Marvel Unlimited

MisterOJ

So here's the deal, I'm an old comics nerd who hasn't read any comics in close to 15 years. Back in the day (from about 1988-2001) I read tons of comics, and still have most of them securely boxed away in my attic.

I've toyed with the idea off and on for years about getting back in, but I've never really had the time or energy to devote to getting caught up. But now I see this Marvel Unlimited service and that sounds like it could be just the thing for someone like me. FWIW, I was always much more of a Marvel person than DC. I read a few DC books off and on, but I'd say 80 percent of the comics I read and own are Marvel.

So... Marvel Unlimited; is it worth it? And if so, where should I start?

And another question I just thought of...

If I sign up for the service, can you use it from multiple devices? Like, can I read a comic on my tablet while my daughter is also reading a different comic on her tablet?

I'm not currently subscribed, so the information is about 6 months out of date.

It's obviously a pretty good deal financially. It's not Marvel's complete back catalogue, and there are even some books that are only available for purchase through their regular store (though I think there are also titles you'll only find in the Unlimited library), but there is a lot to read there, tjhough I'd never been into comics, so basically everything on offer was new to me.

I remember being annoyed with the lack of stability the app displayed on my Android tablet, though they might have fixed that by now. I don't see why it shouldn't work on more than one device, but you are limited to putting 12 issues in your "read offline" library, everything else you have to stream, requiring an active connection. The app also often seemed to lose sync with the server for no discernible reason, resulting in it only loading previews (i.e. the first three pages) instead of full issues.

While those are problems I don't think a company like Marvel should allow in their software, it's also undeniably a ridiculously cheap way to read lots and lots of comics, so I put up with it for a few months, until I didn't feel there was much stuff I really wanted to read any more.

I'd suggest picking up a one month subscription to see how you like it, and if you're sure you want to stick with it for the long run go with the yearly model, since that will obviously save you money in the long run.

I stopped reading comics over a decade ago, but I've kept tabs on some of the major storylines. There is a huge crossover going on this summer that looks like it will reboot the Marvel Universe. My guess, no more.

It might make sense to jump back in post-Battleworld/Secret Wars.

Archived