Just how controversial was the Sansa chapter?

I love how this chapter was the one lauded as controversial, not the one where the 11 year old girl is groped by a perv and seduces and makes out with a much older sleazeball. Oh, and the word "rape" appears in every other sentence

Some are claiming Ran confirmed it was. :dunno:

False advertising if you ask me. Its not so much controversial, just Sansa proving shes not a weak little wet shit. If thats supposed to be controversial, i question judgment here.

so Sansa being strong and manipulative is "controversial".

Well to each is own I suppose.

LMAO right?

This chapter was very meh for me. Maybe because I'm not invested on her or because I don't see her being the ONE LAST FEMALE HERO of the story as many others, but... whatever. It's not like Sansa hasn't been smarter before (saving Dontos) and haven't yet learned how seduction can work (incredibly, learned that from Sandor, when he told her to look pretty for Joffrey). So... to each their own, indeed :dunno:

I love how this chapter was the one lauded as controversial, not the one where the 11 year old girl is groped by a perv and seduces and makes out with a much older sleazeball. Oh, and the word "rape" appears in every other sentence

That I can't yet even...

I think it was supposed to be more controversial to what our perception of her character has been up to this point. She started out the series as a pretty weak little girl, then had her dreams and ideas about life shattered by the real world, and then found her own breed of strength by biding her time and doing what she had to to survive in KL. And now, in this sample chapter, all of a sudden she's acting more like what we could expect from Cersei (though not to the same degree of sexuality). I found it quite interesting and a great development for her character.

This chapter was very meh for me. Maybe because I'm not invested on her or because I don't see her being the ONE LAST FEMALE HERO of the story as many others, but... whatever. It's not like Sansa hasn't been smarter before (saving Dontos) and haven't yet learned how seduction can work (incredibly, learned that from Sandor, when he told her to look pretty for Joffrey). So... to each their own, indeed :dunno:

That I can't yet even...

Same for me. It was ok I guess, but definitely the weakest of all the sample chapters.

Elio said on twitter yesterday that they read the Mercy chapter long after the Sansa chapter. So it's not so much that they thought it was less controversial than this one, just that they likely hadn't read it at the time of the Vulture interview. Of course, in hindsight I don't understand why no one asked them to rank the chapters in context of how controversial they thought they were. Though I think the different levels of fanaticism of the girls's fanbases probably played a role as well.

pretty idem in my opinion. Sansa rediscovered that men found her pretty, LF was into shady food business, Sweetrobin was the bitch he's always been and Harry turned to be the douche I expected... nothing new.

As for the controversial I don't see it, but be sure that before the month is done, someone will have posted a crazy-ass offshoot theory of how there are clues in this chapter that point out to Sansa becoming AA, the launch of Half-Life 3, and Jesus' second coming.

pretty idem in my opinion. Sansa rediscovered that men found her pretty, LF was into shady food business, Sweetrobin was the bitch he's always been and Harry turned to be the douche I expected... nothing new.

As for the controversial I don't see it, but be sure that before the month is done, someone will have posted a crazy-ass offshoot theory of how there are clues in this chapter that point out to Sansa becoming AA, the launch of Half-Life 3, and Jesus' second coming.

Fallout 4

Elio said on twitter yesterday that they read the Mercy chapter long after the Sansa chapter. So it's not so much that they thought it was less controversial than this one, just that they likely hadn't read it at the time of the Vulture interview. Of course, in hindsight I don't understand why no one asked them to rank the chapters in context of how controversial they thought they were. Though I think the different levels of fanaticism of the girls's fanbases probably played a role as well.

So this chapter is old as balls is what you're saying

Same for me. It was ok I guess, but definitely the weakest of all the sample chapters.

It was ok. for all the info revealed about the Vale. Nothing Sansa has done has so far impressed me as many as her fans are impressed, tbh :dunno: She has been learning how to survive since KL. The difference here is that she doesn't fear for her life THAT much.

It wasn't a bad chapter at all, but a bit underwhelming as far as what you'd expect from a preview, especially one that was supposed to be controversial. I read the last few lines expecting something terrible to happen and it was just all very middle of the road.

So this chapter is old as balls is what you're saying

No, Mercy's the one that's old as balls since it was originally Arya's first chapter post time skip. This chapter was the one that was finalized in 2008 and moved from ADWD in 2010 iirc. Though now I can't help but wonder what Sansa's original first chapter post the time skip was, and why GRRM shared the Alayne chapter with them but not Mercy.

Nothing Sansa has done has so far impressed me as many as her fans are impressed, tbh

If anything it says that most of the things they were impressed by are BS. She hasn't changed or gown or learned at all. She clearly trusts Littlefinger completely and views him as friend and confidant. Once again she is back in the same role she was at the beginning and where she was in the leaked outline GRRM put together when he was first selling the series. She's still siding with her families enemies so that part of the story probably hasn't changed much and she'll come to regret her choice of allies

Ran said something along the lines of "it might be controversial in some quarters of the fandom", which people blew out of proportion and used as fodder for their poison/rape theories.

Turns out that the controversy (that some people may experience) is Sansa's increased sexuality and the fact that it's used on Harry rather than the much more speculated about Littlefinger.

I don't see much increase in Sansa's sexuality. She's acting and feeling like a pretty young girl who wants to impress a certain older boy for whatever reason. She isn't thinking about having sex with him, there's no deepening of her understanding of her own sexual interest (which there doesn't necessarily have to be at her age, it's more of a gradual process). It's actually more healthy for Sansa to try to charm a 17-year-old boy than to charm Littlefinger or Joffrey or placate the Hound or endure Dontos' slobbery kisses; at least as long as it's a game of charming Harryrather than endure an unwanted wedding night or actual rape. Right now, Sansa is not thinking of the wedding night and what that will entail; in fact, she's put up the very real stumbling block of her true marital status as a mental stumbling block or defense. She's only set herself to accomplish the directive of the person she trusts more than anyone else in the Vale, the person who is keeping her alive and safe, Littlefinger, to make Harry want to marry her.

Archived