Who do you think will be the 13 POV characters at the start of WINDS?

Liaraeyne

The last hero and his twelve companions (13), the 13th Lord Commander ruling for 13 years as the Night King, now 13 POVs for TWoW.

I assume the number is wrong but GRRM dropped a tricky hint we will see the Night King 2.0 in TWoW.

And it will be Jon Snow, rising with blue eyes, a Ghost in the Snow (and a Snow in Ghost).

At the beginning of the book, it will be

Tyrion Lannister

Sansa Stark

Arya Stark

Aeron Greyjoy

Victarion Greyjoy

Theon Greyjoy

Arianne Martell

Barristan Selmy

Daenerys Targaryen

Jon Connington

Cersei Lannister

Jaime Lannister

Areo Hotah

Three of the confirmed pov characters are at the Battle of Meereen to start the book. I think either Barristan or Victarion will die at this battle if not both, and then Jon's pov will return later in whatever form he is. Jon Connington will either die at the battle of Storm's End or his pov will not be needed once Arianne gets to them. Daenerys will obviously have one, and Cersei will be the pov for King's Landing. Areo Hotah is needed for the Darkstar storyline, and the Lady Stoneheart plot will be from Jaime's pov. The deaths of some pov characters and the intertwining of others will lower the number of povs, then we will get Bran Stark, Samwell Tarly, and Davos Seaworth at different points. Generally this will be a book where characters will come together and not as many povs will be needed, so when more characters collide with others, we will get the povs that we don't immediately get early in the book.

Meereen

1. Daenerys

2. Barristan

3. Victarion

4. Tyrion

North

5. Melisandre

6. Jon

7. Asha

8. Theon

9. Davos

Dorne

10. Arianne

11. Areo Hotah

Braavos:

12. Arya

Storms End:

13. Jon Connington

Kings Landing:

14. Cersei

Elsewhere:

15. Jaime Lannister

16. Brienne

17. Aeron Damphair

18. Sansa

19. Bran

20. Davos

21. Sam

I don't know about the whole number 13 POVs in WOW but I do know that Martin was going to be killing off some POVs, and I think I have a pretty good idea as to at least a few who won't see the end:

Victarion, Barristan, Asha or Theon (not both), Brienne or Jaime (not both), Melisandre, Jon Connington. That takes it down to 15.

Who else will get cut?

Location Character #1 Character #2 Character #3 Character #4 Character #5

Braavos Arya Stark

Slavers Bay Danaerys Targaryen Tyrion Lannister Barristan Selmy Victarion Greyjoy Quentyn Martell*

Kings Landing Cersei Lannister

Riverlands Brienne of Tarth Jaime Lannister

Castle Black Jon Snow* Melisandre

Beyond the Wall Bran Stark

North Theon Greyjoy Asha Greyjoy

Skagos Davos Seaworth

Iron Islands Aeron Greyjoy

Vale Sansa Stark

Dorne Areo Hotah

Oldtown Samwell Tarly

Stormlands Arianne Martell Jon Connington

Deceased Ned Stark Arys Oakheart

Undead Catelyn Tully

This is a list of all POV (non Prologue/Epilogue) in ASOIAF and their current locations.

*The asterisk for Jon Snow is bc we aren't sure if he is dead or not, the same with Quentyn Martell (I think he is dead, but some subscribe to the Tattered Prince Theory).

I think the 13 number is both a mistake and impossible. For one thing, GRRM also stated in that interview that AGOT had 7 povs, when it really had 9, so I think he was just forgetting some people. Besides, the 8 already confirmed include too many minor characters for the 13 number to work. There are too many needed characters missing. I think it will be at least the following povs (not counting the prologue and epilogue, if there is one), all of whom are necessary to the story:

confirmed:
1. Arianne Martell
2. Baristan Selmy
3. Aeron Greyjoy
4. Victarion Greyjoy
5. Theon Greyjoy
6. Arya Stark
7. Sansa Stark
8. Tyrion Lannister

unconfirmed, but necessary:
9. Daenerys Targaryen
10. Davos Seaworth
11. Jaime Lannister
12. Cersei Lannister
13. Jon Snow (I don't subscribe to the speculation that he is dead)
14. Samwell Tarly
15. Aero Hotah

16. Bran Stark

I think the following don't necessarily need povs, but they should all be in the book at least:
17. Asha Greyjoy
18. Jon Connington
19. Brienne
20. Melisandre

I find your lack of faith for JonCon's chapters disturbing.

Hasn't GRRM talked about the possibility of a Jon Con chapter about the battle of Storm's End?

I think the 13 number is both a mistake and impossible. For one thing, GRRM also stated in that interview that AGOT had 7 povs, when it really had 9, so I think he was just forgetting some people. Besides, the 8 already confirmed include too many minor characters for the 13 number to work. There are too many needed characters missing.

The fact that they are confirmed doesn't mean necessary that they appear early in the story.For example in DWD we knew about the chapter "The wayward Bride" but it was near the half of the book.Not to mention the major characters Cersei,Arya and Jaime who had chapters near the end of the book.

On the way home from the office tonight, I listed to a Bran POV from aDWD where he first wore the skin of the WeirNet as well as a Raven. Brynden Rivers told Bram that it might be a year or longer until Bran could see beyond the sight of weirwood trees. I suspect it will be sooner because Bran is a Stark Greenseer, and because of the era the story explores.

Now to my point...

How many POV's and/or plot threads could be covered in WoW by Bran POV's? Some ideas:

- Davos's adventure seeking and retrieving Rickon and Shaggy with Bran wearing Shaggy's skin

- Kingslanding threads from Arya's tomcat and/or other animals

- the fate of Brienne, Pod, and Jamie via Bran wearing Lady Stoneheart's skin (Bran frees them), or just whatever animals are nearby

- Jon's fate via Ghost and/or Wan Wu Wan

- the intrigue at the Citadel via ravens

Well, you get the idea!

Fed

GRRM has said there will be 13 POVs at the start of WINDS (note, he may change his mind). Who do you think the 13 POV characters will be in WINDS?

These are the first 8 confirmed characters:

1. Aeron Greyjoy

2. Sansa Stark

3. Arya Stark

4. Arianne Martell

5. Theon Greyjoy

6. Barristan Selmy

7. Tyrion Lannister

8. Victarion Greyjoy

I can't see it being 13, given the 8 confirmed. That leaves 5 to tell the rest of the story, and I can't see that being enough.

1. Dany. Left on a bit of a cliffhanger, very unlikely we won't see her for a whole book.

2. The Wall. One of either Mel or Jon will be needed to pick up events at Castle Black. We might even see both.

3. King's Landing. Cersei has to be included as the only POV in the city. The trial, the High Sparrow, Varys and Kevan, the sand snakes, way too much going on to be put on hold.

4. Jaime and Brienne. One POV might suffice here but it could be argued that each characters arc deserves at least a chapter each.

5. Bran. Possibly could go a book without him, but I doubt it.

6. Davos. Again we could go a book without the Onion Knight, pick up the search for Rickon later, or have it resolved through the eyes of another like Theon or Jon.

7. Sam. Possibly could go a book without him but again, I doubt it. Too much going on in that arc between Marwyn, glass candles, faceless men, Sallera, etc.

8. Jon Con. Could be dropped if Arianne becomes part of Aegon's group.

9. Areo. I think we will see him as our only eyes left in Dorne.

10. Asha. Could drop as Theon is in the same area, but again I think her character's arc deserves at least another chapter or two.

Now 13 left by the end I could buy.

1. Aeron Greyjoy

2. Sansa Stark

3. Arya Stark

4. Arianne Martell

5. Theon Greyjoy

6. Barristan Selmy

7. Tyrion Lannister

8. Victarion Greyjoy

9. Walder Frey

10. Walder Frey

11. Walder Frey

12. Walder Frey

13. Walda Frey

Would be riveting, wouldn't it?

Confirmed POVs do not mean that they will take part in the early TWoW. You should consider the dangling plots and cliffhangers. That is why, I don't think Aeron will be in the first part of TWoW. More like, he will do something after Euron is killed at Oldtown. Aeron is safely parked to wherever George wants him to be and will stay there until George needs him to do something meaningful for the plot. Sam is also safely parked to Oldtown and he needs some off-screen time to learn stuff.

It is obvious that the Battle of Ice and Fire should be concluded as soon as possible. So, Theon (1), Barristan (2), Tyrion (3) and Victarion (4) are definitely in the first part of TWoW.

Besides, We should have action in fAegon's side. So, Arianne (5) and JonCon (6) are also safe bets. Cersei's trial was very late compared to the rest of the books, so we should have its conclusion to catch other events we already know. That means Cersei (7) is a safe bet in early part of TWoW too.

After Cersei's return to power, we can have that Mercy (8) chapter. The recent Alayne (9) chapter should also be given at any part of the early TWoW.

I expect Jaime (10) POV(s) until the situation with UnCat is resolved. After Jaime leaves, we can have Brienne POVs but she can wait to serve some other purpose (like participating in the Second Red Wedding). But that might not take place at the first part of TWoW with so many things to tie up before going there.

The rest of the POVs will be somewhat isolated from the others. We need Dany (11), Jon (12) and Mel (13) POVs for sure. I expect Bran to be present in other Northern POVs (as a raven or a tree) at the first part of TWoW but his own POVs can still wait. He is learning too much!

• 2 weeks later...

CONFIRMED

1. Sansa

2. Arya

3. Tyrion

4. Aeron

5. Arianne

6. Victarion

7. Barristan

8. Theon

VERY LIKELY: It is a good bet that most of the following will appear.

9. Bran - one of the Big 6.

10. Dany - one of the Big 6.

11. Cersei

PLAUSIBLE: Two of the following 4 will appear, bringing it up to 13: In order of likelihood.

12. Jon Snow: (He's one of the Big 6, and I don't think he's dead. But his POV may still go on a book-long hiatus).

13. Asha: (No longer essential, now that she's met Theon).

14. Davos: (We may not see him again til he returns from his mission; but when he returns, he may show up in another characters' POV).

15. Jon Con: (A limited purpose character, but I see no clear signs GRRM is done with him just yet).

UNLIKELY

16. Mel. (GRRM told us she was introduced for a limited purpose. That purpose is probably done.).

17. Hotah. (Another limited purpose POV; he's there to give us hints of what Doran is up to WITHOUT telling us the full story. I think we already know all GRRM intends to tell us. The rest we will find out when other POVs find out).

18. Brienne. (Did we find out what happened after she shouted "sword"? No we did not. Her POV run has been interrupted and, since she is not one of the Big 6, I see no good reason to assume it will resume. If GRRM no longer wants us to know what she is up to; then we will find out what she is up to when other POV characters do; in which case her POV is no longer needed).

19. Jaime. (Did we find out what happened after Brienne lured him into a trap? No we did not. Weeks have passed and he was only expecting a day's ride. His POV run has been interrupted. Again, he is not one of the Big 6, so there is no good reason to assume it will resume. We will find out what he is up to when other POVs do.)

20. Sam (An evil cabal just pumped him for information, and then an assassin lured him to an out-of-the way place. I think that's curtains for poor Sam. When we next see him, he'll be a faceless man in disguise.)

I think the 13 number is both a mistake and impossible. For one thing, GRRM also stated in that interview that AGOT had 7 povs, when it really had 9, so I think he was just forgetting some people. Besides, the 8 already confirmed include too many minor characters for the 13 number to work. There are too many needed characters missing. I think it will be at least the following povs (not counting the prologue and epilogue, if there is one), all of whom are necessary to the story:

confirmed:

1. Arianne Martell

2. Baristan Selmy

3. Aeron Greyjoy

4. Victarion Greyjoy

5. Theon Greyjoy

6. Arya Stark

7. Sansa Stark

8. Tyrion Lannister

unconfirmed, but necessary:

9. Daenerys Targaryen

10. Davos Seaworth

11. Jaime Lannister

12. Cersei Lannister

13. Jon Snow (I don't subscribe to the speculation that he is dead)

14. Samwell Tarly

15. Aero Hotah

16. Bran Stark

13 is perfectly possible. If GRRM was mistaken about AGOT, that only proves he was mistaken about AGOT, not that GRRM is such a complete idiot that we can automatically disregard everything he says on any topic (like Book 6) because we know better (even though we don't). Anyhow, GRRM's statement is roughly correct. AGOT had 7 POVs (by the end, but not at first); whereas Book 6 will have 13 at the beginning and fewer at the end.

I crossed out the ones on your list that are not "necessary". I'm not sure Davos and Jon Snow are strictly necessary either. Sam has been offed by a faceless man. Areo has served his purpose. And Jaime's POV ceased after he followed Brienne into the darkness. We don't know what happened to Jaime, because we're not supposed to know. We'll see him when other POVs see him.

Archived