April 2015 Reads

TheRevanchist

Finished Salem's Lot. The build-up is verrry slow and gradual, but in a good way. It was the first vampire book I've ever read and while I didn't think it was that scary, it was definitely creepy and tense. Good book.

Now starting my long-awaited return to Robin Hobb with Assassin's Quest. I'm stoked for this one after the terrific second book and it's great so far.

Also reading the novella Rage by Stephen King, about a student who acquires his father's gun and pays his school a visit. Very interesting subject for me, it's good so far.

And last is The Case 40/61, about the trial of Adolf Eichmann. 50% uninteresting side info, 50% interesting stuff about the actual trial and the horrors that resulted from Eichmann's actions.

I loved Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I don't like military fantasy, but this was more about how war changes people, of life and death, and of friendships that only develop when you survive a battle.

I also finished Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi. Having never read any Scalzi novel before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I loved it. I'm not a fan of law or court room dramas, but I thought it was fantastic.

I love it when I'm on a roll with excellent books!

Up next is a non fiction book by Tom Standage, Writing on the Wall.

I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on this. I'm intrigued and was planning on picking it up after my latest re-read of ASOIAF (I'm about 1/2 way through Feast now - I love me some Brienne :) )

I've been away at the weekend and didn't get much reading done. But so far, 20%, I find I'm really enjoying it.

Finished Destroyer. It was a nice change of pace to return back to the world after the previous book gallivanted about in space. I was going to switch back to Dagger and Coin, but I decided to get the next Foreigner book (Pretender) instead.

I'm slowly reading Grace of Kings and When the Heavens Fall. Not particularly far into either, but Liu's is only moderately enjoyable, with a lot of telling going on and the omniscient narrator makes it seem very detached and impersonal. Marc Turner's is pretty good, very high fantasy with necromancers, elementals, undead, and more, and it's more enjoyable than the former.

Having an issue lately where I want to read, but when I sit down to do it I can't read for an extended period and just end up either playing video games or doing mindless things on my computer. And it sucks, because I have a lot of new and upcoming books on my desk waiting to be read.

Definitely take a break, they're good for about one every six months. I never thought Uthred was that similar to Derfel though, mostly because he's so much more of an asshole.

Thirded.

About ten years ago, I picked up 3 of the Sharpe series as there was a '3 for 2' offer in the bookshop. Reading at least 2 of them back to back (maybe all 3), highlighted that reading them like that there was some repetition of themes. I just decided to make sure I leave a suitable gap, and continue to enjoy Cornwell's novels, though there is still an element of 'sameness'.

I finished The Buried Giant Saturday . Wonderful book. I felt as though I was in a fugue state the entire time , very atmospheric and other-wordly.

Then I read Funny Girl by Nick Hornby. Normally adore his stuff, but this one left me a little cold. I didn't get the sense of a story being told as much as just a recitation of events. I might have been more critical than usual coming off of The Buried Giant though.

Melanie

Having seen somebody comment about reading the Black Company books earlier in the thread - does anybody know where I can buy the Books of the South/Glittering Stone? I could only find Books of the North on Amazon - absolutely loved it and wanted more...

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Black-Company-Chronicles/dp/0765324008/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1429567508&sr=8-4&keywords=black+company

http://www.amazon.com/Many-Deaths-Black-Company-Chronicles/dp/0765324016/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1429567542&sr=8-5&keywords=black+company

Archived