Clive Barker

Aerys Blackfyre

I read "Weaveworld" earlier this year (because it was recommended on some list, seemed to be his most important novel and the blurb sounded interesting, I had not been aware of the Hellraiser movie). It is very imaginative, quite original and well done but too long for my taste and I was not completely convinced overall. It has some extremely digusting horror bits (which are overall not so important, so I guess they are in there for the squick). Altogether it was somehow less than its parts and I did not love the book.

I love the Clive Barker books I've read so far. And I'm not even a fan of horror.

The Damnation Game gave me nightmares. Mr. B Gone is freaking unique, nasty and hilarious.

The Damnation Game...yeah.

I have read the first two Abarat books and really enjoyed them. They are "young adult" and have some fantasy aspects that one normally doesn't find in books written for adults (for example, the fantasy world is made up of islands each of which is forever stuck at a particular time on the clock, such as 8 a.m., midnight, etc.) but if one can deal with that they are very well done.

I've also read Weaveworld and Coldheart Canyon. I think I had a reaction similar to Jo498's for both of them: very imaginative and well done but the "horror" aspects were just more gross-out disgusting than being really frightening.

I read the book that Hellraiser was based on when I was a teenager. Never saw the movies, but I remember enjoying the book thoroughly.

The Hellbound Heart, very good book, short too.

I really liked his short stories as collected in "The Books of Blood". Very much horror in the splatter punk vein, but far better written than most of the splatter punks. Super imaginative too.

I read multiple of his books and remember liking Galilee and Weaveworld. Arbarat is great as well, especially when you can get your hands on the illustrated editions.

I'm a fan. Barker has some really inventive and quirky settings and characters. It's been quite a while since I've read him, but I remember enjoying Imagica, Weaveworld, and The Great and Future Show a whole lot. Weaveworld is pretty damn awesome.

My daughter (and me, too) is a huge fan of The Thief of Always, an adolescent kid's book about a boy who's tricked into going to a house where all the seasons and celebrations of the year occur every day - Spring in the morning, Summer at noon, Autumn in the afternoon, and Winter (and Christmas!!!) every evening. Lots to eat, lots of fun, but wait...is everything really as pleasant as it seems? Some very scary stuff happens. Excellent illustrations also by Barker. Love.

I'd recommend him.

edited for clarification

I'm a fan. Barker has some really inventive and quirky settings and characters. It's been quite a while since I've read him, but I remember enjoying Imagica, Weaveworld, and The Great and Future Show a whole lot. Weaveworld is pretty damn awesome.

My daughter (and me, too) is a huge fan of The Thief of Always, an adolescent kid's book about a boy who's tricked into going to a house where all the seasons and celebrations of the year occur every day - Spring in the morning, Summer at noon, Autumn in the afternoon, and Winter (and Christmas!!!) every evening. Lots to eat, lots of fun, but wait...is everything really as pleasant as it seems? Some very scary stuff happens. Excellent illustrations also by Barker. Love.

I'd recommend him.

edited for clarification

Weaveworld was awesome. I did read some other stuff by him after and maybe I was spoiled but it did not have the same impact.

Archived