The People have spoken: Top 5 Most Wanted POV Characters

House Obama

I’ve asked several readers which characters they wish had a POV chapter, and most chose these 5:

Robb

· Even GRRM admitted that he dropped the ball by not adding any chapters from Robb’s pov.

· People wanted to read exactly how “The King who lost the North” reacted to the news of The Fall of Winterfell.

· Many fans would’ve loved to read more chapters involving battle, which Robb’s pov would’ve most likely brought.

· Grey Wind. Fans of the series love Greywind, and many readers would love to see how beasty (bad joke) he was. Remember that direwolves are mystical-like animals to anyone in the seven kingdoms.

· Sex. There are many readers who wanted a little Fifty Shades of Grey in ASOIAF (even though I believe there are plenty scenes with sexual activity). Jeyne and Robb would’ve made it possible, though this would’ve been risky for GRRM because the two were minor in today’s society.

Oberyn Martell

· In ASOIAF he is actually very funny, unlike his tv counterpart (they’re both good though).

· Many readers would’ve loved to know what Oberyn was thinking doing Tyrion’s trail.

· The Prince was present during the small council, so readers could know what they actually talked about.

· Curiosity leads many readers into thinking that Varys and Oberyn may’ve spoke together, while he was in the capital. Doran said that he have friends at court.

· … Sex. Oberyn was known to have sex a lot, so some readers may like to read about that.

· Oberyn’s chapters would have allowed readers to care for him more, even though I still did. However, I did not feel emotional torn by his death; unlike the death of Robb Stark, and surprisingly Dancy Mormont…

· Here’s the simplest reason: Oberyn is badass.

Ramsey Snow

· Okay, okay, stay with me everyone… I know that Ramsey is a psychopath, but many readers think his chapters would be interesting because we’d get a chance to dive into his twisted mind.

· If Ramsey has chapters, then we would be able to see/read about Theon more! Many readers love the turncloak, so this would be a welcome addition…

· Mysteries. There are many mysteries surrounding the Boltons, so this may help readers to unravel them, though some readers may express discontent because his chapters may spoil them.

· I’ve asked many readers whether they think Ramsey may be funny (albeit in a twist, demonic, cringe worthy way), and to my surprise most of the readers asked said “yeah”.

· Say what you want about Ramsey, but he adds suspense to the story... However, at the end of the day, anyone who would love to read a Ramsey’s chapter has some psychological problems lol.

Robert Baratheon

· He was a very funny character in the series!

· Many readers wanted to see how one of his days was like, though many characters gave up a simple definition of a Robert’s typical day.

· He would probably allow reader to know more about his rebellion and about Lyana and Rhagaer (hopefully that’s how you spell it).

Rickard

· He’s another Stark, so House Stark’s fans would rejoice.

· Shaggy Dog. He’s a direwolf and everyone loves them.

· Readers could see how he’s grown up… perhaps he’s colder than Arya.

· The description of the land Rickard is currently living in would be good for the imagination

(MY Personal Choice) Kevan

· This is my personally most wanted pov. I was saddened when Kevan died, even though he only has one chapter. However, that chapter was so well-written, so braavos to GRRM (see what I did there). Kevan shock readers by being a great politician, something Tyrion never expected. Also, he is not afraid to take action when he must; for example, he fixed Cersei’s problems in KL very effectively.

Oberyn Martell

· In ASOIAF he is actually very funny, unlike his tv counterpart (they’re both good though).

He's very funny in the show as well. There is not a moment in book or show with Oberyn isn't badassery awesome. Although he should not have gotten so cocky and just killed stupid Gregor already.

I would have enjoyed a POV of Jaqen H'ghar

Blackfish. Just image Feast with even one or two chapters about the Red Wedding aftermath for the North and Riverlands. His feelings about Lysa staying out of the conflict, staying with Jeyne. I kept hoping he'd pop up.

It's Rickon Stark, not Rickard...

Sorry, autocorrect corrected it :/

He's very funny in the show as well. There is not a moment in book or show with Oberyn isn't badassery awesome. Although he should not have gotten so cocky and just killed stupid Gregor already.

I would have enjoyed a POV of Jaqen H'ghar

Jagen seems like a better character to learn about through others’ eyes imo.

I'd rather have Roose over Ramsay.

To me, Theon's chapters really tell me all I need to know about Ramsay.

Maybe there's more going on in there. But we know way less about Roose, like for example who his father was. What his "diversions" are.

I don't get the sense we'll ever get that info anywhere other than a Roose POV. He obviously isn't talking about it with Theon.

I'd rather have Roose over Ramsay.

To me, Theon's chapters really tell me all I need to know about Ramsay.

Maybe there's more going on in there. But we know way less about Roose, like for example who his father was. What his "diversions" are.

I don't get the sense we'll ever get that info anywhere other than a Roose POV. He obviously isn't talking about it with Theon.

I wouldn’t want a Roose’s pov because it would spoil the mystery surrounding him, at least to me.

I'd love a Tywin POV. Or Margaery.

I would like a Margaery’s pov too, but I think a Tywin one would sullen his character.

* I admit I am surprised by the 5 names in the OP as none would have occurred to me. I have zero interest in POVs from Ramsey, Robert, or Rickon. An early chapter from Robb would have been okay but not necessary. As for Oberyn, I don't crave a POV as much as wishing he had remained in the story longer. Both he and Syrio were great but short-lived characters.

* As far as POVs, Varys and Littlefinger would be the most intriguing but I don't see how the mysteries of their machinations could have been maintained with insight into those two minds.

* Mance, Old Nan, Bloodraven, Benjen, and Howland Reed are enigmas worth considering but, like Varys and Littlefinger, I think they must maintain their literary mental shields to protect the flow of the story to the readers. We will eventually uncover much of their knowledge without POVs.

* Perhaps the Iron Throne itself: It could comment on all the Kings and Hands who have sat upon it and the manner in which each ruled or failed to rule. It could comment on who got cut the most, who needed to lose weight, or who passed gas excessively. It could even represent the many swords that went into making the throne and let them have differing opinions...

.......what? It's fantasy, right?

Margaery/Ollena - Tyrell pov would have been interesting and these two seem fascinating characters

Grey Worm - if we saw some Essosi pov we might care more what is going there. Dany could have benefitted from having somebody who supports her observe her regime since now people seem to think nobody in Meereen likes her (but there should have been less Dany chapters, too much time in Meereen is boot good). And Grey Worm himself could be an interesting person given his life experience. But maybe someone like Rakharo or Missandei could have worked as well

Kevan - really loved his pov and I think that more perspective on war would have been nice

Someone from Vale - because I do not think we have even one and I like symmetry so this bothers me. Well maybe there is still a change, with prologue and epilogue chapters at least

And if there is a Robert's rebellion prequel then Tywin. I think it works for the series not to get in the heads of the most powerful people and he is villain too basically for the series so pov would have been strange. But I still would love to see one, I think he is fascinating

Dolorous Edd. Just imagine all his laments among the spearwives and what will he think about Jon Snow's and Bowen's actions.

I agree that too much information will remove several mysteries and enigmas that give life support to the story (and a lot of theories here in the forums). Althought, we have Ned POV chapters and we still don't know for sure who is Jon Snow's mother.

Also, I would like a Drogo's POV. What he thought of Viserys, Dany, Illyrio and Jorah; how he begun to trust Daenarys or his plans once he reached the Sunset Lands.

Anyone else think Maester Aemon would have been a brilliant POV? We would have got more Targaryen king backstory, a bit about Bloodraven coming to the wall, and his inner thoughts about The Others, Jon, Sam etc would surely have brought up some interesting new viewpoints.

Maester Aemon is another POV that would be too spoilerrific but I would enjoy it because the man has secrets. There is a reason (possibly more than one) why he told Jon that he had been called many things but not 'kind'.

Maester Aemon is another POV that would be too spoilerrific but I would enjoy it because the man has secrets. There is a reason (possibly more than one) why he told Jon that he had been called many things but not 'kind'.

Maester Aemon is probably one of my favorite characters. He was so insightful and flat out brilliant. I don't think we will see another character like him, or even one as capable and intelligent as he was.

My top five would be

Olenna Tyrell, I would love to know what's going on inside her head.

Roose Bolton, this would be akin to Aeron Greyjoy for me. Imagine how Roose Bolton thinks!

I would kill for a prologue style POV for Jon Arryn, the man is such a mystery to me and I'd be excited to see him working as the hand and what his perspective would have been like.

Tywin Lannister, I want to know the man and what his true motivations are. Mostly to prove my thesis that he's a good man gone bad. Really bad, lol.

And finally, some sorta flashback Bittersteel POV. What I wouldn't give to see things from his point, what really drives him to keep the Blackfyre rebellions going. I think there's a lot of opportunity for complex character here.

Archived