Brienne of Tarth Importance

OceanRunner

Ok, gotta ask: I love Brienne and her storylines as well as reading her POVs but whats her importance to the series? I feel that you could take her character out after her returning Jamie and the story woukd go on unless she's needed for some important roll. I know she's going after Sansa but could you take her out and not rupture the story of asoiaf?

At base level I believe she was created because GRRM had too much for Jaime to do and wasn't going to fit it in. He couldn't have Jaime both becoming Tywin Lannister and looking for Sansa and so he split Brienne from Jaime and gave her the searching for Sansa role. There's no mention or even any allusion to Brienne in AGOT, her character arc is essentially Jaime's pre-Aerys, her Aerys is her leading Jaime to Stoneheart, a dishonourable deed done under difficult circumstances and ultimately for a greater good. Both swore oaths to Catelyn, and their journeys intertwine, GRRM pulls them together when he needs to, Brienne is like an extension of Jaime's will as she searches for Sansa.

What her greater role will end up being? Well her womb seems conspicuously primed to be Jaime's legacy carrier, but she will become one of the finest knights in the realm, defending Sansa's honour in her trial of Seven, becoming a KG member and probably outliving Jaime in the war for the Dawn.

She isn't merely a McGuffen there as a plot device for a single purpose. But I think her two main impacts on the story are:
1. Influence on Jaime. Jaime couldn't reconcile his oaths to protect the innocent and obey the King and thus had given up on being a good knight. Whereas Brienne who was never knighted acted as a proper knight and was a shining example to Jaime.

2. World building. Her journey through the Crownlands and Riverlands introduced a lot of history, geography, characters etc. We get The Quiet Isle, Duskendale, Septon Meribald, The Gravedigger (if you spotted him) et al.

This could well have been achieve rather more efficently with fewer Red Herrings but still...

And this is before we get to LSH and BWB. There is still plenty of potential left in Brienne as a character.

She isn't merely a McGuffen there as a plot device for a single purpose. But I think her two main impacts on the story are:

1. Influence on Jaime. Jaime couldn't reconcile his oaths to protect the innocent and obey the King and thus had given up on being a good knight. Whereas Brienne who was never knighted acted as a proper knight and was a shining example to Jaime.

2. World building. Her journey through the Crownlands and Riverlands introduced a lot of history, geography, characters etc. We get The Quiet Isle, Duskendale, Septon Meribald, The Gravedigger (if you spotted him) et al.

This could well have been achieve rather more efficently with fewer Red Herrings but still...

And this is before we get to LSH and BWB. There is still plenty of potential left in Brienne as a character.

I agree, Brienne has a huge part to play and she is an example for Jaime, she is everything he wanted to be. A female Arthur Dayne as it were. I'm sure by the end of the books she will be an even bigger hero than she is now.

No,she's important. She helped Jaime with his inner change,plus her journey was instrumental to introduce new characters and places.

Brienne has a lot of potential,personally I'd like her at the helm of Dany's Queensguard,after Barristan's death.

Brienne as an extension of the Jamie arc makes sense to me. I find her to be a critical character as she is truly honorable like so few are.

She is very unique in that she has incredible honor and integrity, great loyalty and sincerity as well as genuine skill and strength in combat. And now she is armed and armored with great equipment. Despite all that promising stuff, she is very naive and has plenty of learning to do. Maybe she will even learn to forsake some honor to survive when required.

She can learn some wisdom and tactics from Jamie about survival and getting results. Jamie can see someone who is truly what the Kingsguard is meant to be and learn to be how he should have been all along. .

Side note, I'm a believer of the Ser Duncan heritage. As in, Brienne is a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall. Anyone else?

Brienne as an extension of the Jamie arc makes sense to me. I find her to be a critical character as she is truly honorable like so few are.

She is very unique in that she has incredible honor and integrity, great loyalty and sincerity as well as genuine skill and strength in combat. And now she is armed and armored with great equipment. Despite all that promising stuff, she is very naive and has plenty of learning to do. Maybe she will even learn to forsake some honor to survive when required.

She can learn some wisdom and tactics from Jamie about survival and getting results. Jamie can see someone who is truly what the Kingsguard is meant to be and learn to be how he should have been all along. .

Side note, I'm a believer of the Ser Duncan heritage. As in, Brienne is a descendant of Ser Duncan the Tall. Anyone else?

I actually like that theory. I'm not 100% sold,but I like it.

The story line talks of about four "magical swords" as well as a number of Valyrian blades.

We have Dawn to be wielded by Sword of the Morning - A Dayne

We have Light Bringer (which may be Dawn from the name)

We have ice - the original, to be wielded by a Stark

We have Just Maid - an honourable Knight - i think this is Brienne

Read the Astronomy of Planetos threads by Lucifer means Lightbringer. It's possible Brienne has some role to play in the whole Azor Ahai mythology. I won't go into the whole spiel, but consider this:

- AA wielded a magic sword called Lightbringer.

- The hereditary title of the Lord of Tarth is the Evenstar.

- Brienne is the heir to Tarth.

- Lightbringer and Evenstar were both names for Venus in antiquity.

- Brienne wields a magic sword (I won't dive into the symbolism that equates the forging of Oathkeeper to Lightbringer).

All credit to this theory goes to LML and contributors to the Astronomy threads.

Archived