Vikings VI: On to Frankia

Buckwheat

Ah damn, haven't watched the latest episode yet. Am I going to end up crying big womanly tears because Athelstan dies?

Ragnars farewell was pretty damn emotional, Travis always delivers, not quite as good as his farewell to Gyda but I really loved this line "You saw yourself as weak and conflicted, but to me you were fearless because you dared to question."

Ah damn, haven't watched the latest episode yet. Am I going to end up crying big womanly tears because Athelstan dies?

Depends on how much you like Athelstan.

Fimmel's acting was bomb, ja. Im really curious to see the emotional fallout with Ragnar later.

Fuck damn, I guess I'm going to have to go ahead and watch the latest episode right this minute because y'all are being so evil and vague and I just need to know if Athelstan is dead. I liked him, but more, I like Ragnar when Athelstan was around. Big womanly tears might ensue soon.

Story telling speculation -- there's NO reason to think this will happen on Vikings, but -- wouldn't it be interesting if Ragnar and Lagertha hatched a plot to kidnap Athelstan's son by Judith, to raise as his own? What a vengeance that would be on Ecbert's destruction of Lagertha's settlement.

Plus we'd have so deviated from the history, regarding Alfred the Great, we'd no longer need to spoil Vikings with our history spoilers. :) :cheers:

Woo, we (meaning me) can think up some stupid stuff on a cold Sunday afternoon on the tail end of March!

Eh, that was sort of a letdown, re Athelstan. I was left knowing he's probably dead, but why couldn't they have showed his actual dead face just so I know?

Ja. But the delicious part about it, was it was Floki who did it. Ive been rooting for it for hella days.

By the way, no one I've seen has mentioned the terrific music that was playing when Floki came to Kattegat with murderous intent. I think that some of those guys that were dancing by the fire were members of Wardruna.

Edit: for anyone wishing to relieve the event (or just close your eyes and listen to the music) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ccyO49T54

By the way, no one I've seen has mentioned the terrific music that was playing when Floki came to Kattegat with murderous intent. I think that some of those guys that were dancing by the fire were members of Wardruna.

His arrival was really well shot as well, great scene

I like to think though Athelstan can't go to Valhalla, because he did not die with a weapon in his hand, Valhalla would still let him visit, and then he could bring Ragnar on a guest visit to heaven.

Because it is officially spring the powers that control our apartment building have evidently decided we don't need any heat -- and the cold is obviously affecting my brain, such as it is. :cheers: Except it's too cold for beer too. :dunno:

I gotta say, I'm really glad everybody's getting out of dodge where nothing is comfortable now and going to Frankia. It feels as though finally this season religious conflict domination has shaken out and Big Stuff is going to happen. Yes, the loss of such an old warrior - companion as Torstein is a Big Thing, as is the death of Siggy, Aslaug's seeking solace with another man than Ragnar, Ragnar refusing to help Lagertha get back Hedeby -- and then allying with the ursurper, the Wessex massacre, Ragnar killing the messenger of the massacre, Athelstan's son being born, the death of Athelstan -- and by the hand of previously trusted best friend and ally Floki -- these are all Really Big Things. But nobody's processed them yet. What we've got are big political and personal messes in Wessex and Kattegat, so I know! Let's go a-viking and forget our troubles in blood and plunder.

Edit: for anyone wishing to relieve the event (or just close your eyes and listen to the music) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ccyO49T54

Yes, yes those were members of Wardruna. The vocals were definitely Einar Selvik and Gaahl in the background. This season's soundtrack is gonna be bamf as all hell.

His arrival was really well shot as well, great scene

Yeah. I love how Floki appears to walk on water and shapeshift. Very cool editing and symbolism.

Zorral, you need a horn of mulled mean, stat!

Yeah. I love how Floki appears to walk on water and shapeshift. Very cool editing and symbolism.

Yes! I felt a bit in awe when the camera turned upwards to grab the raven.

I'm guessing this means that Floki might get away with it? At least for a while, maybe.

So the more I think about it, I think that the "romance" between Athelstan and Judith was meaningless apart from pissing Aethelwulf off.

Judith is not really a deep, developed character. She was introduced as "that girl who is married off for political purposes" and we do not know much about how she feels about that. We know little about her personally apart from her relationship with Athelstan. She does not even have developed relationships with othe characters. Okay, we know she feels awkward about being naked in a bath with her father in law, but that might as well be called being normal. She was first intrigued by Athelstand because she heard he was crucified and survived and then we do not really get to know much more about her reasoning about sleeping with him.

Likewise, we do not know what made Athelstan like Judith so much. What was so special about her that keeping celibate was suddenly no longer an option? Especially because we do not see Athelstan being tempted to break that particular vow at any point before (we hear him speaking about it once, when he talks of Paris, after the Judith thing and it is about the time before he came into contact with Vikings, and it was said partly in joke). Then he suddenly changes his mind, but I do not think it was properly explained how and why the whole thing happened. It is weird that all this time he managed to keep celibate all those years among the Vikings (if we assume he did, because I really do not remember we hear any conversation about this - correct me if I am wrong) and then when he came back to the environment where this was more of a crime, where it could get him and the woman in serious trouble, he suddenly decided "screw it all" and had sex with one of the most bland characters in the show.

The "love story" pretty much consisted of longing looks between them and one confession and one bath and then they were suddenly in bed together. What made them attracted to one another? Why did they not spare one thought about "maybe this is not a good idea because we both can die for it"? What was the purpose of this in the show, apart from getting Aethelwulf angry enough to kill a bunch of innocent people over it (I am sure this could be explained another way too)? They did not really need another "romantic" plot in development in there, they already had enough flirting between Ekbert and Lagertha, and it was more entertaining to watch than Athelstan and Judith. So what I am trying to say, the whole thing feels pretty pointless for now.

So there are a few problems I have with Athelstan's story in this season:

- The plot with Judith. If they thought it was absolutely necessary to give Athelstan a romantic story (and I really do not think it was), then they should at least have given him a more developed partner and a believable plot.

- Turning fully Christian before dying - I guess it had to be done to give Floki a reason to kill him, but it did not feel natural after everything that happened to Athelstan previously

- The weird cloth he was wearing when he died :P - I can appreciate the actor's abs as much as the next person, but at least give him a proper pair of trousers. I guess it had something to do with Christian iconography, but it looked ridiculous :P

- Dying, obviously

Ja. But the delicious part about it, was it was Floki who did it. Ive been rooting for it for hella days.

You are evil. :angry:

I'm guessing this means that Floki might get away with it? At least for a while, maybe.

I really hope not. I want Floki to die on Ragnar's hands ASAP right now.

EDIT: And I really do not wish to watch a show about Athelstan's son fighting against Ragnar's sons. :( I now hope the show does not get that far in the future.

Can't imagine Aella's impressed that his daughter is missing her ear. We'll see how this plays out.

Yeah if only for that I dont get Ecbert's move. Ok, you want to show your a just ruler and pass sentence when necessary. And you wanted her to confess the child is Athelstan's so you can add a religious claim and sign to your reign... BUT, she's the freaking daughter of your strongest ally ! Is it really worth risking a war ?

Archived