Who would be Jon's dragon?

LadyStoneHearte

I wonder if one of the dragon riders will die, Arya will steal their face after they are gone and it would make the opening for her to get on the dragon, and then through her skinchanging, she would connect with it to ride it after initially rejecting her.

Rhaegal is Jons dragon, as he is Rhaegals son IMO and Rhaegal + JS = and articulation of Rhaegars intentions

Viserion will go to Aegon, whether he is a Targ or a Blackfyre. Either way Aegon is an articulation of Viserys dream of the Dragons re-taking the Iron Throne

Drogon is with Dany of course, Dany won't go back to Westeros to re-take the IT IMO, she will stay in Essos and in conjunction with Drogon resurrect Valyria and perhaps even some deeper stuff in the east re the new Amethyst Princess etc etc and pretty much articulate whatever the fate of Rhaego was and at the very least put Qarth to the torch. I kind of wonder if some weird time thing has occurred with Rhaego and he will come back in grown up form, we never saw his body and there is more to what happened in MMD tent than has been revealed

Anyway that's off-topic, makes sense for Jon to have Rheagal (Rhaegar) and Ghost (Lyanna), just as Arya has Nymeria (Ned) and Cat (of the Canals - After Catelyn of the Riverlands). Bran has Summer and Hodor (lol). I wonder if Rickon will have any Unicorns lol as well as Shaggydog and I wonder if Sansa starts warging Bats (Littlefinger/Harrenhall) or Hounds although Sandor is probably the literal replacement for Lady so no literal dog will take his place

No Dragon for Jon. He has a direwolf. No need for both. He is too much a part of his wolf to have a dragon. I imagine that a dragon needs a full commitment from its rider.

Oh, he'll get the wolf, and the dragon, and the bitchin car, and the girl, you know, the resl hot cheerleader, and the sword, and the other sword...

I think it is Drogon. He is black to Ghost's white, the yin to his yang so to speak. Also, if JOn were to mount a dragon, I think GRRM would want to leave the reader with the impression that Jon would be about to get himself killed. Does Jon know dragons can only be bonded to one rider at a time? Also, his skinchanging would come in handy.

Isn't his ultra special huge albino Direwolf enough?

So Dany can have three dragons, but Jon having just one dragon and one direwolf is too much?

I think it is Drogon. He is black to Ghost's white, the yin to his yang so to speak. Also, if JOn were to mount a dragon, I think GRRM would want to leave the reader with the impression that Jon would be about to get himself killed. Does Jon know dragons can only be bonded to one rider at a time? Also, his skinchanging would come in handy.

So Dany can have three dragons, but Jon having just one dragon and one direwolf is too much?

There are 2 perfectly good dragons that need riders, wanting him to have the biggest one reeks of fanboyism. Especially when it doesn't make sense.

No one here said that Daenerys will ride all three dragons, or that they are all "hers" apart from them looking to her as mother. If she can only control Drogon, then she in essence has one dragon. The problem many Dany fans have with the idea of Drogon/Jon is that he would have to steal him from her and there's been too much build up to how Daenerys is bonded to Drogon to seriously consider that is for naught. Jon has a white wolf, so why not an off-white dragon?

There are 2 perfectly good dragons that need riders, wanting him to have the biggest one reeks of fanboyism. Especially when it doesn't make sense.

Very true.

Daenerys has the biggest dragon because, well, she is the biggest "Dragon" in the series. She's the one influencing events around the world, she's the one who actually brought dragons back into the world, and she's the last known Targaryen and so much of her story is centered around that.

If Jon gets to ride a dragon, I would think it would be Viserion. He has Ghost's colors and his name sounds like a mix of the name Jon was supposed to have (Visenya) and the one he ended up getting. (There is no J in Latin!)

On the color theme, I just wanted to say that cream has no relation to white more than any other color of a light shade. White (just like black) have a very specific attribute in regards to other colors both in their physical (prismatic) aspect and in the way we perceive them.

Moreover, IF (a big if - I seriously don't like the idea of dragonriding Jon) any of the three has the slightest connection to Jon, that would be Rhaegal, his name alluding to Jon's biological father. Viserion is totally unrelated too: cream and gold, and named after Viserys..., somehow pointing to Jon, really?

ETA: why do I have the feeling that this talk about the "biggest dragon" is so much a male issue?

Rhaegal torched Quentyn. He seems to be more hotblooded (npi) than Drogon, who has been already been tamed by Dany. I think taming and bonding Rhaegal will be THE test to prove someone's Targaryenism, at least for us the readers.

Also, let's not forget that, while Rhaegar seemed to have been quiet and calm mostly of the time, according to Jaime, his voice had iron tones. There was strength inside Rhaegar. Rhaegal only reacted when he saw his brother in danger.

OTOH, Viserion seems a bit more docile.

She only 'has' one.

Drogon.

ETA: why do I have the feeling that this talk about the "biggest dragon" is so much a male issue?

Err... one person referenced Drogon being Dany's because she's the biggest figurative dragon. That's a bit of an uncalled for use of a stereotype.

Err... one person referenced Drogon being Dany's because she's the biggest figurative dragon. That's a bit of an uncalled for use of a stereotype.

You may be right about this thread; this is an impression I've got by having seen this conversation before.

So, I apologise if I have offended anyone, but the impression remains.

When its statements like "Jon should have the biggest dragon," I agree it does seem like there are some phallic undertones involved.

With Daenerys that could still be true, but in my mind its more about her being a "powerhouse" character, for lack of a better term. Her story really builds on her family background, so it makes sense that she would ride the most intimidating dragon. Drogon could easily have been written as the runt or just the same size as the others but he's the largest and the fiercest at the moment and specifically compared to Balerion just as Dany is compared to Aegon I.

When its statements like "Jon should have the biggest dragon," I agree it does seem like there are some phallic undertones involved.

With Daenerys that could still be true, but in my mind its more about her being a "powerhouse" character, for lack of a better term. Her story really builds on her family background, so it makes sense that she would ride the most intimidating dragon. Drogon could easily have been written as the runt or just the same size as the others but he's the largest and the fiercest at the moment and specifically compared to Balerion just as Dany is compared to Aegon I.

I hope you know that I didn't mean anything bad about your post specifically :)

But IMO, it doesn't really matter at all, until the story reaches a point where dragons & their respective riders end up against each other (and even then, a lot depends on who the rider is, as Aemond vs Daemon & dragons one-to-one story teaches us).

I mean, placed against a dragon no one is going to say, "thanks god it's Viserion, we'd be totally screwed if it was Drogon". Unless they ride Rhaegal, that is, and even then they might be wrong.

In my opinion it is actually the other way around, Drogon growing bigger than the others because he has already bonded with Dany, mirroring what is said for Targ kids growing stronger as an effect of bonding with their dragon.

To be entirely frank, however, the dragon size discussion more often than not takes the form of "my character's dragon is/will be bigger than yours" and yes, it does include those who "argue" from Jon's alleged side too.

Archived