Ghost's true meaning?

dmhoeft

Hey everyone, its my first post but have been lurking for a while. I love the books and just finished ASOS and started the AFFC.

Just my opinion here:

In AGoT when Jon says his vows in front of the heart tree, Ghosts come running in with the hand and the way that GRRM describes ghost is very similar to the description of the heart tree. So does anyone else feel that ghost (and maybe the other direwolfs) represent the old gods? To me ghost represents the Jons old gods following him and keeping him safe (as possible lol). It seemed to really set in once Ghost comes running back to the wall after the battle at castle black and jon makes his decision about what he needs to do regarding Stannis Baratheon's offer. trying to avoid spoilers for those still reading

Anyone else agree or feel different?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think all the direwolves are closely tied in with the Stark children (and Jon), in a similiar way to Dany and her dragons.  After all, as far as I know these are the only two houses who have 'living' sigils with them, and this has happened for both houses only recently. Lannisters don't have lions running around after them, for example. KInd of why I worry about both Sansa and Arya, who both lost their direwolves very early on. The presence of the direwolves seems to have awakened warging potential to a greater (Bran) or lesser extent (Arya), which was probably always latent in the Stark line.  Even Ned and Cat recognised at different times how important the direwolves were to the children's survival.  Robb brought Grey Wind to his death, nearly finishing House Stark with his poor decision making. I do think that Ghost, like Jon, is a bit different though.  Even when he was a pup he was the one who had wandered or been driven off for being different. Time will tell just how significant they are...guess you can tell from my name that I LOVE DIREWOLVES!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived