Rickon, Davos, Glover and Manderly

Lord Damian

It has been a while since we discussed this. The Davos Timeline (when he got is ultematum) from Manderly and the time between then and the Battle of Winterfell which is about to commence. Glover is ready to lead a host and there are ships galore in White Harbor, waiting. Will Davos take them to Skagos or sneak in on one to bring Rickon home, Shaggy too and hopefully Osha. My bet is that Rickon has been obtained and the news made Wyman so happy he openly insulted the Freys with delight, resulting in an altercation and his own tripple chin getting slashed. We know from gift chapters like, "the sacrafice" that Stannis has discovered traitors and dealt with them accordingly but he also discovered, what the Bolton/Frey forces think is crucial map info on Stannis that he will undoubtably turn against them. So, how does Glover, with or without Davos and Rickon influence the Battle's outcome?

I think Wyman insults the Freys because he literally has nothing to lose now. His heir is safe, the freys who watched him are also dead. He is inside Winterfell, If he starts shit his men die but so do a lot of Frey and Bolton men. I am hoping we get to see what happens to to Rickon

Glover could be waiting in the wings with a stark heir small unicorn riding army and the most loyal man ever and that could be why Wyman is basically saying yolo it's an interesting idea though a few thousand more men is not what Stan needs right now he needs 20k + more to storm winter fell lies using his sword and stolen uniforms aside still I don't know what glover will do he could go and besiege the dread fort to cut off rooses escape if he gets word stuffs going well for Stan just throw his men in with Stan or stab him in the back for the Starks if this theoretical force exists.

Glover could be waiting in the wings with a stark heir small unicorn riding army and the most loyal man ever and that could be why Wyman is basically saying yolo it's an interesting idea though a few thousand more men is not what Stan needs right now he needs 20k + more to storm winter fell lies using his sword and stolen uniforms aside still I don't know what glover will do he could go and besiege the dread fort to cut off rooses escape if he gets word stuffs going well for Stan just throw his men in with Stan or stab him in the back for the Starks if this theoretical force exists.

I don't think it's out of the question for Glover to go for the Dreadfort as you say to cut off Roose's escape and also to make him lose prestige, there's also the fact that the women and children of Winterfell are there and need rescuing sooner rather than later. The castle will be easier to take than Winterfell because there are far fewer men there. However, Jon said it is a strong castle. A siege isn't really possible in autumn/winter and storming the castle would cost them a lot of men that they can't afford to lose, so I still think it's more likely that he goes straight for Winterfell.

I don't think Glover will make his move until they have Rickon. As dangerous as it is, they will actually need to have Rickon and Shaggydog with them as proof. The northmen inside Winterfell who are scared of Roose, such as Cerwyns, Tallharts, Hornwoods etc, may find that extra bit of courage to fight the Boltons inside the castle if they see a genuine Stark heir. All it takes is for someone to open the gates and let the relief army in, at which point Bolton will surely find himself outnumbered. It could be that Manderly already learnt that they have Rickon, perhaps through Crowfood Umber, and that's why he decided to act, or perhaps he just couldn't resist a dig at the Freys. It's hard to know what that man's thinking.

There's also the Greywater Watch lot to take into consideration. I doubt they've been sitting on their arses all this time. Whether they've been in touch with White Harbour I don't know but I think they've at least been in touch with Bear Island, so they could well join the party as well. In fact, it could be that they've already joined with Robett Glover. We just don't know.

I think Wyman insults the Freys because he literally has nothing to lose now. His heir is safe, the freys who watched him are also dead. He is inside Winterfell, If he starts shit his men die but so do a lot of Frey and Bolton men. I am hoping we get to see what happens to to Rickon

There might be a point that he would feel like he would have nothing to lose at this point.... but if he were to die then his son would certainly follow him in title, but would he follow him in his politics? I would argue that before the war Wylis would have probably followed his father into defying the Boltons if Wyman were to die. After his experience from being held by Clegane more than likely changed him. If Wyman were to die now would Wylis take up this cause or would he really be what his father pretended to be during the time Davos saw him?

I think since Wyman Manderly is so precise and deliberate on what he says, when he says it and how he says it, he knew it was to provoke a fight because the time was RIGHT. This may be wishful thinking but it seems quite possible. Now, about who wrote and sent the pink letter...

Would George really skip over Davos' entire POV of Skagos though? Not that the idea of Manderlys #BASED as fuck behavior at Winterfell being the result of literally knowing he can't lost now isn't awesome, but I just hadn't thought of it because the timeline wouldn't match up.

Would George really skip over Davos' entire POV of Skagos though? Not that the idea of Manderlys #BASED as fuck behavior at Winterfell being the result of literally knowing he can't lost now isn't awesome, but I just hadn't thought of it because the timeline wouldn't match up.

Well, it was earlier in the story when Davos was given his marching orders and given the slow pace of Manderly, having to be takin in a litter etc. Would there be enough time to get Rickon, osha and shaggy, especially if they and potential forces sailed up the river from White harbor to within a very short march to Winterfell, from the unsuspecting South route. . See my prior post "The Davos Timeline"

Wyman is lying to Davos. Remember under no scenario is Rickon Stark his "liege lord." Rickon is a stop-gap measure until they can find Bran (or Jon if you think he's the beneficiary of Robb's will) because Bran, not Rickon is the head of House Stark. Also, Robb's heir isn't Wyman Manderly's liege lord, he's his king. If the Manderlys are loyal to House Stark, how can they promise to bend the knee to Stannis when no one from House Stark has pledged fealty to him? Wyman's just using Davos to get Rickon back. He has no loyalty to Stannis. As for his behaviour in Winterfell? He wants to provoke the Freys and anger the other Northern houses. He succeeds. Heck, even Lady Dustin tells them off. If he dies, Roose has a bigger problem on his hands.

There's something fishy in White Harbor, if you ask me.

I think Manderly's excuse for asking Davos to go fetch Rickon is bullshit. Something about all his crew being rivermen or something like that? What are the chances? I mean, White Harbor is right next to the Sisters, the smugglers' den par excellence. How hard can it be to send Robett Glover to hire a semi-decent smuggler to take him to Skaagos?

There's something fishy in White Harbor, if you ask me.

I think Manderly's excuse for asking Davos to go fetch Rickon is bullshit. Something about all his crew being rivermen or something like that? What are the chances? I mean, White Harbor is right next to the Sisters, the smugglers' den par excellence. How hard can it be to send Robett Glover to hire a semi-decent smuggler to take him to Skaagos?

He probably could have done that but it wouldn't have been someone he could trust though.

Wyman is lying to Davos. Remember under no scenario is Rickon Stark his "liege lord." Rickon is a stop-gap measure until they can find Bran (or Jon if you think he's the beneficiary of Robb's will) because Bran, not Rickon is the head of House Stark. Also, Robb's heir isn't Wyman Manderly's liege lord, he's his king. If the Manderlys are loyal to House Stark, how can they promise to bend the knee to Stannis when no one from House Stark has pledged fealty to him? Wyman's just using Davos to get Rickon back. He has no loyalty to Stannis. As for his behaviour in Winterfell? He wants to provoke the Freys and anger the other Northern houses. He succeeds. Heck, even Lady Dustin tells them off. If he dies, Roose has a bigger problem on his hands.

I reread Davos IV from ADWD yesterday and came to a realization. Wyman doesn't necessarily know it is Rickon on Skagos and not Bran. He knows that one of the two boys wen't with a woman and a wolf, but from that chapter it is not clear he knows it is Rickon. Obviously he then knows it might be Rickon, but that's still better than Roose Bolton.

I don't see the "liege lord" problem. Wyman is talking to Davos. He couldn't say "bring me back my king". As far as Davos is concerned Stannis is the only true king and there's no way Davos would bring back a rival.

I sometimes wonder if Manderly and Co. are aware of the risks of bringing Rickon back. Even though he's still a little kid, he's at least a warg with a touch of greensight (seeing Ned's death). When he comes back, he could be riding a unicorn with the largest and wildest Direwolf South of the wall. He could be a danger to friends and foes alike.

I hope Davos returns just in time to turn the tide of the battle. In the confusion Ramsey or Roose (I can't remember if only one or both are leading the Bolton army) is unhorsed, he lifts his head from the snow & in front of him is Shaggy, a massive black dread reborn. Shaggy feasts on one of them ending the Boltons for good

Archived