Any tips for starting to get into A Song of Ice And Fire books?

PituskySkydog

Hello, tomorrow I'm going to start reading the first book on A Song of Ice And Fire series of books so I was wondering if you guys would have any tips such as how to encourage yourself to continue reading in the beginning such as the prologue or any other tip...

Hello, tomorrow I'm going to start reading the first book on A Song of Ice And Fire series of books so I was wondering if you guys would have any tips such as how to encourage yourself to continue reading in the beginning such as the prologue or any other tip...

Make sure to really pay attention to things so that you don't miss them. You'll get a lot more enjoyment out of them when you can read in between the lines, because trust me there is even more stuff going on in the background than what is specifically wrote down on the paper.

Take it slow, read with attention, remember names and places and terms, but most importanly enjoy it.

Also I would suggest you disassociate the show from the books, if you have watched it. The characters does not always look alike, sound alike, speak alike, act alike, or have the same motivations for doing what they do.

I think that for you first read through just straight up read it just to get the characters down and plot. I think that slow reading and analyzing on the first read will kill ya, in my opinion. These books are meant to be reread and I think that on your second go through you should slow down and get the tiny details. On your first read through either refer to the appendix in the back or keep a note card nearby and make little family trees.

I think that for you first read through just straight up read it just to get the characters down and plot. I don't think that slow reading and analyzing on the first read will kill ya, in my opinion. These books are meant to be reread and I think that on your second go through you should slow down and get the tiny details. On your first read through either refer to the appendix in the back or keep a note card nearby and make little family trees.

That!

Just go along for the ride first, and if you have trouble keepig up with who's who, just make little name notes on a sidecard. The deeper layers and background stuff you will notice on re-reads, because after the first read you'll have some impressions and ideas about personalities and motivations, but on re-reading you'll start to notice how things were written much subtler; that it's a pov...

Just go for the ride, nothing but plot. Try to get where you can keep the major names down. (If you can identify every character in the Honest Trailer that the guy "can't name," you're doing fine) Don't be concerned if you can't remember the sigil for Ser Tom Brady of Hernandez Hall, or Ser Demarco Murray of Jones Hall, or whatever random throw-away name Martin cobbles together. Save the going back for details for a later time.

With that said, of course try and see how it pieces together. Just don't make it a job, rather than an enjoyable read.

• 1 month later...

Just go for it...! It will be a none stop reading, when you will have your head up again, you will be like all of us here desesperly waiting for the release date of WOW like if it was your "Precious".

• 1 month later...

I am rereading the books right now, since I just missed a lot the first time (I always want to know what happens in the next chapter, so I fly over the words).

Right now I am rereading with this forum in the background, and it helps a lot in order to read between the lines and get a lot more meaning out of the story.

If the story interests you, you shouldn't need encouragement. Just go with the flow. If you're one to be easily overwhelmed by names, jot a few names a character relationships down.

Read the books to enjoy them. Let your mind discover things on its own. No need to plot or plan anything. Its a lot more fun to discover stuff on your own than to be told beforehand. Of course you should pay attention, but, the books are written for the enjoyment of the reader.

1) I might suggest reading it on a Kindle or something similar, especially if you don't read fantasy often. There was a lot of words I didn't know in this series. And plus, it's easier to carry around than the actual books which are quite huge, unless you prefer to read small text on a mass market paperback version. Using a Kindle really enhanced my experience reading this series.

2) Take your sweet time. We don't know when Book 6 is going to be out. If you rush through Books 1-5, you are just going to join the waiting game with us which sucks tbh.

3) Be careful using the Appendix. It is all the way in the back, so you might glimpse who survived in the end. So ask somebody to bookmark the Appendix for you, so you don't see the material right before that.

4) This is pure opinion here, but I wouldn't get caught up in reading up all these theories after you are done, because a lot of them (imo) will turn out to be true, which might lessen the reading experience in Book 6 or even 7.

• 4 weeks later...
If you're the type who likes to take things slow during a first read, definitely do that with these books. Don't be afraid to write notes in a book you own, even if it's a first read those notes and insights can be helpful later on. If you don't like the idea of writing in a book, a notebook or text document works. Personally I don't think ASOIAF was meant for speed reading, but what matters most is reading in a way that's pleasurable for you.

My other bit of advice is to get the World of Ice and Fire app after you are done the first book. There's a setting that lets you look up characters and events without having future bits spoiled based on which book the marker is set.

I would recommend starting at the beginning of the first book and continuing page by page until you've ready all available books. You'll find the first page just past the cover of the book.

Haha, well said.

I'd be scared to start reading a book if people told me to have a notepad at hands and write down names, places and character relations before I even read the first page!

Just start reading and continue if you enjoy it...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I know I'm quite late, but I'd still like to give my two cents if that's ok. While reading, make you catch the small details, so I'd recommend reading slow and if you want, somewhat out loud. I've found that I remember more if I do it that way. Also, after every chapter, try to do the most in depth review you can think of. For example, just say it out loud like "Tyrion got caught by the Stone Crows." Sorry if that's a spoiler to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's two big tips man:

1 - Try and make a mental summary / review of what you just read. A simple sentence or two in your head summarizing what just happened ("TickTak7 baked Joffrey a cake, using his mother's recipe"). 

2 - BEST TIP: 

Always read a chapter or two, and then go visit: www.towerofthehand.com once you are done. 

Just click the book you are reading (GAME OF THRONES), and then click the chapter you just read (BRAN I, or NED III). They do chapter summaries that are very short and convenient.

Within their summaries though, they make notes to things that you might have missed - including notes of things that happen in future chapters / books. 

Even on my third re-read, it's crazy how I'll miss a small detail here or there. 

It's a great way to make sure you are extracting everything out of the chapters without missing anything, and they are very well written. 

Also - read at your own pace. Don't let the show, or anything else influence you. Enjoy them, and don't hesitate to let us know how it is. 

Archived