U.S. Politics - Let them who is without stones cast the first cake agaisnt the glass house

TerraPrime

What would be wrong with a two female ticket?

Sadly, that would be way to radical in the US , not that i have any problems with A female president and A female vp. Coming from A contry were half the cabinet is female, including the PM, the fact that us polititics is dominated by men absurd.

What would be wrong with a two female ticket?

One woman would be hard enough to accept. Both the President and VP candidate are women? I'd think the backlash would be too great to sustain.

One woman would be hard enough to accept. Both the President and VP candidate are women? I'd think the backlash would be too great to sustain.

On that note, expect to see the misogyny of the GOP reach new heights with Clinton campaigning/in office the same way racism did with Obama.

On that note, expect to see the misogyny of the GOP reach new nadirs with Clinton campaigning/in office the same way racism did with Obama.

FTFY

So no one hear is confident of Hillary energizing more young women (for instance) to offset fewer percentage of black voters turning out?

She doesnt strike me as a transformative figure capable of doing something like that, but you never know how 2016 will turn out until we get closer. Maybe she just needs better campaign staff (and a more effective grassroots organization, for pete's sake. )

Its a fair point (not that its bad if a ticket has two women, but that some portions of the country might think its bad). Most likely VP pick for Clinton is probably a white man between 45 and 55. But there's just not that many prominent Democratic politicians that fit that description anymore, which is why I'm so bullish on O'Malley.

So no one hear is confident of Hillary energizing more young women (for instance) to offset fewer percentage of black voters turning out?

She doesnt strike me as a transformative figure capable of doing something like that, but you never know how 2016 will turn out until we get closer. Maybe she just needs better campaign staff (and a more effective grassroots organization, for pete's sake. )

I said this exact thing last thread.

Clinton is likely to really bring out the women vote, gain back some white votes Obama lost and maybe not get quite as huge a black turnout, although having Obama campaign for her may help offset that effect.

I said this exact thing last thread.

Clinton is likely to really bring out the women vote, gain back some white votes Obama lost and maybe not get quite as huge a black turnout, although having Obama campaign for her may help offset that effect.

Booker for VP? Offset the offset?

The only thing with that is women generally already are voting more than their male counterparts, so you are talking about an already much more active voting block that for the most part has decided political leanings.

Hillary's biggest problems are, she's not an exciting candidate, she has a history of going with whatever is popular (she was with the Iraq War, then she wasn't, she was against gay marriage, then she wasn't), individually she doesn't have too many accomplishments (as a Senator she did next to nothing, her biggest issue as first lady was her failure to get healthcare, her run as SS is considered polarizing and Obama will get the lionshare of credit for most of that).

Funnily enough, booker was on the today show and my thought was that he'd make a killer veep slot if they can figure how to sell it without it feeling like pandering.

My worry is that omalley will have some past snarl deep six the campaign ala Eagleton.

Clinton could also consider Villaraigosa or Garcetti. The latter would be a superb choice in my opinion.

The only thing with that is women generally already are voting more than their male counterparts, so you are talking about an already much more active voting block that for the most part has decided political leanings.

Hillary's biggest problems are, she's not an exciting candidate, she has a history of going with whatever is popular (she was with the Iraq War, then she wasn't, she was against gay marriage, then she wasn't), individually she doesn't have too many accomplishments (as a Senator she did next to nothing, her biggest issue as first lady was her failure to get healthcare, her run as SS is considered polarizing and Obama will get the lionshare of credit for most of that).

I don't think this is true.

I see it from alot of people and I think it's more that she is perhaps not an exciting candidate to the demographics that populate these kind of discussions.

She's well liked by the base and I think she's very popular with certain gruops, especially the older female vote for whom she represents something.

"Not exciting" is sort of a catch-all descriptor that doesn't really say much of anything, imo.

As far as record as a Senator goes, Obama got elected with similar criticism. The trick is to give the voters something they can believe in and that can get them to the polls. If voters were concerned about Senate records, then people like long-term senators with long list of legislations will be shoe-ins for candidates. I don't think that's the case.

Assuming that Hillary wins the Democratic nomination, I wonder if Hillary's relative lack of charisma and likability will become a problem for her in the general election. I would say that both Bill Clinton and Obama are much better than Hillary at delivering a speech, giving an interview, and participating in a debate. She might also have an issue with being perceived as not being trustworthy. I'm also very curious about her platform. Is she going to try and push a populist message (I think she will), and if so, can she do so credibly with all her Wall Street ties?

I could see some of those issues negatively impacting Democratic voter turnout. On the other hand, her nomination would be historic, so I would expect increased turnout among certain demographics, like with women voters.

I'm actually looking forward to all the official announcements that should be coming in the next several weeks. I still have a modicum of hope that Hillary will face a credible challenger in the primaries.

Archived