Balon Greyjoy (spoilers)

Godfrey

In the "War of Five Kings" dwarf battle that Joffrey has staged during his wedding feast, the dwarf representing Balon Greyjoy can be heard saying, "I'm drowning, I'm drowning!" when he is being defeated. This implies that Balon was washed away just as in the book, and the realm knows of it.

That said, I suspect the show will eventually acknowledge (if not depict) the death of Balon in a more explicit way. While I have my doubts that the Greyjoy story will be expounded upon, it's important to at least cover the fact that Mel's leeches did their trick.

In the "War of Five Kings" dwarf battle that Joffrey has staged during his wedding feast, the dwarf representing Balon Greyjoy can be heard saying, "I'm drowning, I'm drowning!" when he is being defeated. This implies that Balon was washed away just as in the book, and the realm knows of it.

That said, I suspect the show will eventually acknowledge (if not depict) the death of Balon in a more explicit way. While I have my doubts that the Greyjoy story will be expounded upon, it's important to at least cover the fact that Mel's leeches did their trick.

Well we know that Meli was almost certainly lying, she already knew those people were all going to die, she just did the leeches for show.

Anybody else think that them not doing the Greyjoy plot yet lends some credence to Daario = Euron? Obviously, it would be impossible to hide a secret identity like that on screen if they showed both story-lines. I never really believed that theory but now i sort of wonder...

Anybody else think that them not doing the Greyjoy plot yet lends some credence to Daario = Euron? Obviously, it would be impossible to hide a secret identity like that on screen if they showed both story-lines. I never really believed that theory but now i sort of wonder...

It would be a solid reason why they didn't include Euron or Victarion. Not even a mention.

I think Balon, the grey joys, Riverlands and the brotherhood are all done in the show.

While Tywin was talking to Oberyn at the brothel in 04x03, I think he mentioned that the Greyjoys are in open rebellion and Theon referred to Balon as "your king" and no one corrected him in Moat Cailin. That makes me think he's alive.

It would be a solid reason why they didn't include Euron or Victarion. Not even a mention.

I think Balon, the grey joys, Riverlands and the brotherhood are all done in the show.

Everybody who is not a "main character" is finished. Everything that is not King's Landing-related is over. When the show decided to end in 7 seasons (god knows why anyone would do that) they effectively chose a handful of characters to flesh out and left everything else on the floor.

SAD.

Victarion, Euron, Balon, The Brotherhood, The Riverlands, ACTUAL Dorne, Arianne, and every other subplot is over now. I mean, people still think they are going to see Lady Stoneheart!

They should have continued on developing new characters instead of idolizing the show with popularity and actor retention. Keep some and get rid of the mess that means nothing. Maybe this was poor planning.

But they have to show or, at least talk about, Balon dying, don't they? Stannis did throw the leach. It would take away from Mel's powers and wouldn't really make sense for Stannis to continue having so much faith in her if he doesn't die.

You make so much sense. That is why the show has gone sad. They will never mention Balon's death as if he never existed. Or, they might mention it but will not follow the aftermath. THEON Greyjoy has yet to speak a single line!

I was just talking with a friend, and since the show DECIDED to end in season 7 (why? The most popular and well-loved show) they have to "wrap up" the existing characters and create an ending for all the contracted actors. I have no idea why they WANT to end the show purposefully when the Source of the show (the books) keeps things fresh with continual new characters.

I had forgotten the Balon leach :) Maybe when they scripted that, there was an intention to go there but it is now ditched.

Everybody who is not a "main character" is finished. Everything that is not King's Landing-related is over. When the show decided to end in 7 seasons (god knows why anyone would do that) they effectively chose a handful of characters to flesh out and left everything else on the floor.

SAD.

Victarion, Euron, Balon, The Brotherhood, The Riverlands, ACTUAL Dorne, Arianne, and every other subplot is over now. I mean, people still think they are going to see Lady Stoneheart!

They should have continued on developing new characters instead of idolizing the show with popularity and actor retention. Keep some and get rid of the mess that means nothing. Maybe this was poor planning.

You make so much sense. That is why the show has gone sad. They will never mention Balon's death as if he never existed. Or, they might mention it but will not follow the aftermath. THEON Greyjoy has yet to speak a single line!

I was just talking with a friend, and since the show DECIDED to end in season 7 (why? The most popular and well-loved show) they have to "wrap up" the existing characters and create an ending for all the contracted actors. I have no idea why they WANT to end the show purposefully when the Source of the show (the books) keeps things fresh with continual new characters.

I had forgotten the Balon leach :) Maybe when they scripted that, there was an intention to go there but it is now ditched.

https://nighthawknews.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/no-country-for-old-men-4.jpeg

While Tywin was talking to Oberyn at the brothel in 04x03, I think he mentioned that the Greyjoys are in open rebellion and Theon referred to Balon as "your king" and no one corrected him in Moat Cailin. That makes me think he's alive.

I think what he says is more along the lines of the Ironborn being in open rebellion, which of course does nothing to gainsay the theory that Balon is dead. The Moat Cailin dialog isn't particularly convincing either way.

I am expecting them to come back to the Greyjoys (most likely in a shorter version with Euron not Vic) next season, also it seems the brother hood will be back as we know Walder Frey is back then too (or at least the actor suggested that).

I've had exactly the same thought - if Daario and Euron are one and the same then they obviously can't reintroduce the Iron Islands stuff until they're ready for us to know that Dany has a traitor in her midst. Sadly though, it's more likely that D&D just aren't that keen on the Ironborn.

I also think it's unlikely that Daario is Euron in disguise for the reason that the original Season 3 Daario didn't look anything like Euron or the Ironborn in general. Of course, it could be that D&D didn't know that Daario = Euron until after Season 3, and that that knowledge informed the re-casting of the part with an actor who looks a lot more like Euron, but I seriously doubt that.

Just to remind all of you that we haven't seen Balon Greyjoy's body in the books either. It is said he fell off that bridge, they had a kingsmoot, yes, but his body hasn't been found. And unless you see a body ...

Additionally, GoT has brought people back from the dead and the Greyjoy words are "What is dead may never die, but rise again harder and stronger."

This can only be interpreted as Balon Greyjoy lives. And he'll probably sit the Iron Throne in the end, which would be hilarious.

Archived