Casting, News, and Speculation while waiting on Season 5 (show and book spoilers)

Associate Maester

Their treatment of Cersei has been very uneven in general. I don't really like the term "whitewashing," but they have been painting her in a far more sympathetic light than we get in the books, starting with Joff ordering the killing of the bastards. And you're totally right that this actively deceitful and Bobby Fischer-like Marg completely changes the face of the "rivalry." It might result in a similar-looking outcome (The Walk), but the context and characterizations at play will be completely altered (hence why I voted for Cersei). IDK, in a way, that's almost worse than the completely altered stories, because I think in this case, D&D do feel like they're doing the books justice. The devil is in the details.

Couldn't agree more.

I always find it funny when people on here try to claim that Cersei is whitewashed

but when I talk to show watchers about Cersei

They all say that they hate her guts and want her dead lol

I feel like you're giving D&D too much credit. I don't think they're changing this stuff to make Cersei more pitiful or whatever, but to paint Cersei as the ~annoying, crazy, jealous mom~ who should just chill out and be okay with her CHILD having sex and being sexually controlled by a much much older woman. furthermore, most people will probably root for the margaery/tommen "romance".

I don't know. I'm fairly certain this year the goal is to make Cersei crack. Cersei's been so far on control of her own actions, but now, she's gone far too long (Apparently, Tommen won't be that well received in KL as well.) I think the couple to root for is Trystane/Myrcella, and I'm fairly certain a Tyrell will die this year. I wouldn't even be surprised if they go Ann Boleyn on Margaery, just because "lol Natalie Dormer's second time", but I'm positive they are saving that for next year. This year, I'm betting on Loras.

I feel like you're giving D&D too much credit. I don't think they're changing this stuff to make Cersei more pitiful or whatever, but to paint Cersei as the ~annoying, crazy, jealous mom~ who should just chill out and be okay with her CHILD having sex and being sexually controlled by a much much older woman. furthermore, most people will probably root for the margaery/tommen "romance".

Words I never thought I'd hear, lol. I didn't think we were supposed to come away from this scene feeling good about their relationship, but I guess we'll have to wait for S5 to see what direction they're taking it. I'm not sure it's giving D&D the benefit of the doubt so much as I was assuming the viewers wouldn't take to kindly to such a problematic dynamic.

From what I can tell in interviews, they're major Cersei fans, yet have a striking misunderstanding of her character. They know she needs to fall, but they seem to be doing it in a much more sympathetic way for her (like her earnest love declaration to Jaime in the finale).

Their treatment of Cersei has been very uneven in general. I don't really like the term "whitewashing," but they have been painting her in a far more sympathetic light than we get in the books, starting with Joff ordering the killing of the bastards. And you're totally right that this actively deceitful and Bobby Fischer-like Marg completely changes the face of the "rivalry." It might result in a similar-looking outcome (The Walk), but the context and characterizations at play will be completely altered (hence why I voted for Cersei). IDK, in a way, that's almost worse than the completely altered stories, because I think in this case, D&D do feel like they're doing the books justice. The devil is in the details..

I agree. For me, the "whitewashing" started when we learned about Cersei's other child, the dark-haired one. They've gone to lengths to adapt her as a more conflicted character than her book-persona, which I didn't personally disliked at first, but then it just went overboard. You know when Cersei has a scene, she has a 85% chance of making a monologue about her children.

I always find it funny when people on here try to claim that Cersei is whitewashed

but when I talk to show watchers about Cersei

they all say they hate her guts and want her dead lol

thats because most people have basic ass taste and can't handle bitchy female villains

it doesn't help that tv tyrion is pretty much a fucking angel and that tv jaime is literally a puppy begging for her affection

for most tv audiences, women being mean to their fave antiheroes is enough to make people hate them. look at how much people hated skyler on breaking bad.

(and no i'm not saying that tv cersei has the same morality as skyler or that being mean to tyrion and jaime have been her only crimes, but just talking about basic things that audiences can't handle in female characters on tv)

If those spoilers are from you-know-where OMG please delete before we get into trouble again!

I don’t know, did you hear the commentary on that Cersei-Tywin scene in "The Children” where they were praising her for stumping Tywin and going on about how it proves she’s really Tywin’s true heir? I think they have the same opinions on Cersei that Cersei does.

all they said was that similarly to tywin, cersei doesn't make empty threats. and that's true....in the books too. that's not the same as saying that cersei has tywin's political competence.

I still think it's not D&D's intention for us to view it in a positive (at least it wasn't in S4, but we'll see how it's portrayed in S5), but you're completely right in how it will come across. We're both arguing shades of the same point I think?

I don't think it's meant to be portrayed negatively, though. It's one of those situations where I guess the show is "You should feel guilty for enjoying this too much."

It was beyond that. They talked about how she went up against Tywin and won, and that she's clearly Tywin's daughter.

that scene was an OOC mess but i just can't hate at this point whenever they give cersei some modicum of agency tbh. because i feel like her seasons 3 and 4 storylines were just her being abused by the men around her

I still think it's not D&D's intention for us to view it in a positive (at least it wasn't in S4, but we'll see how it's portrayed in S5), but you're completely right in how it will come across.

i feel like if it was really supposed to be a negative thing, D&D would write it differently

Harsh but acurate Chebyshov.

Back on topic:

So what do we say to ole Barrys supposedly untimely death on the show?

I'd say it isn't surprising although I wish he'd been more utilized in the show. I wonder what it means for things in Mereen when Dany is away. I wonder if Jorah will take over part of Barristan's role from ADWD. I think that's too early to speculate on though.

I'd say it isn't surprising although I wish he'd been more utilized in the show. I wonder what it means for things in Mereen when Dany is away. I wonder if Jorah will take over part of Barristan's role from ADWD. I think that's too early to speculate on though.

Yeah, I think the problem is it will get a bit crowded around Dany in season 6, so they need to make some cuts form her entourage now. Poor Barry (and I'm not even particulary fond of the character in books or show),

I'm going to propose something radical. How about people hold of the usual pitchforks and pyres until they see the episodes and how Marg/Tommen is handled (excluding people are always up in arms about the show).

:agree: x 1000. It doesn't make sense to criticize something when we haven't watch it. Why don't we wait until the episode airs, and then we can make our own opinion.

Yep. It isn't like there are dozens of threads for that sort of thing. No it has to spread to every thread.

Actually no, there isn’t a thread specifically for snobs like me to vent about the show. If there were I might be able to contain my crazy there. (*hint hint*)

There are so many candidates for the untimely death, but I think Barry the Scary is the prime candidate.

Archived