U.S. Politics - Let them who is without stones cast the first cake agaisnt the glass house

TerraPrime

So no one hear is confident of Hillary energizing more young women (for instance) to offset fewer percentage of black voters turning out?

She doesnt strike me as a transformative figure capable of doing something like that, but you never know how 2016 will turn out until we get closer. Maybe she just needs better campaign staff (and a more effective grassroots organization, for pete's sake. )

I like her chances if Cruz ends up being the GoP's man. Though I can also see a lot of independents and moderate Republicans just choosing to stay home / at work on election day as they would not be motivated to vote for either option. It could be a very low turnout election, which would generally favour the candidate on the right.

So, you prefer a regime that prevents women from working, going outside without a male relative, driving or going to university, and bans any religion being practiced other than Islam, to a regime that allows all those things and has relatively (for the Middle East) free elections and media?

OK.

Women are allowed to go outside in Saudi Arabia without a male guardian, unless they're leaving the country, in which case they do need one. They can also work and attend university, but they do need the permission of a male guardian.

I like her chances if Cruz ends up being the GoP's man. Though I can also see a lot of independents and moderate Republicans just choosing to stay home / at work on election day as they would not be motivated to vote for either option. It could be a very low turnout election, which would generally favour the candidate on the right.

Cruz doesn't stand a chance and he knows it. He declared early so he could get his moment in the sun, basking in the national attention. As he's not a real candidate he can spew whatever he wants without it hurting his nonexistent chances. A year from now we will barely remember that Cruz is a candidate.

Cruz doesn't stand a chance and he knows it. He declared early so he could get his moment in the sun, basking in the national attention. As he's not a real candidate he can spew whatever he wants without it hurting his nonexistent chances. A year from now we will barely remember that Cruz is a candidate.

that is hurtful to all the fake candidates. of course we will remember him a year from now. I still remember ross perot and Herman Cain

Women are allowed to go outside in Saudi Arabia without a male guardian, unless they're leaving the country, in which case they do need one. They can also work and attend university, but they do need the permission of a male guardian.

You're not really helping with those clarifications. Saudi Arabia is merely grossly oppressive of women as opposed to extremely oppressive.

that is hurtful to all the fake candidates. of course we will remember him a year from now. I still remember ross perot and Herman Cain

Hey! Ross Perot actually ran for president, he wasn't an also ran for a party's nomination.

Herman Cain is memorable for the melanin content of this skin. If he was a white republican he'd have been forgotten before he even bowed out of the race. Either that or he would have won the nomination. Not sure which.

There's a long article here about Clinton's campaign. I completely agree with the point that she is a really unnatural politician which is part of why she still worries me.

That said, I do agree with upthread that Hillary has potential not just to get out more of the white vote than Obama (I've been saying that this should scare Republicans for years), but probably also get women voters out. Actually, single women for Hillary could be sort of like black folks for Obama; a Dem. constituency that shows up in greater number than usual for a candidate.

If you want to go black with your VP choice, Deval Patrick is a very good candidate. I would say better than Booker on paper but Booker maybe better in the star power category.

davos - I hope more than anything in this world that you are wrong and that Cruz wins the nomination, but I agree that it's quite unlikely.

Trisk, what do you think about garcetti as a running mate. I'd hate to lose him as mayor, but he would kill in Colorado new Mexico, Nevada and would make republicans spend a lot more resources in Texas and Arizona.

With Colorado as the tipping point state it's crucial to shore up there.

You're not really helping with those clarifications. Saudi Arabia is merely grossly oppressive of women as opposed to extremely oppressive.

I disagree, when someone posts something untrue, I see no harm in correcting it. Or would you prefer if we just start lying about regimes we disagree with? (Not saying the poster was purposely lying, but you saying we shouldn't correct false claims we know to be false is basically saying it's okay to lie), in which case, did you hear about the Syrian government's introduction of mandatory cavity searches to all Christian senior citizens in the country?

That said, I do agree with upthread that Hillary has potential not just to get out more of the white vote than Obama (I've been saying that this should scare Republicans for years), but probably also get women voters out. Actually, single women for Hillary could be sort of like black folks for Obama; a Dem. constituency that shows up in greater number than usual for a candidate.

I'm a single woman, so are many of my friends, I don't think any of them would be more likely to vote because of HC, the only people I've met who strongly support her are white boomer women. I mean most of them (my friends) would vote for HC if they vote, but she's not going to get them to the polls, unless they were going to vote anyway. If Maryland looks safely blue as I suspect it will, I will probably do a write in vote, I've been trying to think of the perfect write in to express my feelings about this.

Also if lots of black people remember how ugly she and BC were about race issues during the 08 primary (and certainly some of us will), it could actually depress the black vote below normal levels, I don't think it would make black people vote republican though, just less likely to vote, because whoever the GOP candidate is is probably going to be even uglier on this issue.

I'm a single woman, so are many of my friends, I don't think any of them would be more likely to vote because of HC, the only people I've met who strongly support her are white boomer women. I mean most of them (my friends) would vote for HC if they vote, but she's not going to get them to the polls, unless they were going to vote anyway. If Maryland looks safely blue as I suspect it will, I will probably do a write in vote, I've been trying to think of the perfect write in to express my feelings about this.

Polling says otherwise. Clinton has big support among women, even young ones.

Also if lots of black people remember how ugly she and BC were about race issues during the 08 primary (and certainly some of us will), it could actually depress the black vote below normal levels, I don't think it would make black people vote republican though, just less likely to vote, because whoever the GOP candidate is is probably going to be even uglier on this issue.

She'll have Obama backing her up and it's been 8 very healing-of-rifts years.

Hey! Ross Perot actually ran for president, he wasn't an also ran for a party's nomination.

Herman Cain is memorable for the melanin content of this skin. If he was a white republican he'd have been forgotten before he even bowed out of the race. Either that or he would have won the nomination. Not sure which.

That is offensive. Herman Cain was not memorable for being black. He was memorable for being a loon who thought America was a giant pizza store with a falsking sign in the window saying 999

I think she is much more likely to have her husband back her up than Obama. She will try to distance herself from him whenever possible

The only people who hate Obama is the right, and they hated Obama last election and lost bad. Hillary should trot out whoever is strong in that area of the country and should trot them out often. Her husband is good everywhere, Obama may not be strong in the south, but he kills it in the Northeast money sector. He will be in full fundraising mode soon enough. (not that he hasn't been).

Don't expect to see the sitting president sit home like Dubya did in 08

Yeah it's laughable to think that Hillary won't want Obama on the campaign trail. Campaign Obama is Best Obama, it is known.

And Scott Walker's former deputy chief of staff is getting ready to start a 6-month jail sentence for felony misconduct.

Kelly Rindfleisch, Walker's former deputy chief of staff, was convicted of a felony as a result of the John Doe criminal investigation that resulted in 15 felonies for six of Walker's staff and officials.
Rindfleish accepted a plea deal for one felony of misconduct in office for fundraising for Walker from her government office during working hours. She is the first person who will serve time in jail in the extensive investigation that did not implicate Walker. But as the governor embarks on a presidential run, the episode is a reminder of the ongoing controversy and investigations into his office.

The John Doe investigation, named such because of its secret proceedings, focused on Walker's run for governor in 2010 while he was the Milwaukee county executive. While Walker was never charged, the investigation uncovered that his employees were conducting campaign activity on the taxpayers' dime and that Walker and his staff used non-government email accounts to communicate with each other.

Meanwhile, a second John Doe investigation is ongoing that is looking into the potential of illegal coordination between Walker's recall campaign and outside political groups who are able to raise unlimited amounts of money.
While the evidence is sealed, leaked information revealed some emails that are evidence in the case. In one email, a Walker consultant sent an email to Walker adviser and the head of the Wisconsin Club For Growth that "The Governor is encouraging all to invest in the Wisconsin Club for Growth. Wisconsin Club for Growth can accept Corporate and Personal donations without limitations and no donors disclosure."

Wonder how much Koch money those people can look forward to when they leave jail, for falling on their swords for that corrupt schmuck?

That is offensive. Herman Cain was not memorable for being black. He was memorable for being a loon who thought America was a giant pizza store with a falsking sign in the window saying 999

and for being the front-runner for a week or two. True. But being a black Republican helped his memorability. There is no point in denying that.

Are we really supposed to believe that they did that without Walker's direction?

Sure, just like a junior colonel traded weapons to an America-hating state sponsor of terror in order to illegally fund terrorists in Central America and kept it totally secret from Saint Ronnie the Whitewashed and his senior staff.

Don't forget that Herman Cain is also the guy who ran campaign ads featuring his chief of staff smoking a cigarette. I still half-believe that whole campaign was some sort of elaborate performance art.

As for Obama, even if his popularity tanks again in the next year or so (right now his approval rating is back up to around 47%), he'd still be a major asset campaigning in majority-black neighborhoods. And if it stays even, he'll also be an asset in pretty much all urban centers, university towns, etc. Just keep him away from blue collar white towns and such, that's Bill's speciality. And I suspect Clinton will use Obama wherever he'll be effective, and not make Gore's mistaking of distancing from the party's sitting president.

Archived