Who, or what, is the dragon?

ummester

I see there is a bit of discussion on the 3 heads of the dragon lately. As prophesied to Dany, 'the dragon must have 3 heads'. There is a lot of focus on the 3 heads, with most considering they are 3 characters - but who, or what, is this dragon?

Is the dragon a dragon? A person? An event? A race of people?

The prophecy could mean the Targaryen dynasty needs 3 heads to survive. It could mean dragons are always rebirthed into the world in 3's. It could mean a certain event requires 3 heads, or fronts. It could just mean that, in ASoIaF, things generally come in 3's.

If the dragon is a person, I think I lean most towards Bloodraven. But it could be Aerys, Raeghar, or Dany. If it is a person, I would say it should be a Targ. But, if it is a person, then surley that person must be excluded from the 3 heads?

So what is the general consensus? Forgetting the 3 heads, what is the dragon?

A Philosophy...a way of ruling that has lost it's meaning throughout the course of events/time. The Dragon is a flying beast. The Dragon is the unnatural beings that control them (Valyrians). The Dragon is a way of ruling.

Wake the Dragon.

it's a misinterpreted prophecy. Rhaegar misunderstood The Ghost Of High Heart when he played his harp for her at Summerhall. And caused all this, and endless Rhaegar threads that clutter the forum with pointless mental exercise.

A Philosophy...a way of ruling that has lost it's meaning throughout the course of events/time. The Dragon is a flying beast. The Dragon is the unnatural beings that control them (Valyrians). The Dragon is a way of ruling.

Wake the Dragon.

So you think it might be based on the original 3 dragonriders that went into Westeros? A type of rule established by them?

Or older still?

Could it possibly be even older than Valyrian culture, considering there were 'dragons all over once'?

lol cant, government computer.

Thanks, Obama

Awww...it was a picture of archer.

[Top of picture] "Do you want to wake the dragon"

[Picture of Archer staring right at you]

[bottom of picture] "Because that's how you wake the dragon"

Thanks Obama...

Now take me off the Government Watch List.

Awww...it was a picture of archer.

[Top of picture] "Do you want to wake the dragon"

[Picture of Archer staring right at you]

[bottom of picture] "Because that's how you wake the dragon"

Thanks Obama...

Now take me off the Government Watch List.

and put some pants on, for crying out loud

Definitely pro-Robert.

Obviously

So you think it might be based on the original 3 dragonriders that went into Westeros? A type of rule established by them?

Or older still?

Could it possibly be even older than Valyrian culture, considering there were 'dragons all over once'?

Serious answer based on how I think GRRM is meaning it. Based on the original three Dragonriders...the type of rule. Aegon was King but he listened to his sisters...even got protection from them. Ruling shouldn't be done by one person with a closed mind...but with an open mind.

What I want it to be about? Older than Valyria...at the birth of the 14 flames...when the Others were forced off their land by this new race of beings that fought with Dragon-glass and worshiped the sun. The Others had to abandon their lands, thrones of oily black stones and retreat north. The Dragon was the unnatural being created by several races (CotF, Man, mermen) to fight the Others...they also created their own slaves (Valyrians) to be the Dragon masters...but that backfired really bad. Until it didn't.

Obviously

Serious answer based on how I think GRRM is meaning it. Based on the original three Dragonriders...the type of rule. Aegon was King but he listened to his sisters...even got protection from them. Ruling shouldn't be done by one person with a closed mind...but with an open mind.

What I want it to be about? Older than Valyria...at the birth of the 14 flames...when the Others were forced off their land by this new race of beings that fought with Dragon-glass and worshiped the sun. The Others had to abandon their lands, thrones of oily black stones and retreat north. The Dragon was the unnatural being created by several races (CotF, Man, mermen) to fight the Others...they also created their own slaves (Valyrians) to be the Dragon masters...but that backfired really bad. Until it didn't.

yes, the first interpretation seems to make the most sense.

The second would suggest that, in ASoIaF, there are 3 sides to every war. There could literally be 3 sides to every story in ASoIaF :D

I think it might be open for interpretation. I don't know that there is a single meaning behind it.

If the dragon is open to interpretation, then it would follow that the 3 heads also are, wouldn't it?

I feel like "The Dragon" is the Targaryen identity. It is the House itself, it is the idea. It is the blood of the Targaryens. It just is Targaryen.

This would tie in with the way of thinking being established with Aegon and his sisters - the dragon is based on them, the Valyreans that survived and made it to Westeros. I think that makes the most sense as to how the general modern idea of The Dragon was established in ASoIaF.

Archived