Raegar started the rebellion on purpose

myufa

Raegar started the rebellion on purpose. He knew that kidnapping a stark betrothed to a Baratheon would spark just what he needed: a chance oust his father. I'm quite sure Barristan mentions to Dany something that hints at his intent to take the iron thrown(Edd fetch me a quote). Then he could break the rebellion by announcing his marriage to Lyanna. He already has the whole realm against his father's rule so then he can plot his father's death. The only problem is he didn't anticipate Robert declaring himself as King. That forces him to stick to his father's side so that a new empire doesn't accidentally pop up out of his plot.

What do you guys think?

Pretty sure Robert wasn't declared king until after the rebellion. Plus, if he was so interested in ousting his father, why didn't he just do it? No need to start a whole war over it, just have Aerys "accidentally" fall down a really long flight of stairs.

He would need support. His father just casually dying is suspicious when Aerys is beginning to be a big problem but convenient when people go to war against him.

He would need support. His father just casually dying is suspicious when Aerys is beginning to be a big problem but convenient when people go to war against him.

So... he got support by making a crap ton of super powerful enemies? This would have to be the most convoluted rebellion plan ever, defying all logic and tactical concerns. Even if Aerys' death was made out to be suspicious, would anyone actually care? It seems that everyone in KL during Aerys' reign far preferred Rhaegar to him.

I'm just throwing this idea out as for why Raegar kidnapped Lyanna. For me love&prophecy seem a bit unrealistic especially considering these risks. That's why I considered he might have angered them on purpose. And I tried to combine it with his intent of overthrowing his father.

Yeah, no, I agree that both prophecy and love do seem like pretty faulty reasons to run off with a high lord's daughter. But deliberately starting a rebellion to overthrow your father and then sitting on the sidelines for most of it seems fairly insane. But, I dunno. Maybe Rhaegar was insane.

On my own op regarding Rhaegar, someone asked me if I thought Rhaegar was under the influence of Blood Raven. Now, this is something I've never considered before so I will write it here to see what you guys think. Then I'll come back and give credit to the guy who asked me.

It was BaltimoreBloodraven who posed that question about Rhaegar being under BR influence (possibly).

Even insanity sounds unlikely. I don't think GRRM would use the same thing with him as with him dad(sorta). What does a prince who's family's reign is in jeopardy need from a northern lord's daughter who is betrothed to another powerful lord?

Edit: and fire spider where is the evidence for BR's hand? Certainly not warging into him or else the whole story falls apart.

A baby. I think its possible that in one of his stays at Summerhall, Rhaegar came across the wood's witch and was told what he had to do or he found something at Summerhall that made him sure that doing it was the only way to fulfill the prophecy. Other than that, I've got nothing. The man is an enigma to me. A very intriguing, fascinating enigma.

Even insanity sounds unlikely. I don't think GRRM would use the same thing with him as with him dad(sorta). What does a prince who's family's reign is in jeopardy need from a northern lord's daughter who is betrothed to another powerful lord?

Edit: and fire spider where is the evidence for BR's hand? Certainly not warging into him or else the whole story falls apart.

I doubt that he was insane, but I consider it a possibility since we know so little about him. And was his family reign in jeopardy? I've seen theories about some sort of alliance between several high lords and Rhaegar as they plotted to overthrow Aerys and replace him with Rhaegar. But that doesn't throw the whole family line into question, just gets rid of a bad apple.

I doubt that he was insane, but I consider it a possibility since we know so little about him. And was his family reign in jeopardy? I've seen theories about some sort of alliance between several high lords and Rhaegar as they plotted to overthrow Aerys and replace him with Rhaegar. But that doesn't throw the whole family line into question, just gets rid of a bad apple.

What I meant was people already hated Aerys and wanted him out. And can you link one of these theories?

What I meant was people already hated Aerys and wanted him out. And can you link one of these theories?

They're pretty widely discussed, but a quick google search found me this: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1gyckw/spoilers_all_aerys_was_sort_of_right_the_tragedy/

Edit: I don't necessarily agree with the entirety of this particular argument, but it's basically the bare bones of what's popularly theorized.

Raegar started the rebellion on purpose. He knew that kidnapping a stark betrothed to a Baratheon would spark just what he needed: a chance oust his father. I'm quite sure Barristan mentions to Dany something that hints at his intent to take the iron thrown(Edd fetch me a quote). Then he could break the rebellion by announcing his marriage to Lyanna. He already has the whole realm against his father's rule so then he can plot his father's death. The only problem is he didn't anticipate Robert declaring himself as King. That forces him to stick to his father's side so that a new empire doesn't accidentally pop up out of his plot.

What do you guys think?

He's going to start a rebellion by kidnapping a betrothed girl, and then end it by marrying her? I doubt both Brandon, Oberyn and Robert would be happy with that.

Archived