What's For Dinner v. 6

Xray the Enforcer

I live a loooooooong way from the South and have never even had black eyed peas :(

Have a front shoulder lamb roast going right now. My wife is gone to a wedding shower and she has not acquired my taste for lamb roasts. She loves ground lamb as burgers or gyros and lambchops, but not roasts.

I live a loooooooong way from the South and have never even had black eyed peas :(

Have a front shoulder lamb roast going right now. My wife is gone to a wedding shower and she has not acquired my taste for lamb roasts. She loves ground lamb as burgers or gyros and lambchops, but not roasts.

this has broken my hardened heart...how can a person live and not know the succulent taste of a squishy grey legume with a black eye staring you down, slow cooked with smoked pig and topped with a spicy relish (we call chow-chow...no clue why)...i weep for you ...

...but at least you've eaten the food of the gods known as cornbread served with greens swimming in pot-likker...surely the the world could not be so cruel as that!!!!

eta: i will happily trade a bag of peas for your wife's portion of the lamb roast.... ;)

You need black-eyed peas badly. Everyone does. If you come south, I will make sure you and the Mrs. get some. They will make you happy.

My dinner was delicious, btw. ☺️

Had a really delicious mushroom risotto last night with portobello, chestnut, oyster, shiitake, porcini and enoki mushrooms (some dried that I reconstituted in the stock before chopping).

Tonight, as its my partners birthday, canon of lamb, confit potato, new season asparagus and a red current sauce.

You need black-eyed peas badly. Everyone does. If you come south, I will make sure you and the Mrs. get some. They will make you happy.

My dinner was delicious, btw. ☺️

Sooo...a black eyed pea is really a bean, right? I have had lots of cornbread, but not with greens. With gravy or syrup, like a proper northerner.

Venison steaks tonight. Leftover lamb roast will be used for shepherd's pie tomorrow night.

I am a west coast boy who fucking loves black eyed peas and all legumes.

Tonight dinner was a hasty bowel of red beans cooked with my own tasso and bacon broth with scallions and hot sauce before I expedited dinner service.

Had a french chef yell at me years ago for not cooking my lentils with any pork.Since then all legumes seepig when cooking.

I am not a fan of Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, any of those chain pizza places. There's a neighborhood pizzeria that's my preferred place to go to for "real" pizza.

But my Sicilian father, likes Pizza Hut :dunno: So we go there a lot.

I recently tried their BBQ lovers pizza. Ho boy, I get to offend fans of "real" pizza and "real" BBQ with this but OMG it's good :drool: Can't believe how yummy it is.

Anyway just placed an order for my dad's usual pan pizza with onions and my BBQ lovers, that's dinner tonight :)

Made something weird. Rice made in stock with chilli powder, cumin and ginger. And Worcester sauce. Add in some mixed beans in a tomato sauce...this actually tastes pretty amazing. Bit of grated cheese on top and my tea has become an unwarranted success, considering the alternative was tuna mayo out of a bowl.

...combine the two...combine the two...tuna mayo with bean-y cheesy, ginger and cumin rice, yum! :p

If there is one thing I have learned as a student, it's more ingredients = better....well, "better."

Anyway, tea tonight was pasta mixed with roasted carrots, squash, peppers, red onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives and broccoli. Roasted them all in a little olive oil with some dried oregano, basil, rosemary and smoked paprika. Tasted really good. And, added bonus, leftovers veggies for tomorrow, yay!

Starter. Fig, feta and pistachio salad.

Main, lamb, roast new potatoes, roast carrots and red current sauce.

Desert, chocolate and salted caramel tart.

Salad was excellent,salty,m sweet and bitter\peppery.

Desert is made and smells excellent. A good evenings eating.

Rocket (arugula) and a balsamic dressing. I grilled the figs for three or four minutes. I marinated the feta in a little lemon juice and thyme to increase the acidity. It was really good.

Homemade vegetable soup with crusty wholemeal bread from the bakery (no, didn't bake the bread myself unfortunately. Don't really have the time or utensils to bake at my flat atm). But, still very nice.

I picked up a roasted chicken at the grocery store meaning to make a chicken soup with greens, and instead I made a sort of potage and added shredded chicken to it. I had bought spinach for the soup, then decided I may as well chop up and add the baby bok choy I had I the fridge, and then chopped up a head of leaf lettuce that I hadn't gotten around to turning into salad. I started with softening a chopped onion, some garlic and some chopped ginger, then adding the chopped bok choy and wilting it, then tossed in the chopped spinach and half a carton of vegetable broth I had left over from another recipe earlier this week. I also defrosted two portions of my homemade chicken broth, then decided to add the lettuce as well. I used my immersion blender to somewhat blend it up, and splashed in some half and half, maybe a couple of tablespoons, then threw in my shredded chicken.

Turned out absolutely delicious. I probably have 8 or 9 lunch portions or 6 or 7 dinner portions.

Archived