it.

It has always been fully within his control to prevent the show from finishing the story. Jesus, they inked the HBO deal in 2007, 8 years ago. Since then, he has managed to get ONE book out. He knows how TV works.

And while I wouldn't call it pouting, I would call it some kind of passive/aggressive reaction to the crap situation that his own procrastination has created, why else would he keep saying how he's changing things from what the show has done/will do?

Those were my reactions too when I read the interview. I read it several times, in case it was just the way it was reported, but it still came across with a slightly unpleasant, petulant note. Of course, GRRM may just have been speaking off the cuff and not really thinking about the implications of 'what' he was saying, but he is usually pretty careful about his comments on future books. I'm very glad he is having moments of inspiration as he writes, and I hope he keeps having them so he will complete the series at some stage, but if he is only considering putting this particular twist in the books, why mention the show at all? And why bother saying that it's has gone past the point at which the show writers can do anything about it? All he needed to say was that he was making good progress with TWOW and he'd had an exciting moment of inspiration. It was quite unecessary to mention the show and all he's done is fan show vs books flames.

I honestly couldn't care less when/if George finishes the books. After all, there are millions of other books in the world worth reading!! He can take as long as he likes, and I simply disregard all his updates about supposed progress. I will believe TWOW is finished when I see it on the bookselves. I am perfectly resigned to the possibility that we may indeed never see the end of the book series, but meanwhile, we have an excellent TV series which deserves to be considered in its own right as a TV show, and I am very happy to sit back and enjoy that. At least I know we will get an ending there!

Archived