Hugo Drama 2015

David Selig

I wonder if his hugo blogging could be nominated for a hugo. :P

Yes, I believe that it's technically eligible, although I'll need to check the rules to make sure. Probably under "related works," since the nomination would be for a series of posts, and not the blog in general.

I suggest a new award category - "Most Ridiculous Hugo Related Overreaction". Lots of candidates this year, but currently Torgersen is leading in my book. The whole week he's been posting on his blog stuff about GULAGs, Orwell and the decline of western civilization because people were pissed off about his slate.

I just find the accusations and the reactions to be so confusing, especially "WorldCon is a nastee clique and I felt so alone there cos I knew nobody". Well...that's how it's going to be until you get to know people, isn't it? You can't arrive as a new writer/fan/whatever and just assume that everyone will be your best mate?? I haven't even made an effort to really befriend people in the WorldCon community proper, yet I still got friendly vibes and assumed had I wanted to, I could have volunteered and got a bazillion new friends faster than I could say "I'll be happy to take on whatever task you need help with".

The people I actually bothered to have fan-related conversations with, both in London and Glasgow (the only two WorldCons I have been to) were amazing. We chatted about the genre we love so of course we got along famously.

For a new category, I vote for just having a Hugo Stupidity award.

Yes, I believe that it's technically eligible, although I'll need to check the rules to make sure. Probably under "related works," since the nomination would be for a series of posts, and not the blog in general.

Hm, maybe under Fan Writer? He's writing this on this own as a fan and not as an author. That's what Kameron Hurley won last year for her article, "We Have Always Fought" on A Dribble of Ink. And that's what Laura J. Mixon is up for this year for her BS/RH investigation.

Ruh roh. Also gave to say GRRM is killing it on his blog. I wonder if his hugo blogging could be nominated for a hugo. :P

I just finished GRRM's rebuttal. I have never come across a bigger sense of entitlement anywhere than the stuff GRRM quoted. Correia comes across as someone who thinks the sun shines out of his ass and just ignore that big ball of incandescent gas hanging in the sky. It's just that nobody will give me a rope, those evil bastards, I could outshine that thing if all the cool kids didn't take all the ropes away.

New twist in the saga - one of John C. Wright stories turned out to be ineligible (it was first posted on his site at the end of 2013), so it was replaced with The Day The World Turned Upside Down by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Lightspeed Magazine, April 2014)

I guess that means at least there will be one non-Puppy nominee in the short fiction categories. I imagine it has a good chance of winning, unless the Sad Puppies buy a lot of supporting memberships, although it's a pity that the quality of the story might be largely irrelevant in terms of whether it wins or not.

Connie Willis has just refused to take part in this year's Hugos.

But then Vox Day and his followers made it impossible for me to remain silent , keep calm, and carry on. Not content with just using dirty tricks to get on the ballot, theyre now demanding they win, too, or theyll destroy the Hugos altogether. When a commenter on File 770 suggested people fight back by voting for No Award, Vox Day wrote: If No Award takes a fiction category, you will likely never see another award given in that category again. The sword cuts both ways, Lois. We are prepared for all eventualities.

I assume that means they intend to use the same bloc-voting technique to block anyone but their nominees from winning in future years. Or, in other words, If you ever want to see your precious award again, do exactly as I say. Its a threat, pure and simple. Everyone who votes has been ordered (under the threat of violence being done to something we love) to let their storiesstories which got on the ballot dishonestlywin.

In my own particular case, I feel Ive also been ordered to go along with them and act as if this were an ordinary Hugo Awards ceremony. Ive essentially been told to engage in some light-hearted banter with the nominees, give one of them the award, and by my presenceand my silencelend cover and credibility to winners who got the award through bullying and extortion.

Well, I wont do it. I cant do it. If I did, Id be collaborating with them in their scheme.

Marko Kloos and Annie Bellet have withdrawn their nominations.

From Kloos' post:

Dear friends and readers:

I have officially withdrawn my acceptance of the Best Novel nomination for “Lines of Departure” at this year’s Hugo Awards.

It has come to my attention that “Lines of Departure” was one of the nomination suggestions in Vox Day’s “Rabid Puppies” campaign. Therefore—and regardless of who else has recommended the novel for award consideration—the presence of “Lines of Departure” on the shortlist is almost certainly due to my inclusion on the “Rabid Puppies” slate. For that reason, I had no choice but to withdraw my acceptance of the nomination. I cannot in good conscience accept an award nomination that I feel I may not have earned solely with the quality of the nominated work.

From Bellet:

I have withdrawn my story “Goodnight Stars” from consideration in this year’s Hugo Awards.

I want to make it clear I am not doing this lightly. I am not doing it because I am ashamed. I am not doing it because I was pressured by anyone either way or on any “side,” though many friends have made cogent arguments for both keeping my nomination and sticking it out, as well as for retracting it and letting things proceed without me in the middle.

I am withdrawing because this has become about something very different than great science fiction. I find my story, and by extension myself, stuck in a game of political dodge ball, where I’m both a conscripted player and also a ball. (Wrap your head around that analogy, if you can, ha!) All joy that might have come from this nomination has been co-opted, ruined, or sapped away. This is not about celebrating good writing anymore, and I don’t want to be a part of what it has become.

Wow. That is a hell of a decision for Kloos and Bellet to make. Kudos to them for sticking to their principles.

I'd like to think if I were in their shoes, I'd do the same... but a Hugo nomination is a Hugo nomination. It would be so painful to withdraw! Mad props.

ETA: also wanted to add that I've never read Bellet's work, but Kloos's stuff is good sci-fi.

Marko Kloos and Annie Bellet have withdrawn their nominations.

If nominations are withdrawn then do new stories get promoted onto the ballot similar to the stories ruled ineligible? Presumably at some point the ballot gets finalised, but I don't know if that's happened yet?

I do feel a little bit sorry for some of the authors thrust into the middle of the controversy. Perhaps they should have thought a bit harder before agreeing to let Torgersen recommend them but many of those nominated don't seem to have been actively involved in the campaign and as far as I can tell Vox Day didn't ask for permission before putting them on his slate.

Heuvelt's been on the ballot before, so I'm not too worried about a lack of quality.

I thought his nominated story last year was the weakest of the nominees I read (I didn't read last year's Sad Puppy nominees), but maybe this one is better.

If nominations are withdrawn then do new stories get promoted onto the ballot similar to the stories ruled ineligible? Presumably at some point the ballot gets finalised, but I don't know if that's happened yet?

If a nomination is declined, then normally yes, but this is the first time I've heard of nominees withdrawing after the initial announcement. I guess we'll see (also, it's possible the next one down in the Short Story category may not meet the 5% rule).

If it does mean new stories get promoted, then it leaves the Novella category as the only one which is entirely Puppy.

Archived