April 2015 Reads

TheRevanchist

I am wrapping up A Game of Thrones and should be done this week. Then I've got Hitchhiker's Guide to read for my book club on Saturday. I have a bunch of children's literature for my children's literature class to do as well. I've also got a ton of review copies to get through, yikes. My only real ambition for the month is to get through Clash of Kings and hopefully well into Storm of Swords.

I just finished Hawkwood's Voyage, by Paul Kearney. Despite its taking some time to get moving (after a strong start), I enjoyed it and am going to start the next book, The Heretic Kings, immediately. I can't say that I'm particularly attached to any of the characters (yet), but I'm still eager to find out what happens next.

Thanks to the folks around here who recommended Kearney.

A little more than half way through The Tyrant's Law. Really enjoying it, but since the series won't be complete for another year, I think I'm going to wait on book 4 after I'm done and instead get started on The Long Price Quartet.

I have started a long overdue reread of The Unfortunate Fursey by Mervyn Wall. It's still pretty funny: the story of a monk, whose speech impediment prevents him from saying the right prayers to drive away devils, demons, witches etc. etc. This makes him quite an attraction for them and for every other nutcase or psychopath of medieval Ireland.

Almost finished with Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris. It started off fairly slowly in comparison to her other books, but it definitely picked up around the middle. I'm a big fan of her work, so I'm really excited for the next book to come out.

Up next, I have another review book - Edwin, High King of Britain by Edoardo Albert.

I am about halfway through the final book in the Rigante series by David Gemmell, Stormrider. It is a step down from the previous book due to the strong military feel which I am not a fan of. In addition, the sudden presence of strong and overt magic seemed like it came out of nowhere and that jarred me.

Just finished a dance with dragons again.

Kingdom of illusions,which is an alternative perspective on the true life account of Warren fellows's 'The Damage Done' set amidst heroin smuggling and the barbaric Thai prison system.

Also just finished 'the long walk' another true life account,this one is about a group of European political prisoners who escape a Soviet gulag in Siberia and plan a 4000 mile treck to freedom.the inspiration for the movie ' the way back'.

This book at times strangely fits very close to grrm's stannis in the snow chapters at times.

I finished The Blade Itself last month, about halfway through Before they are Hanged and really enjoying it.

Abercrombie writes PoV sections very well and in honesty reading the First Law I have probably laughed more than anything else I have read (admittedly Pratchett and Adams are on my to-read list).

I feel like Before they are Hanged is improving over The Blade Itself as it opens up more of the "magic" of the world. If the series continues to improve or even holds to the same level of quality then this is definitely a top tier series for me.

For my standards, I'm fairly busy book-wise.

I finished the second and third Hitchiker book (very funny, but a little less with each part), and the third volume of Fullmetal Alchemist, which was fun (would've been 'great' if this was the first time I experienced the story). I've started Saga: Volume Four (yay! Great so far), Salem's Lot by Stephen King (the first vampire story I've ever read).

I've also started The Case 40/61 by Harry Mulisch for school. It's an eyewitness report of the trial of Adolf Eichmann, and talks about the horrors committed during WW2. I'm curious, especially since my mom (who has read it once, and tried twice) said she'd nearly had to vomit because of the descriptions of what happened to children in concentration camps.

Finished the first Poldark book at the end of last month. Very enjoyable, but since there seem to be so many books in the series I think I'll have a bit of a break before moving onto the next. Had a few days break from reading anything to get some Uni work done, and now I'm starting off April with The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan. Hope I enjoy it, as I've been looking forward to reading it for a while now.

A little more than half way through The Tyrant's Law. Really enjoying it, but since the series won't be complete for another year, I think I'm going to wait on book 4 after I'm done and instead get started on The Long Price Quartet.

I finished Tyrant's Law maybe two weeks ago. I had planned to hold off on reading Widow's House. I read one book in between, and then couldn't resist. Really enjoying the series, going to finish book 4 tonight.

Archived