Walder Frey= Safe and Sound?

Seaworth'sShipmate

If the RW2.0, Jaime, cancer, old age, an impatient heir, a fed-up wife, or someone else doesn't get him first, I always thought Harrenhal during Aegon's Conquest might be some foreshadowing for one of the more formidable castles, quite possibly the Twins. . .

ETA: After all, it is said to be cursed, and Walder Frey's earned some serious curse karma (not that karma exists, in real life or the books, but the curse thing may still hold some weight?)

Stoneheart and the Brotherhood can have Riverrun to play with, but I think the Twins belong to the Golden Company. And remember how fast they took Griffin's Roost

After all, the Blackfyre loyalists may or may not have a bone or two to pick with House Frey

I doubt any westerosi army will develop gunpowder soon. Plus in constantipnople the romans where massivly overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

You're forgetting Mehmed II bypassing the great chain. Still the point is, it fell.

But there is the problem of winter and supplies. It appears that the cold is spreading south. The northerners may not have a choice but to move south, which could inadvertently mean a siege. There were Romans, but you do mean greeks. The Roman (papal) army arrived with little desire to defend a rather depleted city. Still Mehmed had to break in, otherwise even 4 Greeks could have held the city. If Walder does not get supplies in, the people on the inside will starve. My point was that Mehmed implemented a creative idea to take the city, and it worked. They carried Ottoman ships overland and bypassed the chain where they bombarded the city, and on land the Ottoman artillery corp launched their own bombardment.

Either a northern army is going to take revenge, or the northerners fleeing south out of desperation are going to force Frey to open his gates. This is fantasy, and I highly doubt Martin is going to leave everyone inside their keeps until spring. It could be one of the great ironies in the novels. In the beginning Walder was the hard spot for northerners and southerners. By the end, he may be in the hard spot as northerners (JON or WW.....or both) push south and southerners (Aegon or Dany or both) push north.

I hope that he lives long enough to see his family destroyed and turned into a cautionary tale similar to the rat cook, or as an extension to the tale of the rat cook, sort of like an appendix to the story of the rat cook. His betrayal of the tradition of guests rights is Westeros' s version of a war crime.

Well, any force doesn't need to hold the Twins outright. The castle could simply be sacked by a force that has the will to mount an attack.

One interesting note may be that the Frey peasants might have lost the respect of their peasants. Considering that one of their villages hid Stonheart, and didn't reveal the location until "questioned sharply", we might be seeing something crawling unseen in their lands.

Well, of course he's good and safe. I mean, he's inside a big, great, strong castle, isn't? Maybe not as big and strong as Winterfell, Storm's End or Dragonstone, but still big and strong in its own right. And nobody can take a big, strong castle like Winterfell, Dragonstone or Storm's End, right? So he has nothing to worry about.

;)

I don't think that anyone with Freyblood, female or male, infant,child or adult, innocent or not is safe anymore. However I do hope that Walder will die of natural causes before the whole blind revenge thing. Not really because I like it but because the response around here will be AWESOME!

I really can't understand why Twins are "impossible to take". Yeah it may be a strong castle but I do not think it is even in top ten of the Westeros. I cannot really recall any passage about its exceptionality to be honest.

If Stannis can take Winterfell under those terrible conditions, taking Twins is nothing for him.

I really can't understand why Twins are "impossible to take". Yeah it may be a strong castle but I do not think it is even in top ten of the Westeros. I cannot really recall any passage about its exceptionality to be honest.

If Stannis can take Winterfell under those terrible conditions, taking Twins is nothing for him.

It's not, it was just not feasible due to other concerns (mostly time) when Robb considered it. Almost any castle can be taken by siege, if not by storm. It's a matter of time and resources.

I hope that he lives long enough to see his family destroyed and turned into a cautionary tale similar to the rat cook, or as an extension to the tale of the rat cook, sort of like an appendix to the story of the rat cook. His betrayal of the tradition of guests rights is Westeros' s version of a war crime.

I agree, given that old Walder loved to boast about how many children he'd spawned poetic justice on the evil old git would be for him to live just long enough to realise his actions have doomed his entire line. That said I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't give a shit anyway! One way or another considering the bastard is currently 90 plus he is arguably one of the most likely characters in the series to die of natural causes, which probably means he won't.

As for the rest of the Frey family breaking guest right has pretty much made it open season on them. We are going to see Freys being killed with impunity til the end of the series. One scene I fully expect see is one in a peasant village where a lynch mob drags a somewhat weaselly-looking man out of a house claiming him to be a Frey. The frightened accused repetitively denies he has any relation to House Frey, but they string him up anyway.

I also wouldn't at all be surprised when Daenerys eventually comes to Westeros to see a number of fugitive Freys (and possibly even a vengeful Ramsey Snow!) be amongst the first lords to try and pledge allegiance to her as 'fellow victims of the usurper's dogs'...

It's not, it was just not feasible due to other concerns (mostly time) when Robb considered it. Almost any castle can be taken by siege, if not by storm. It's a matter of time and resources.

Agreed, why would Robb attack if he could negotiate, considering that Freys were Tully bannermen.

It's not. There are many castles which are stronger then it, including many which have already fallen including Winterfell, Harrenhal, Riverrun

Yes the thing about why Lord Walder held all the cards with Robb was because Robb needed to cross the bridge and quickly. The situation becomes very different if somebody comes to the Twins for other reasons, like wanting to attack it to get the Freys themselves because they have other options available to them including bringing the whole place down on top of the Freys.

This is maybe foreshadowed when the Walders and Rickon were playing 'Lord of the Crossing' at Winterfell and the game ends because Shaggydog decides he want to play the game too. Shaggydog of course doesn't understand the rule that you're only allowed to try and shove the 'Lord of Crossing' off the 'bridge' if you say 'mayhaps'!

Archived