[SPOILERS] Black Sails - Season 4 on the Horizon.

Arkash

I have shitty Comcast so I can't do that. Oh well.

I don't know which other shows are in competition with Black Sails but I'd be hard pressed to think of a better show at the moment. Especially if you are liking it from the get go!

I'm missing this show already.

I'm slightly cursing it too as I was really underwhelmed by the GOT season premier. I think it's because Black Sails is making for a harsh comparison. I probably need to cleanse my palette with some "arrow/Gotham" before trying other shows I usually enjoy,

In case it's a pirate fix I now need does anyone here have anything to say about "Crossbones"? I haven't seen it yet but it may be worth a look when cold turkey kicks in?

I'm slightly cursing it too as I was really underwhelmed by the GOT season premier. I think it's because Black Sails is making for a harsh comparison. I probably need to cleanse my palette with some "arrow/Gotham" before trying other shows I usually enjoy,

If you had told me that I'd trade a season of GoT or any other "top class" cable show for Black Sails when I first heard of it I'd laugh at you, then pity you. I'm not even sure why at this point. Maybe I just thought that pirates were cheesy.

But I honestly would rather have more Black Sails than just about anything right now.

I don't know which other shows are in competition with Black Sails but I'd be hard pressed to think of a better show at the moment. Especially if you are liking it from the get go!

In case it's a pirate fix I now need does anyone here have anything to say about "Crossbones"? I haven't seen it yet but it may be worth a look when cold turkey kicks in?

I watched Crossbones. It got canceled so there's only 1 Season. It doesn't really compare to Black Sails at all. It is very average, but watch a couple episodes and go from there.

If you had told me that I'd trade a season of GoT or any other "top class" cable show for Black Sails when I first heard of it I'd laugh at you, then pity you. I'm not even sure why at this point. Maybe I just thought that pirates were cheesy.

But I honestly would rather have more Black Sails than just about anything right now.

Deadwood and Rome are the only extinct shows I can think of. I'd miss Hannibal but would still take more Black Sails as of this moment.

I think Pirates of the Caribean (and Johnny Depp in particular) has a lot to answer for in terms of pirates losing their edge.

I watched Crossbones. It got canceled so there's only 1 Season. It doesn't really compare to Black Sails at all. It is very average, but watch a couple episodes and go from there.

Crossbones is just plain bad. I couldn't even watch it, out of embarrassment.

• 1 month later...

I come late to this party. I don't have Starz, but I just finished binge watching season 2 on Amazon.

Holy focking shite!!! What a season!!! I couldn't stop watching, which made me glad that I could watch it all at once. I almost skipped a day of work for this.

Season 1 was pretty slow in the first half, but it picked up nicely in the second half. This one was a roller-coaster ride. I love these characters, especially Flint, Silver, Vane, and Billy. I even like Eleanor, who is how Cersei should have been portrayed on GoT.

There were moments when my blood boiled, and I couldn't go to sleep, like when that psycho Ned Low did that butchery in the tavern. I cheered when Vane gave him what he deserved, though I did expect a longer run from him. And that's just one of so many twists and turns. I don't think I've seen so many in a show, and all so well written, and choreographed.

There were moments when I was on my feet, like the brief fight between Billy and Vane. I didn't want to see either of them dead.

I also like many of the minor characters, like that badass Japanese guy. I doubt anyone can stand in a one-on-one sword fight with him. I feel sad when one of Flint's crew goes to Davy Jones, but at the same time, you gotta be realistic about this.

I was totally shocked about Miranda's death, but that guy did warn her, which brings me to the fact that no death in this show has actually been only for shock value. There are reasons and consequences, unlike in another show I've already named.

And what a badass finale!

I am debating now if I should get Starz, (also because of Outlander) though it will cost me another $20 to upgrade my package, and I'm not the type of guy who keeps calling to get a premium channel, then cancels a couple of months later. I have started experimenting with simply waiting for shows to become available on Amazon. (Damn you Starz for splitting Outlander in two!!!)

If I can bare the wait, I may end up cutting the cable cord all together, and each month I'll buy a show I care to watch.

And Ray Stevenson as Edward Teach next season. Fuck yeah!!!

You could always just order Starz for Black Sails and then cancel as soon as the season is over. That is a bit more difficult with Outlander since the seasons are split. I can't remember off the top of my head whether the entire first half of the season was available on Starz in Demand when the second half of the season started. I've also heard of some subscribers ordering the day of the show and canceling as soon as the episode finished. I'm skeptical of the possibility though. How much does it cost on Amazon?

Yeah, I'm missing Black Sails too. The second season was extremely entertaining.

You could always just order Starz for Black Sails and then cancel as soon as the season is over. That is a bit more difficult with Outlander since the seasons are split. I can't remember off the top of my head whether the entire first half of the season was available on Starz in Demand when the second half of the season started. I've also heard of some subscribers ordering the day of the show and canceling as soon as the episode finished. I'm skeptical of the possibility though. How much does it cost on Amazon?

Yeah, I'm missing Black Sails too. The second season was extremely entertaining.

Like I said, I don't like to do that call to get it, then call to cancel thing. Season 2 cost me $25, which in the grand schemes of things saved me money, as I would have to keep Starz for at least two months during the time it airs. Season 1 was under $20, same for the first 8 episodes of Outlander.

If you don't mind waiting for it to hit Amazon, just get it from them. Cable is so expensive. I hope more of the premium channels follow HBO to a separate service or package with them. I hate how cable providers transfer that bundled nonsense content to the customers.

• 2 months later...
Wow, that's crazy that they renewed before season 3 even started. I'm not mad though, I absolutely love this show. I'm thinking I might try to hold off on season 3 so I can binge watch it. I will probably fail though.

Downton Abbey might out-period it.

Though I preferred the rich lady from Downton as a wizardess.

They mustn't come out with more Black Sails because we just dumped Starz so that would be wrong for the show to go on without me.  It would be all those words that senators use, like "unconscionable" and "imprudent at this juncture."   (begins kicking self now)

Great news! Thanks, Veltigar.

I used all my cloud with the Starz big shots to make this happen :P

Wow, that's crazy that they renewed before season 3 even started. I'm not mad though, I absolutely love this show. I'm thinking I might try to hold off on season 3 so I can binge watch it. I will probably fail though.

You won't have the pleasure of discussing it with us if you binge watch :p That's got to count for something ;)

They did it with season 2 too.

The Starz CEO (the guy from the good old HBO) loves it.

Great - takes the pressure off cast and crew for season 3 so they can get hard to work on 4. I'm hoping it means they've seen rough cuts of season 3 and it's that good.

Looks like we may have to wait for Ian Mcshane appearing now :(

Archived